PDA

View Full Version : Billet exhaust flange

aztecgwynn
08-10-2008, 03:53 PM
I have a 1986 Honda TRX 250R and I want to purchase a exhaust billet flange. Those bolts that are on there have not been messed with since bike was new, if I try to take them off what are the chances of getting them off in one piece and if they break will I need to take cylinder off to drill bolts out thanks.

deathman53
08-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I had them break on me. What I would do would be, heat the cylinder with a torch around the flange. This will loosen the hold on it some and a much better chance of it not breaking off. Also you can start the bike, get it to around 200 degrees and then remove the pipe and try to get the bolts out. In the meantime, I would spray the flange bolts with pb blaster for a few days. Do everything you can not to break them.
I usually heat the nuts up that hold the exhaust on , untill they are cherry red, before I try to remove the nuts. Obvousily I'm talking a 4 stroke in this, but you get the idea, as its the same thing if you break the studs off the head, you need to remove it to drill it out and replace.

2muchquad
08-10-2008, 08:02 PM
take your time and use the right size socket,they usually dont put up much fight.;)