PDA

View Full Version : Protesting at funerals

Quad18star
08-07-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm sure some of you may have heard about a brutal killing that happened up here in Canada a few days ago. A 22 year old riding a Greyhound bus was sleeping and listening to his music when a man sat down beside him and out of the blue started stabing him with a butcher knife . The bus stopped ... everyone got off ... a few guys went back to help the stabbing victim , but by that time the killer had cut the young man's head off and was holding it in his hand. 4 hours of standoff with police , they arrested the killer and found that he had mutilated the body and had the guys ears , nose and part of his lips in a bag in his pocket. Sick story that has really shocked our country.

Now here's the worst part of everything . I started reading a news article and this has completly disgusted me. Apparently this group has done this all over the USA also. If they do show up here in Canada at this guys funeral and start running their chops ... I know damn well atleast one of them is leaving in a body bag.

Here's the article......

'Hated' church group to protest Tim McLean funeral

A church group described in a British documentary as "the most hated family in America" says it will head to Canada this weekend to protest Tim McLean's funeral.

07/08/2008 5:47:41 PM

CTV.ca News Staff

The daughter of the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, based in Topeka, Ka., told CTV.ca she and several other church members will go to Winnipeg on Saturday to demonstrate against what she described as McLean's "filthy way of life." Shirley Phelps-Roper said his life was emblematic of Canada's moral decay.

"God handed us a gift," Phelps-Roper said in a phone interview on Thursday.

She said McLean deserved his death by beheading on a Greyhound Bus last week.

"(His death was) supremely unemotional. You got God shaking in rage. There is no emotional component ... He was a rebel against God. He was taught to be a rebel by his parents. He came from a rebel country ... They brought this wrath upon his head. And it sucks to be him and it sucks to be them," Phelps-Roper said.

She said his brutal murder was a sign from God.

"You gotta connect the dots, people ... from your idols to your filthy way of life," she said.

"Here's what I know. He is dead and God does not do that to people that serve in his truth."

Phelps-Roper described McLean -- who she had never met -- in an insulting, insensitive and graphic manner. Her crudest descriptions of the 22-year-old are not printed.

"I haven't met him personally, but he has nothing going on," she said dismissively.

"(His life) was all about him. Blah, blah, blah ... He was a rebel ... I don't need to know anything else ... I don't need to know the minutia. Everything you need to know is right there."

The Westboro Baptist church has gained notoriety in recent years for setting up protest pickets at the funerals of U.S. soldiers who died in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Church members claim the deaths are part of God's wrath against Americans for turning their back on his teachings. They have repeatedly called the U.S. a "***" nation, a phrase Phelps-Roper used repeatedly to describe Canada.

Phelps-Roper said she does not mind that her family is reviled by the majority of Americans. She claimed she rejoices when people say they despise and hate her family.

"I say, 'cha ching.' That goes in our bank. God gives us tokens of his love," she said.

Phelps-Roper said members of the Westboro Baptist Church, which numbers about "70 souls," is comprised mainly of a single extended family.

McLean was killed on July 30 after being stabbed repeatedly on a Greyhound bus by a complete stranger. He was then beheaded.

Vince Li, 40, has been charged with second-degree murder. A psychiatric evaluation has been ordered for Li.

mudrunner35
08-07-2008, 06:39 PM
what in the fack. that is unbelievable! who cares if "no one likes the family", a dead man has a right to a funeral and to rest in peace and not some slack jawed yankees protesting about it.

krt400ex
08-07-2008, 06:40 PM
i think that this church group has a very very distorted view of Christianity. God is not like that. people may choose their own paths, but God is forever merciful and is not the reason that this happened. the man may now be in hell because he was not a Christian, but God was not punishing him through this brutal death.

i HATE when people distort Christianity and give it a bad name like this group is doing.

LTandRaptorider
08-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't even know where to begin... Except to say hopefully 70 body bags will be lined up, and filled. ;) Should've happened down here when those wackos protested at Servicemans' funerals...

byrdman37876
08-07-2008, 06:44 PM
thats just plain stupid for them to even say that. any body that protest a funeral for a fallen solider or innocent person can rot in hell the way i look at it.:grr:

Quad18star
08-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
I don't even know where to begin... Except to say hopefully 70 body bags will be lined up, and filled. ;) Should've happened down here when those wackos protested at Servicemans' funerals...

Bart .. I honestly think they are in for a rude awakening . This is a killing that has shocked a nation and hundreds of people are expected to turn out for this funeral.

We don't screw around with handguns ..... we'll take 3 out at a time with 30.06 hunting rifles. They've run their chops up here before about Gay Marriage ... but never have they protested a funeral. You come into another country and preach your BS at a funeral , you're not leaving alive.

bcg717
08-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Same group did a ralley at a college girls funeral in north or south carolina a couple months back. They also protest fallen soldiers funerals. Goes to show that this world is going downhill fast.

c450Razy
08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I have been wanting someone to take this band of f*cked in the head losers out for a long time now...

quadstar if you guys kill em canada will go up 10pts in my book.. idc what south park says about you guys! :p

wilkin250r
08-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I wonder how many of them have gotten their *ss kicked.

