PDA

View Full Version : Vibration problem

freak400
08-07-2008, 02:16 PM
I just remounted a 250r motor in a chassis that used to have a 500 motor in it. Got stock front mounts, rear engine mounts and welded a new bottom mount on it as well. It is a 88 frame with a 86 swingarm. The tabs for the rear mounting were cut off, hence the 86 swing arm and mount.
I figure since the frame was messed with is why I am getting all this vibration. Or could it be due to the year differences?? Anybody use a 86 swinger with a 88 or 89 frame?? Looks like a may need a 86 frame.

86 Quad R
08-07-2008, 02:47 PM
remove the clutch cover and see if the counter balancer is in proper time. :cool:

freak400
08-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I just did a search and am seeing that this is a common problem. I suppose I will need new gaskets and all of that good stuff. How would a guy get the marks lined back up if they are out of time??? It would probly make sense if I had it tore down right now, but I just got done double nutting everything with lock tight to keep them from coming apart LOL.

86 Quad R
08-07-2008, 03:52 PM
it can be done with the engine in place. ;) the yellow dots indicate where to align.

freak400
08-07-2008, 08:37 PM
So it's just those two that need to be aligned?? And say if they are 180 degress out, does the counterbalacer just pull out and need to be reset in?

freak400
08-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Well after I got it all tore down, the Crank gear was out 180. The balancer and crank were lined up. But that isnt worth a crap if it is out 180 on the crank. Thanks for your help, gonna put it back together tonight and try it tommorow.

86 Quad R
08-12-2008, 06:48 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

freak400
08-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Holy **** new problem. Went to put it together and I have a striped out bolt hole on my inner hub for my clutch basket. So now I ordered a new one of them. I noticed that one looked pretty bad when I took it apart. Oh well, just lucky it didnt come out I guess.

IcutMetl
05-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Good thread. Maybe it's just me being paranoid, but I'm having the same problem...I think. I swear it's vibrating a bit more than when I first got it. I rebuilt the top end, which it needed anyways, and it starts up and idles like a top, but seems to have just a bit of vibration...not jetted yet though. Maybe I'll have to check the counterbalancer- wanted to polish the cover anyways.

LONG-ROD
05-10-2009, 10:00 AM
when Mine was out on my first build, It would rattle my feet off the pegs, literally. are you sure your crank is up to snuff.

IcutMetl
05-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Oh snit, it's not anywhere near that bad! Probably just me having an unrealistic expectaion not to be able to feel it run....haha.

I'm going to get a clutch cover gasket, take the cover off and polish it anyways, so I'll take a look at everything then.

If something in the motor takes a dump again, I think I'll pull the entire thing apart and start from scratch so I KNOW how everything looks. For now, I'm happy to have a good top end on it- suspension is next.

Thanks!