PDA

View Full Version : Which is best for me? 400ex or 450r

Bridgewater
08-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Well it looks like im finally getting my self a new quad. want a honda even though i know there not thes best make of quads but to me there a good reliable 4 wheeler.
im almost 15, 5"4. 124 lbs pretty light guy, this will be my first quad, i have road many before so its not like im new to it.
i know the 450r is faster but i think the 400ex would be much more reliable and cheaper.
which do u think would b the best pick?
Im also cusious on the 2 bikes in there much differance between the 2007 and the 2008 models becides the price?
Will be adding mods to the bike most likely shortly afterwards.
Most likely a new pipe (hfm) and getting it bored (which bore size is the best?)
Im not a real big expert on these quads yet so im sorry if some of my questions are a little wack.
thanks for your help.

08-11-2008, 10:29 PM
what kind of riding?

Bridgewater
08-12-2008, 04:47 AM
cant believe i did post that lol.
just looking for fun, mostly trails matbe the dunes every now and again not looking to race with these. just good ol fun

08-12-2008, 06:40 AM
if the trails are tight, you want the 400ex. the 450r needs to be run at high rpms. i had both and i have since traded the 450r for a 400ex and some cash.

i was working the clutch on it more than i was using the throttle. if there were any obstacles in the way like logs, you had to hit them at speed instead of finessing over them unless you wanted to really finesse the clutch. things like that made it more work than play and the fun went out of riding for me.

don't get me wrong, i liked the 450r and the power it had, but it was too much work to ride it and too much work in maintenance. you will need to keep the valves adjusted regularly, as well as the decompression. much more frequent oil changes and it just seemed like with mine, there was always something that needed adjusted/fixed after every ride where as the 400ex i could just wash it and put it away until the next time.

i do miss the power of it, but the ease of use makes up for that...

as far as mods go you should do this:

1st: protection...for you and the bike...good gear for you and at least a chassis skid and a .250 thick swinger skid, front bumper and a-arm skids

2nd: suspension. you will go faster with a stock motor that has a better suspension, than a modified(exhaust loosely included in this) motor with a stock suspension. for either, one of the first things i would have done is have gt thunder re-valve the rear shock with his linkage. for a 400ex, get yourself some 450r front shocks and get them re-valved by gt thunder. fro a 450r get the front shocks re-valved by gt thunder

3rd: control/rider comfort. the more comfortable you feel on the machine, the more in control you will be and the faster you can go. this can be anything from grips to bars, to a steering stabilizer and a gripper seat cover and different levers. this is all up to you and what feels comfortable to you

4th: now hit up that exhaust/air filter/ rejet combo...as well as port and polish, cams, higher compression piston, and the list goes on and on. just a few words of advice, don't buy an exhaust because it is loud and don't buy a dynojet kit. go to www.jetsrus.com and read the faq on jets and jetting to understand why i would say that

5th: make it pretty

Bridgewater
08-12-2008, 01:50 PM
thanks alot man, pretty sure im going to go with the 400ex. Be a few montshs most likely before i get it but right now im just workin the money out seeing how much in total its going to cost me with mods ect.
very useful tips u posted.

Thanks again!

08-12-2008, 10:12 PM
i wish some one had posted those things before i bought the 450...

Bridgewater
08-13-2008, 09:11 PM
yeah thanks again man been a big help.

Bridgewater
08-17-2008, 05:42 PM
well looks like im back with one more question lol.
im picking up a 400ex from a dealer next weekend hopefully

posted up before but whats the difference between the 07 and 08 model. i compared both but could not see the differance maybe i just over looked it but idk.
the only differance i could see was the the 07 weighed 24lbs less that the 08. both wet (all fludids in them)

whats the deal with that?

08-17-2008, 06:05 PM
no difference, just plastics...the 07 was a dry weight, the 08 was wet

Bridgewater
08-17-2008, 06:53 PM
o really?
wow didnt know that i was for sure they were both wet.
well thanks again lol
im gunna go with the 07 since its rebaited 1000 is worth similiar looking plastic