Quad18star
08-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I wonder how many of them have gotten their *ss kicked.

Apparently 7 of them are making their way to this funeral . You'll be able to add 7 to the list of "a** kicked Baptist Church psychos".

HUNT1940
08-07-2008, 09:08 PM
JUST SHOT EM,

Robin Hood
08-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by HUNT1940
JUST SHOOT EM,

Edited it for ya but X2.

Gray33
08-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by bcg717
Same group did a ralley at a college girls funeral in north or south carolina a couple months back. They also protest fallen soldiers funerals. Goes to show that this world is going downhill fast.

I also heard that a group was protesting fallen soliders funerals.

All i can say is show some respect.

TRX_450
08-07-2008, 10:18 PM
yeah...you think its bad, just about every funeral here gets protested. im an hour from topeka where theyre based and Fort Riley, one of the biggest bases in the US, in 30 min in the other direction from me. every soldier that dies has a funeral that gets protested, and any other funeral that was brutal in someway gets the same treatment. we just had a lady run over and killed behind my house and they are saying the same things about her that they are the man from canda and saying that it was a sign from god. she was 2 days from turning 55 and retiring that day from work, how unlucky can you get.

08-07-2008, 10:22 PM
i'd donate the ammo to put an end to them...

Mxjunkie
08-07-2008, 10:57 PM
I hope they show up so you boys from Canada can show them what a wrath is.. Seem's like everyone over here just lets it happen.. If they were to protest a family members funeral I would gladly take the jail time that would be dealt for handling with those disgraces.. Hopefully there will be an organization to protest them and they will have a duke it out and thin out some of the simple minded folk of America.. I feel bad for our kids when they grow up.. :o

08-07-2008, 11:03 PM
they were supposed to protest a fallen soldiers funeral in pittsburgh a while back. local motorcycle clubs showed up to make a barrier between them and the greiving funeral goers. i am not sure if any of the idiots showed up.

derekhonda
08-08-2008, 09:12 AM
If and when one of them does get dealt with, we should all protest and say how angry god must have been with them and they deserved it. Man wouldn't that be karma...

ALAMX37
08-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Are you kidding me, that is the biggest load of horse sh it I have ever heard.
Who are these peopl and where do they protest fallen soldiers? Not around here.
No true Christian is capable of saying something like that much less acting like that. I am truly sorry for these idiots.

8my_Cash
08-08-2008, 09:38 AM
good old westboro baptist church..... they give christians a bad name.

but anyway i am apart of the freedom riders a group that was started by motorcycle riders to set up a barricade between the funeral and the protestors to help pay respect and tribute to the family.

They use everything bad as a message from God and are as fundametalist as they come.

Oh and most of them are lawyers and are not affraid to sue.

Hippocracy at its finest right there.

Lets just hope that some how they break a law in Canada that is only availbe in America and they dissapear.

ALAMX37
08-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Everyone should feel free to leave hate mail at there website godhates***s.com

Quad18star
08-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Looks as though they won't be protesting this weekend. News report came out saying they are barred from entering into Canada.

News Article....

Extremist church to be blocked at border: report

Canadian border guards have been told to bar a fanatic church group that was planning to protest the funeral of a man beheaded on a Greyhound bus, reports say.

08/08/2008 8:59:16 AM

CTV.ca News Staff

NDP MP Pat Martin told the Winnipeg Free Press that Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day sent the alert to border guards Thursday.

The church group, described in a British documentary as "the most hated family in America," told CTV.ca earlier Thursday that it planned to protest at the funeral of 22-year-old Tim Mclean on Saturday.

Martin said his office was flooded with phone calls Thursday with Winnipeg constituents angered by the group's plan.

"These people are almost as crazy as the murderer," he told the newspaper, referring to the church's intentions

chris46250r
08-08-2008, 10:19 AM
8my cash, good for you! I have seen the Freedom Riders in action and I liked what I saw. Some people may have images of the Hells Angels in thier head but this group is far from it. They were at a funeral in my home town of a fallen soldier. They were very polite in talking with the family of the soldier asking if the family even wanted them there. Of coarse they did. Everything went smooth that day and I was glad.

400exrider99
08-08-2008, 10:33 AM
there are interviews on youtube of phelps talking to a reporter. the reporter pretty much tells her that she is a worthless pos

Quad18star
08-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider99
there are interviews on youtube of phelps talking to a reporter. the reporter pretty much tells her that she is a worthless pos

Ya I saw a couple of videos and interviews.

There was one video done by the father preaching his "sermon" about how God hates Canada , yada yada yada. I couldn't help but laugh since this guy has never been to Canada... nor would he dare show his face up here.

