PDA

View Full Version : White Bros & Yoshi (my observations)

MtnEX
08-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Sunday I had the opportunity to ride with another 400EX owner.

The guy had what appeared to be a White Bros E-series slip-on on a stock headpipe. It's a disc system, which I thought about strongly, but didn't go through with for a couple reasons.

For me, the discs seemed like a good and bad idea.
I figured it would be something I would be all the time messing with.

Anyways, the performance didn't seem bad for what it was.

The sound of it was good and bad. The sound is destictive for sure. From a good distance, it has a very nice sound in periods of snapping the throttle. It sounds like an MX dirtbike is out there ripping up the woods. From this distance, it has a very nice throttle snappy sound. The exhaust notes sound as tight together as I have ever heard on an ATV. Destinctive sound.

On the down side, is the noise. It's not bad, but then the ripping throttle notes are so loud and carry so far. Could be very annoying to those who are against us.

It also has a very 'tight' exhaust sound to it though. Almost a restrictive tight. Not saying that's bad though... cause I don't know that. Just saying it has a tight sound.

I did like the fact I didn't feel his exhaust blast in my face when I followed him to another trail though.

On the flip side, my Yoshi full system has a larger than stock header. It doesn't seem quite as loud. The exhaust note is a deeper tone... and the exhaust notes are farther apart. Get anywhere near behind me and you will feel my exhaust blast in your face... even at idle.

Yoshi has a VERY thump~thump sound at idle, like a helicopter.
White Bros has a pop-pop-pop sound at idle.

When you hit the throttle, the Yoshi has whaaaap sound
When you hit the throttle, the White Bros has a BlaT sound

The exhaust notes on the White Bros always seems to be closer together at all times. It almost seemed like it built RPM quicker than mine maybe... and it certainly had more backpressure on decel.

I don't know that the torque curve, power curve or power output is all that much different. I have no idea... I'm still learning. (I'd liek to see some dyno charts) I just found it interesting that the two seemed that distictively different from eachother. It was unexpected.

In the long haul though, when I have to have internal engine work done.... it would just seem to me that I have more room to grow.... as in I think my Yoshi is already ready to accept more thrown at it.... which should lessen the pain of a rebuild.

RaginRedneck
08-12-2008, 01:26 AM
MtnEX,
Props to you for giving a fairly balanced report. Most report that their exhaust is the best, everything else sucks. That being said there seems to be a fairly different sound/power difference between slip-ons and full systems. Regardless, THANKS for the info and insight!

-Ragin-

MtnEX
08-12-2008, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by RaginRedneck
MtnEX,
Props to you for giving a fairly balanced report. Most report that their exhaust is the best, everything else sucks. That being said there seems to be a fairly different sound/power difference between slip-ons and full systems. Regardless, THANKS for the info and insight!

-Ragin-

If I can't post something I think someone might find useful in their search for information... then what's the point of it?... Ya know?

What you said is why I didn't even bother digging for pipe info. Waste of time is what I figured it would be. I'd bet I missed out on something I might could have chosen better for "me". But lord what it would have probably taken to figure that out.

For instance, I might have gone with the FMF powerbomb if I had known it was out there. I've been riding quads since 2-strokes and the idea of a 4-stroke expansion chamber catches my interest.

Or if I had know Curtis Sparks had everything from the intake to the exhaust straight from them to work together I might have went that way.

I wanted a package that worked together, was not too loud, gave me more power and torque, looked good and was made of better materials to last and stay looking good. I was surprised when Yoshi and Honda came up in the same conversation. I had always associated them with Suzuki.

At this point I think I got a little better performance and a lot better quality than stock.... and a system that can carry future mods.

Overall, to be honest, I think it turns out Honda did pretty well on performance with their stock exhaust. I'd say a full system is maybe good for 1-2 HP over stock on a stock engine. Hardly worth the money if power gains on a stock motor are all you want.

Anyways... between Yoshi and White Bros... it is what it is, and I see no reason to skew things out of proportion one way or the other.

There may be some gain differences. I don't know. But I'm thinking there is, depending on RPM and rather you are looking at torque or HP curves. I'd like to see some charts... and I'd like to understand it better.

But in the end, I bet the biggest difference between them is the sound... LOL...