PDA

View Full Version : rebuild time....and more questions

ktm300ex
08-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Ok guys so I fliped the quad backwards the other day going up a hill so instead of just fixing it to ride im gona redo the top end sicne I already have the parts.
I already tore down the top end and droped off the jug and head a machine shop to get some work done. I was surprised how simple it was to take apart, I just hope I can get it back together. I think it will go smooth tho. THe motor now is totaly stock so I hope to see a big improvment when reassembled.

motor:
.40 over wescio piston
stage 1 hot cam
400ex carb
hmf slip on
oil cooler

I already have an extended g-force axle so I want to get some stock 400ex arms, shocks, tie rods, relocator bracket to widen the front. WANT TO BUY STOCK 400EX A-ARMS, PM ME IF YOU HAVE SOME!!!

this is the only pic I have right now, I will get more over the next few days
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o182/kylemm1002/DSC00109.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o182/kylemm1002/DSC00097.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o182/kylemm1002/DSC00099.jpg

ktm300ex
08-11-2008, 09:27 PM
ok heres my questions:
I ride a lot of trails and I THINK i need 22" tall tire because of big ruts, but what would be good tires? holeshot HD? razr? 4ply? 6ply?

and since white brothers got bought out I cant find a good header, soooooo would ceramic coating the stock one benift at all? I can get it done cheap..

and I broke my clutch level in half in the flip so I got a aftermarket one, and there is like a lil button inside the stock clutch leveler. What the hell do I do with that!??

thanks for the help
kyle

honda300EXtreme
08-11-2008, 11:30 PM
dont do anything with the stock header other then scrap it. there too restrictive

theres still alot of WB headers floating around, and most other companys will match up with that HMF, i though pro-circuit made one for the 300?

with a aftermarket clutch lever and perch you will need to bypass the reverse, there is a how to in the atricles section or its link is in my 300ex info thread

i still got plenty of parts so if theres anything you need let me know

sparks427
08-12-2008, 05:57 AM
pro circut does make a header for it cuz i was gonna get the system for my 300 and then decided to just get a whole sparks pipe, they come completely welded together and completely rebuildable. but if you already have that hmf then the procircut header wouldnt be a bad option but theres others out there too so ur not limited, just look around. but like like he said they are way to restrictive, i had the stock header w/ a cobra slip on on mine and it sucked ***. very very happy w/ the sparks.

bwamos
08-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by ktm300ex
WANT TO BUY STOCK 400EX A-ARMS, PM ME IF YOU HAVE SOME!!!

Can I reccomend at least looking at aftermarket 400ex a-arms. You really need the caster/camber adjustability to make them work well. You really need adjustable uppers from what I've seen.

sparks427
08-12-2008, 08:38 AM
ahh good point i have aftermarkets on mine and its a good thing too cuz my caster/camber is way off, and thats with 400ex spindles, not sure w/ 300s but i know its just as bad. i would really recomend aftermarkets besides you can get a good used set on here for dirt cheep. just somthin to think about.

ktm300ex
08-12-2008, 09:00 AM
from what I have read stock 400ex arms work fine if you use the 300ex spindle, Thats what I was going for. And I dont really have the funds for aftermarket.

I read the arcitle how to rig the reverse and that went fine, but It doesnt say anything a about a lil button with two wires inside stock lever. Do I just connect them?

thanks for the help

honda300EXtreme
08-12-2008, 10:21 AM
i dont know, i personally never had good luck with stock a-arms, my wheel was always toes in.

splice the wires together and tape them up

TheNewn
08-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Pretty sure those 2 wires are for starting in gear with the clutch pulled in or whatever. Just splice them together or not and you'll be able to start it in gear...or not..

Very nice looking 300EX for a 1995. We used to have one and sold it several years ago looking nothing as nice as that one...

ktm300ex
08-22-2008, 03:31 PM
ok so no new pics but I have a problem
I am trying to install the cam, sprocket, and chain.
the manual says to line up the sprocket and chain then slid the cam in and bolt it down.
well that is not working!! There is not enough room to slid the cam bearings through the sprocket to get everything lined up.

anyone have any ideas??
am I doing somthing wrong?
thanks for all the help
kyle