PDA

View Full Version : What kind of shocks to purchase

proctorbc2005
08-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I am new to the fourm so bare with me.

After reading thru several hundred posts, I still cannot make up my mind on what type of shock to purchase. Here are some specifics.

Hight 5' 11"

weight 195 lbs

Ride: 04 YFZ450, (see signature for complete set-up)

Riding style: on the throttle and out of control!!!(very aggresive)

The bulk of my riding is done on the trails, which go from one extreme to the next, such as soft sand, roots, stumps, mud, small jumps, gravel, lots of water, whoops, and large jumps.
I have been known to make a few laps at the track, usualy about once a month.

What I am looking for is a full set of shock that will transition from trail riding to track use with little to no set-up, and Will stand up to the abuse I will put them thru. I do not have a budget, but would like to spend under $4000 for all 3 shocks. I am also not afraid to mix and match front and rear shocks.

All I need to complete my ride are shocks, any suggestions you guys can offer on what type of shocks I should purchase would be appericated.

havinnoj
08-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Axis and PEP are the most tried and true. PB1's are PEP's top level shock, and Axis' piggybacks give you the flexibility to interchange from spring to air shocks. You hear great things about Podiums with their adustability - the height variating eyelets may interest you for switching setups. Most of the shock related complaints are about Elka, TCS, Works. Go for the best.

proctorbc2005
08-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the input, I was searching arround E-bay and found a couple of very intresting buys. Tell me what you guys think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140255763304&rd=1

or this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120292900800&rd=1

Anyone know where I can find a "new not used" suspension package like these but with the PEP or Axis shocks like havinnoj suggests?

havinnoj
08-10-2008, 04:23 PM
check out " m a u l tech atv" in google they are axis, and elka dealer. Laeger and some other suspension

Pono
08-11-2008, 11:09 PM
check out motowoz shocks. they are doing some good things over there. they have on the fly adjustable crossovers. pretty sweet. as far as a arms any one of the repitable companies out there will do. some a arm companies work directly with shock builders sometimes to completely dial in valving. motowoz does this with jd performance. find a shock or arm you like and see what they recommend. everyone is going say the best is what they ride.

08-12-2008, 01:20 PM
what about rebuilds?

proctorbc2005
08-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the input. I have been working with Andy from M A U L techatv This guy is great, and is giving me a great deal. Here is what he has recommended and I am going to purchase.

Custom Axis Long Travel Piggyback Pro Air Shocks
Laeger +2 A-Arms
Custom Axis Dual Rate Rear Shock
GT Thunder rear Linkage.

I won't say what he quoted me, but in doing a little research I am getting a hell of a deal. :)

Thanks for the recommend "havinnoj" M A U L techatv was a good find, not that my word carries much weight, but I will recommend them to anyone.

havinnoj
08-13-2008, 07:34 AM
No problem bro. His prices are excellent and service (by email atleast) is awesome.

BlaineKaiser450
08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
that will be a good setup :macho

ben300
08-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
what about rebuilds?

not everyone wants or likes rebuilds