PDA

View Full Version : stupid question about rear brake

jeepthing07
08-10-2008, 12:23 PM
when i roll my 2002 400ex backwards the rear brake grabs. are they made to do this for some reason or is my caliper mount loose or something? it seems kinda dangerous if you have to back down a hill. so wot's uh the deal? :confused:

jeepthing07
08-11-2008, 03:26 PM
no one knows?

hypersnyper6947
08-11-2008, 03:33 PM
mine rolls backwards with no problems, are you sure its your breaks, maybe your bearing are going.

jeepthing07
08-11-2008, 04:04 PM
it's the brake... it had new bearings installed before i bought it.

Rip_Tear
08-11-2008, 04:45 PM
What condition is the disc in? if it has break lines it in it could be catching those. Maybe you've got the adjustment too tight? It should not be doing this so start checking it, it's not a complicated procedure. What do you brake pads look like? New?

jeepthing07
08-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
What condition is the disc in? if it has break lines it in it could be catching those. Maybe you've got the adjustment too tight? It should not be doing this so start checking it, it's not a complicated procedure. What do you brake pads look like? New?

Are you asking if the rotor is scored? it does feel pretty worn. the caliper mount has a little play in it i guess the pads could be catching on the grooved rotor. I guess i will replace them see if it goes away.

fastredrider44
08-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Make sure your rotor is not bent. If the rear end is on a jack, does it still have the problem going foward as well?

quad2xtreme
08-12-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't care how warped, scored, or scratched your rear rotor is, it should still push the brakes back into the caliper. You have an issue with your caliper or your brake cylinder.

I would start by removing your rear caliper and cleaning it up and lubricating it. It moves in two spots. The pad pushes inward but the caliper itself has another area with play in it. It slides on a pin that sometimes gets corroded.

fastredrider44
08-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
I don't care how warped, scored, or scratched your rear rotor is, it should still push the brakes back into the caliper. You have an issue with your caliper or your brake cylinder.

This is true.

GrAnSpOrT
08-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Just to make sure it is a brake problem. Remove the caliber and see if the bike moves backwards. If so them look at the brakes, but if not look at the rearend.

Honda4lyphe
08-12-2008, 06:10 PM
May seem kinda stupid to say..but its in neutral when you try this right? Never know :P.

Heres my 2 cents.. i ride in a very sandy area, and over time the sand has accumilated in my pad/piston area and every once in awhile when i pressed it my front tire would lock up, i had to roll the quad back to free it. So maybe theres some crud in there, because from expirence it can happen.

The BEST thing to do is take off your caliper and examine everything, because if you dont look at it now it can be a huger problem later and i know the majority of people on this website that owns quads know this from their own expirences. If your pads look unevenly worn definetly replace them and check your caliper piston to make sure its moveing properly and strait, if it doesnt it may be time to rebuild the caliper. Another possibility that ive heard happen with this is your bearings with dual row carriers, one of the bearings happen to crack or a little piece of it sticks up, just enough to make it where it will hardly row backwards but will go the other way fine. If you cant find the problem through the brakes and caliper id check this too, because it can lead to another huge problem.

jeepthing07
08-20-2008, 03:28 PM
I been busy building the motor for it. I got around to taking the caliper off today and the inside pad was badly worn (i think the previous owner rode it with bad axle shaft bearings so its probably why its worn stupid). She had new bearings put in it so that is not a problem now i checked.

But the outside pad i noticed had been rubbing on the aluminum bracket that the rotor is attached to on the axle shaft. The 4 mounting points on it have all been ate away about 1/16 of an inch down into the aluminum. I guess i will just buy a new rotor and pads and hope they clear.