PDA

View Full Version : Whats good clutch set-up for MX

Sick0
12-06-2002, 07:42 AM
I'm rebuilding the old 400, and was wondering what I should do to my clutch to match up to my new engine mods. I'm putting a cam, high compression piston, porting, carb, good exhaust, air filter, Boring to a 416 which will hopfuly put me in the 35-40 horse power range. What sould I do to my clutch to hold up these mods.
thanks.

oynot400
12-06-2002, 08:32 AM
There are quite a few post on clutch set-ups. The thing it looks like alot of people are doing is a 8 disk system. There are a couple of way to do this. One is to get a Hinson 8 disk basket and run stock fibers and steels. I am not sure on what they are using for springs.
Another way is to go with a FDO or GT Thunder set-up. It is a 8 disk system also. However they use the stock basket. They machine the pressure plate and use 250r fibers and 300ex steels. They have stiffer springs to go along with it also. This is the kit I have with my 463 stroker. Granted I don't have alot of time on it, but it has not slipped and pulls suprizing easier than you might think. I did give it the test at the Little Sahara a few weeks back with nothing but good results.
I have ran a Barnett clutch and it did not last, it slipped alot. I know several people have had bad luck with them also.
Hope this helps....

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-06-2002, 09:44 AM
If your going to run the stock basket...use stock plates...I heard nothing but horror stories from people (including me) that ran aftermarket clutch kits with the stock basket...if you want to get a better basket...go with the Hinson 8-Plate Setup.

crashinmatt
12-06-2002, 06:01 PM
how about the sparks 8 disk set-up? is it just like the FDO and GT Thunder set-up? if money was no problem, the hinson set-up would be the best, but it costs a lot. u have to buy the basket inner hub, and pressure plate. that all adds up to some serious$$$.

12-06-2002, 06:42 PM
i also am wondering abt the sparks set up

Dave400ex
12-06-2002, 06:46 PM
I think the Sparks is the same, but you don't have to modify anything in your clutch for it to work. If I was you I would get the Sparks setup or a different 8 plate setup and a Hinson basket. TC also has an 8 plate setup that is like all the other ones.