PDA

View Full Version : why is a stocker hangin with me?

jesse426ex
08-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I just recently bought a 2000 400ex that was just rebuilt with a 426 kit, 12:1 wiseco piston, stage 2 hot cam, hot rods reinforced crank, the head is surposed to be ported and polished and it has the edelbrock doug eichner 440 carb on it...... a good friend of mine has a stocker with a pipe and jet kit and he keeps up with me pretty good. should this be possible? also at a steady low rpm it seems like it is cutting out of gas, but when you get on the gas it doesnt do it. is that normal for the edelbrock carb?

NXGHOST
08-10-2008, 01:10 PM
My last quad had a bunch of mods that didn't work well together and although it ran well, it was barely quicker than a stocker. Sometimes you have to spend a shiatload of time tuning or do the mods and tune one mod at a time.

REDRIDDER
08-10-2008, 02:12 PM
jesse426ex
have you ever messed with the accelerator pump before?

Chin_Chilla
08-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I've heard that those edelbrock carbs are crap. The FCR's are twice as good. Just what I heard, would like some input from those running edelbrocks...

rideracelivemx7
08-10-2008, 07:48 PM
edelbrocks are a waste.(sure they have there perks, dont get me wrong, but not the performance for the money) i was looking into them, more than half the time, people said they didnt notice a difference, stock or big bore. if its port and polished, i highly doubht a stock quad would keep up, the stock 400ex isfairly unimpressive. just my cammed and tuned 440 tools on 400s all day. hell, ive beaten just bigbore 440s with out cams with no problem at all. a stock cam and ex vs stock ex with cam should be a close call, but a bored and worked ex. theres something odd there. is your bike that out of tune?

boosted3g
08-11-2008, 04:02 PM
sounds like you need some tuning done. Also sometimes you have so many parts that they dont work well together.

08-11-2008, 07:42 PM
it shouldnt be cutting out I think you need to check your plug and like everyone pretty much said do some tuning. Maybe he is a better rider, your drag racing on a road or something right? If thats the case he could be shifting better and knows the rpm better but a 426 with your mods should make up for that.

klutch
08-11-2008, 07:53 PM
How much more do you weigh?

blaaze416
08-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by jesse426ex
I just recently bought a 2000 400ex that was just rebuilt with a 426 kit, 12:1 wiseco piston, stage 2 hot cam, hot rods reinforced crank, the head is surposed to be ported and polished and it has the edelbrock doug eichner 440 carb on it...... a good friend of mine has a stocker with a pipe and jet kit and he keeps up with me pretty good. should this be possible? also at a steady low rpm it seems like it is cutting out of gas, but when you get on the gas it doesnt do it. is that normal for the edelbrock carb?

Mine was doing that and I think I went to rich on the dial. Turned it back two notches at a time til it ran good at low rpm's. I also turned the acc. pump to around 2.5 turns out. It runs pretty good now! Then again i dont have the eichner.

I say pretty good, cuz i think i agree with some others who think there are better carbs out there. No doubt, FCR is the way to go. BUT I got a good deal on a new eddie with multiple needles, and i have no patience for jetting. So the eddie was the best choice for me for the money. $185 new. It gave a definite seat of the pants difference. And i noticed a better sound from the engine, intake, and exhaust. Just a bit throatier. It also pulls up top more too.

woodsracer144
08-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Chin_Chilla
I've heard that those edelbrock carbs are crap. The FCR's are twice as good. Just what I heard, would like some input from those running edelbrocks...

the FRC are the best!

they are ****in killers...

i have a yzf400 with a P&P done and an really loud pipe that i hate! and i had it pinned on a feild... and i didnt know i still had another gear and i was flyin befor i hit that gear!

the FCR is a crazy good carb...

another thing you have to notic is how well the ridin style of you both are... my buddy was on a 400ex that was mostly stock and was beatin 450r and yfzs and all the 450s

try you on him and him on yours also...

underpowered
08-15-2008, 11:14 AM
how long were you dragging for? rider weight?

so many factors go into it. when i drag my quad, a stocker will be me for about the first 50-75 feet. after that i will take off and leave them.

there is alot more to building a motor than just buying parts and installing them. certain parts work better together than others. you have to choose parts carefully to get the best bang for your buck.

also, lose the edelbrock. They never made a good carb for cars, so what makes you think they can make a good one for quads? my buddy tried one for a while, and got more power out of useing a stock 450r carb. FCR is the best, i love mine.