PDA

View Full Version : +1 foward a arms

ben_400ex
08-10-2008, 04:50 AM
Hey guys
just wondering if anyone can tell me if it makes a huge difference if i run a +1 1/4 length swingarm with +3+1 foward a arms or does a stock length swinger work ok?
thanks

ohsobad_chevy
08-10-2008, 08:45 AM
What kind of terrain are you going to be riding?

Hondamaster5505
08-10-2008, 10:34 AM
From what Ive heard *Dont hold me to this*

The 400ex is set up perfectly length wise from the factory. By adding +1 foward a-arms without a longer swinger, it upsets the handling and could make it worse.

Now im not sure about any of this. Hope someone that has this can chime in.

justin1022
08-10-2008, 11:18 AM
honestly do them both if your going to do it. my freind flipped his front rims inside out on his ltz. and it made it way mre tipy and the reaer eng swongs out more because its getting draged aroudn corners if you no what i mean. and he rolles way more often now ha.

Hondamaster5505
08-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by justin1022
honestly do them both if your going to do it. my freind flipped his front rims inside out on his ltz. and it made it way mre tipy and the reaer eng swongs out more because its getting draged aroudn corners if you no what i mean. and he rolles way more often now ha.

wtf are you talking about?

When an a-arm is +2+1, it is +2 inches wider and +1 inches foward. We're talking about the foward measurement, not flipped rims:huh

And btw, flipping rims doesn't make it handle worse. It ads bump steer, but makes it wider and more stable. Why do you think aftermarket rims are so popular.

ohsobad_chevy
08-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
And btw, flipping rims doesn't make it handle worse. It ads bump steer, but makes it wider and more stable. Why do you think aftermarket rims are so popular.

You just totally contradicted yourself......bump steer is poor handling, maybe not to some, but it definitely is to me.

The 400ex is set up for trail and recreational riding. By adding 1 inch to the wheel base, particularly in the front, you will not notice hardly any difference in handling.

Hondamaster5505
08-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
You just totally contradicted yourself......bump steer is poor handling, maybe not to some, but it definitely is to me.

Rim's add little bump steer. Not nearly as much as adding spacers does. I have offset's in the front and have NO problem with bump steer. And I hammer through rough woods.

But he was saying that the flipped rims made the quad flip easier, which I don't see happening.

procircuit406ex
08-10-2008, 11:57 AM
To guys original question, I noticed a small difference in handling when i added +1/+1 aarms, it was for the better for me seemed like i could hammer corners faster but to each thier own

Honda#4
08-10-2008, 01:18 PM
By adding +1 forward arms your changing your quads center of gravity and having it planted more to the ground.

NacsMXer
08-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by ben_400ex
Hey guys
just wondering if anyone can tell me if it makes a huge difference if i run a +1 1/4 length swingarm with +3+1 foward a arms or does a stock length swinger work ok?
thanks

I was wondering the same a few months ago....

I put +3+1 arms on my quad with the stock swinger and it handles great at the track. I was worried about losing traction on the rears, or the front end diving on me in the air but neither seems to be the case with this setup. I'm sure the +1 1\4 swing arm would make it even better due to the longer wheelbase/stability but you should be just fine running the stock swinger for a while ;)

justin1022
08-10-2008, 03:27 PM
wtf is bump steer?:confused:

mooseracerX
08-10-2008, 03:45 PM
This should help you out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_Steer

justin1022
08-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by mooseracerX
This should help you out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_Steer

ok so bump steer is bad then.

ben_400ex
08-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks a bunch for all your input so far guys,
I will be riding mx and fast trails.
I'd love a aftermarket swinger but i'm just not sure if its worth spending the money at this stage.

08-10-2008, 10:12 PM
i have heard tht +1 forward a arms mess with ur quads geometery therefore messin w/ ur handling

hypersnyper6947
08-10-2008, 11:52 PM
how can you tell what arms you have, +2,+3, +2+1 etc....

vAnS_77
08-11-2008, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Honda or DI3
i have heard tht +1 forward a arms mess with ur quads geometery therefore messin w/ ur handling

Anything you you increased by +1 ETC. you want to increase with opposite to match it. Put your quad near 50 inch stance all the way around and your quad will be next to near impossible to flip on a loose terrian. Basically what I'm getting at is, be prepared to spend some money when you go into your suspension. I have spent 5grand on my CRF hybrid suspension so far. 50 inch stance is the best thing you could EVER do to your quad.