I'm betting it's really going to piss them off when they get turned away at the border though . I just wish the Border Guards would carry picket signs that read " God hates Westboro Baptist Church ... Go back home f***ers" :D

They might all be lawyers, but being a lawyer isn't any good when you're in another country and have bullet holes all through you that make you look like swiss cheese.

chris46250r
08-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Thier day will come. They will die and have a funeral.

8my_Cash
08-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Yup everyone dies eventually haha but thats good that Canada is preventing them from entering Canada now if only America could add a clause to the freedom of speach about verbal degregation during funerals we'd be set.

Its unbelievable that people will drive all over to voice their opinions to be heard.....too bad no one is listening

8my_Cash
08-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Also to clear things up its the Patriot Guard Riders, the freedom riders are a group in PA

I seriously dont know how i mixed that up lol, might be the fact that work sucks

chris46250r
08-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by 8my_Cash
Also to clear things up its the Patriot Guard Riders, the freedom riders are a group in PA

I seriously dont know how i mixed that up lol, might be the fact that work sucks

Maybe thats who I seen. Whoever they were, glad they came.

DEAL
08-08-2008, 04:17 PM
idiots ... this is why I'm not religious ..

Flip_SideEX
08-08-2008, 04:32 PM
This church group showed up at the death of 3 of our students that died in a fire last spring. They are just a bunch of lawyers that seek money by targeting college campuses and wait for the students to over react and cause injury to the protestors. They are quite pathetic and the best recommended way to deal with them is to ignore them. But obviously, with situations that arise and tradegies, no one can ignore these terrible people.

DEAL
08-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Flip_SideEX
This church group showed up at the death of 3 of our students that died in a fire last spring. They are just a bunch of lawyers that seek money by targeting college campuses and wait for the students to over react and cause injury to the protestors. They are quite pathetic and the best recommended way to deal with them is to ignore them. But obviously, with situations that arise and tradegies, no one can ignore these terrible people.

What was their excuse for protesting the students?

bwamos
08-08-2008, 05:32 PM
I just want to make sure everyone knows that Westboro Baptist Church is NOT a Baptist church. They are not affiliated with ANY baptist convention. They are a hippocracy and a blight on Christianity. They can not be called christians because they do not adhere to or beleive in christs teachings.

Their time will come, and their Judgment will be just. Yes that is a capital J. :P

They simply need to stop protesting and actually read the Bible.

Thank god for the patriot guard and all those who are not afraid to stand up to them.

We had them Protesting a Billy Graham event at the Cheifs Stadium a few years back.. holding signs up that said "God Hates Billy Graham".... granted I don't agree with everythign Bily says, but DANG.. talk about a warped sense of reality.. LOL.

cletusEX
08-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by DEAL

They show up and protest at fallen soldiers funerals and other high interest stories. Anything that will get them media coverage, and like others of said they are not shy about sueing those that try to cause them harm. I think it is great what the freedom riders do, a few freedom riders have called in to the radio show I listen too and all they try and do is form a barrier between the families and those protesting, seems to work out well (well as good as can be expected:( ). It is definitely a shame. As far as I'm concerned laws should not pertain to individuals like the Westboro Baptist Church.:mad:

416exfreak
08-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Ignorant *****.

250x_kyle
08-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
they were supposed to protest a fallen soldiers funeral in pittsburgh a while back. local motorcycle clubs showed up to make a barrier between them and the greiving funeral goers. i am not sure if any of the idiots showed up.

They were supposed to show up at Ross McGinnis's but the Patriot Guard Riders formed a barrier around the church. the protesters ended up not showing thankfully

08-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
They were supposed to show up at Ross McGinnis's but the Patriot Guard Riders formed a barrier around the church. the protesters ended up not showing thankfully
that is the one...

Flip_SideEX
08-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by DEAL

God was the one that started the fire, not the cig that was lit in the couch. :rolleyes:

bossman525
08-09-2008, 07:35 AM
this same church came and protested at a local soldiers funeral a couple years ago

flht_db
08-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by 8my_Cash

Yep they've been planning to protest most soldier funerals because they say it's punishment for the countries beliefs. The Patriot Guard was formed to protect the fallen.

If they want their message heard, they'll have to raise their voices above the din of perhaps hundreds of motorcycle engines.

The Patriot Guard is a nationwide coalition of veterans formed last year in direct response to Westboro's picketing of soldier funerals.

Their goal is to shield the family and friends of the soldiers from seeing or hearing Westboro's screaming, sign-waving protesters. The Patriot Guard tries to position its members between where the Westboro group demonstrates and the path of mourners.

"We're not counterprotesters or protesters," said Clayton Murphy, a Patriot Guard coordinator and a Coast Guard veteran who lives in Tampa. "We're there for one objective only and that's to protect the family.

"... We'll fire up the engines and drown them out so other people don't have to hear their hatred."

end quote