PDA

View Full Version : descisions

powermadd400ex
08-08-2008, 10:52 AM
so i was out drivin around town when i passed a used powersports store. they had suzuki Rm250 sittin outside for $1650. no idea wat year model it is, but the bike looks clean.
im goin down soon to take a look at it. but heres the hard part. i have money saved up for suspension for my quad but now that i see this bike, im rele considering spending that money on the bike IF its in good condition.
so wats yalls opinion? 400s suspension or rm?
when i do go down there wat should i look for in a used 2 stroke? anything defects with RM models?
this will be my first two stroke and ive always wanted one.
i kno theres been numerious posts here about buying dirtbikes but hear me out.
any input is greatly appreciated
Chris

Duke Nukem
08-08-2008, 11:08 AM
RM!!!!!!!:cool:

8my_Cash
08-08-2008, 12:50 PM
look for compression in the motor and ask to start it up to see how much smoke will be coming out, obviously they smoke alot but usually when there is a **** ton there might be something wrong.

but always remember you cant ride two toys at the same time lol.......

powermadd400ex
08-08-2008, 12:52 PM
is there a certain color of smoke? i feel stupid, i dont kno wat regular 2 stroke smoke looks like haha

ATVMX905
08-08-2008, 04:17 PM
my kx80 always had light grey smoke and it was like brand new, if that helps any.

powermadd400ex
08-08-2008, 09:03 PM
alright ill look for light grey smoke.
my dad looked at it today and he said the exhaust had oil comin outta the exhaust. wat does that mean? wats wrong with it to make it do that?
im goin 2moro to crank it up and ride it around a lil bit. go thru the gears and all that stuff. if i dont see anything wrong with it then it is very possible that i will put $700 down on it and make payments to pay it off.
please guys any info is appreciated. i jus dont wanna get ripped off. ive been savin this cash for far too long to jus invest it in a pile o' junk

Hondamaster5505
08-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I would use the money on the 400ex if I were you.

It's better to have one thing done real nice, then two things not as much the way you like it.

Get the suspension, then maybe save up for a 440 stroker. I know stock 400ex's are pretty tame as far as power.

Hondamaster5505
08-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
alright ill look for light grey smoke.
my dad looked at it today and he said the exhaust had oil comin outta the exhaust. wat does that mean? wats wrong with it to make it do that?
im goin 2moro to crank it up and ride it around a lil bit. go thru the gears and all that stuff. if i dont see anything wrong with it then it is very possible that i will put $700 down on it and make payments to pay it off.
please guys any info is appreciated. i jus dont wanna get ripped off. ive been savin this cash for far too long to jus invest it in a pile o' junk

Yes, it is normal for SOME oil to come out. Two-strokes use oil in the gas, as a lubricant. It's not like a 4-stroke where the oil in the crankcase lubricates everything. The crank, cylinder, and all are lubricated by the gas. There will always be some oil that isn't burned that passes through the exhaust. That's why only some is normal.

And as far as smoking, it should only really smoke while it's cold. My dad's banshee will smoke when it's warming up, but after that no smoke comes out. And it's jetted spot on. Now, I don't know if the dirtbikes are different, but if it runs excellent I wouldn't think smoke should be coming out. If anything, only slightly.

Make sure you maintain it well if you decide to go this path. Use good 2-stroke oils in the gas like Klots, Mobil1 Synthetic, etc. It'll keep the motor clean and well lubricated. Make sure you also are mixing at the right ratio, and change the gear oil every so often.

powermadd400ex
08-08-2008, 09:20 PM
well ive wanted another dirtbike since we sold my ttr.
thanks hondamaster, is anything else to look for? fluids, etc.?

Hondamaster5505
08-08-2008, 09:26 PM
well ive wanted another dirtbike since we sold my ttr.
thanks hondamaster, is anything else to look for? fluids, etc.?

Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the gear oil.

Look on the sides of the tires for dry rot.
Get a compression tester, and check the compression.
Ask when the recent rebuild was, and how many hours on it.
Check the radiator, make sure they are running with coolant in it, If they are running it low on coolant, thats a big no no.
When riding it, make sure it runs like a top.

2-strokes are fairly simple, there isn't much too them.

And, finally, don't kill yourself. Everyone knows how I preach about banshee's and how fast they are, but a 250 2-stroke dirtbike would SMOKE my dads piped shee. They are fast as hell.

ZeroLogic
08-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't get a 250 for your first bike bro, especially since its your first two stroke. Look around for a 125, their a dime a dozen and cheap.

Hondamaster5505
08-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I wouldn't get a 250 for your first bike bro, especially since its your first two stroke. Look around for a 125, their a dime a dozen and cheap.

Haha, thats what i was kinda hinting at when I said they're fast as all hell.

