PDA

View Full Version : cutting out during steady throttle

mbellaver
08-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Is the carb just in need of a cleaning, or is it a jetting issue. I don't recall it doing it when I bought it, but I was a pretty green to the quads and motorcycles then. Here is what it does:

* Starts and idles fine
* accelerates great
* top end seems fine

**sputters and cuts out a little when trying to hold a steady speed except for full throttle

It is a 400 with a KN filter, open air box, white e-series pipe. Unsure of jetting as I haven't pulled the carb. I'd like to know what jets should be in it before I pull the carb.

Anyone?

MtnEX
08-20-2008, 08:35 PM
I don't know... but I'll give this a bump back to the top for you.

Mine does this too... at steady throttle in neutral.

I'm trying to figure out how to feed it some Seafoam right out of the can direct.

REPOMAN
08-20-2008, 09:07 PM
truely it would be alot easier to diagnose the problem if main jet size was known

leasureryan
08-20-2008, 09:50 PM
I think he is saying he has never changed it from stock....and all the sudden it started doing it. Doesn't sound like a jetting issue if thats the case

REPOMAN
08-21-2008, 03:24 AM
if it is stock jetting then that could absolutely be the problem. especially with the lid removed. he also said he was new to quads when he bought so he could have overlooked the problem then

mbellaver
08-22-2008, 05:39 AM
ok, I'm a little embarassed here..... It turns out that the choke was on just a little bit! My choke lever seems like it is off, but you actually have to push it a little past where it stops to get it off. Also, I did run some sea foam through it before finding the choke on, so that may have helped as well. Eventually, I'll pull the carb off and see what I've got for jetting. Thanks for responding.

MtnEX
08-22-2008, 01:07 PM
How'd you decide to feed it the Seafoam?

mbellaver
08-22-2008, 01:10 PM
i just used it as the label says....1 oz per gallon......

MtnEX
08-22-2008, 02:19 PM
I want to try feeding it direct into things strong like I did on my wife's SUV and my lawnmower. Then some in the gas.... and I might get a wild hair and try it in the oil for the first time.