ZeroLogic
08-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Haha, thats what i was kinda hinting at when I said they're fast as all hell.

Well, I don't hint.:eek: :macho

Hondamaster5505
08-08-2008, 09:54 PM
ive always wanted a 125 or 250f.:(

but i like quads more, so maybe in the future ill get a dirtbike to toy around on.

powermadd400ex
08-08-2008, 09:56 PM
alright where can i get compression testers?
it isnt my first bike. but it is my 2 first smoker.
ive been lookin around for a 125 locally jus for ****s and grins here for about 2 months. and all of em that i see are either beat to hell or overpriced. if i could find a 125 in nice condition that is cheaper than this RM then id be all over it. jus b/c im known for a "heavy thumb/wrist" :D

Hondamaster5505
08-08-2008, 10:01 PM
alright where can i get compression testers?
it isnt my first bike. but it is my 2 first smoker.
ive been lookin around for a 125 locally jus for ****s and grins here for about 2 months. and all of em that i see are either beat to hell or overpriced. if i could find a 125 in nice condition that is cheaper than this RM then id be all over it. jus b/c im known for a "heavy thumb/wrist" :D

I don't know about 2-strokes, but you can get comp. testers at auto parts stores.

My dad got one off ebay fairly cheap.

powermadd400ex
08-08-2008, 10:04 PM
ehh its there another way to tell if the compression is ok?
cause i cant wait for ebays auction and shipping etc.
cant you tell the compression is ok if it starts up after 2 or 3 kicks?thats jus a myth ive heard

Hondamaster5505
08-08-2008, 10:07 PM
ehh its there another way to tell if the compression is ok?
cause i cant wait for ebays auction and shipping etc.
cant you tell the compression is ok if it starts up after 2 or 3 kicks?thats jus a myth ive heard

How many kicks depends on so many factors.

It should start up in a few kicks. If you break your foot trying to kick it 15 times to start it, somethins up. haha.

By riding it you should tell. It's almost self explanitory. You could tell if it's real crisp and fresh or getting tired and lagging.

powermadd400ex
08-08-2008, 10:18 PM
ahaha, alright thanks eric

justin1022
08-09-2008, 12:53 AM
so i was out drivin around town when i passed a used powersports store. they had suzuki Rm250 sittin outside for $1650. no idea wat year model it is, but the bike looks clean.
im goin down soon to take a look at it. but heres the hard part. i have money saved up for suspension for my quad but now that i see this bike, im rele considering spending that money on the bike IF its in good condition.
so wats yalls opinion? 400s suspension or rm?
when i do go down there wat should i look for in a used 2 stroke? anything defects with RM models?
this will be my first two stroke and ive always wanted one.
i kno theres been numerious posts here about buying dirtbikes but hear me out.
any input is greatly appreciated
Chris

remeber to warm it up when you first start it. i dont no exactly why but i guess thats bad for them. somthing to do with if you just fire it up and start grabbing gears the radiator will be trying to cool the engine when its already cold and thats no good. and when your riding it the first time and you try and smoke powerban in the higher gears and it spuders dont freak out thats alright it will go away in a blink of a eye i dont no why they do that eaither but if you let them sit for a wile they do that.

powermadd400ex
08-09-2008, 09:35 AM
well its a 2002 and im goin down there in about an hour so ill keep it posted guys

ZeroLogic
08-09-2008, 09:43 AM
You don't need a compression tester, just crank it with your hand. Smoke should be gray/blue. And smoke should come out most of the time, just not a lot. Always let the bike warm up, touch the radiator top and if its warm to touch your good to go.

powermadd400ex
08-09-2008, 09:47 AM
alright thanks zerologic.

ZeroLogic
08-09-2008, 11:44 AM
No problem bro, good luck.:macho

powermadd400ex
08-09-2008, 01:32 PM
well i jus got back, and there was numerous things wrong with it.
needed new sprockets, and chain
needs to have forks rebuilt
needs 2 bar clamp bolts(how in the hell can you lose those!?).
clutch was broke off.
and front rim was bent and barely retained air.
needed new brake pads all around.
and it needed a new front & rear fender .
they wanted 1650 for it. so i offered them 1200 considering all the repairs that it will be needing. they said that the kelley blue book price is 1650 and if they cant sell it at that price within 2 weeks than he'll give it to us for 1200.
other than those problems it ran great. but im not paying blue book price for a bike that needs 400-500 buck of repairs
so thats that. and im now taking zero's advice and looking for a 125 2stroke. and so the search begins :D

bcg717
08-09-2008, 01:52 PM
check out www.georgiaoffroad.com and look at their for sale section.

powermadd400ex
08-09-2008, 02:04 PM
thanks bcg. i actually use that site to look for trails and such but i forgot they had a for sale section haha