PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buyin a Recon this weekend...

quad2xtreme
08-07-2008, 10:53 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=360631

Posted this in the Honda utility section but know many don't go into all the sections even though they have tons of knowledge.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

quads14589
08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
i used to have one but it was the es model so its prolly the manuel deal, they were fun to ride and all but mine had a problem with it turning off alot when i would go throught water it would just die out i would go and check the air filter and it would be dry as hell and it would run with the choke but no choke ran like ****

blacknblue#2
08-08-2008, 01:41 AM
from my experience with them you cant tear them up. All the ones i have been around are the manual shift models and they were bulletproof. Just basically a 250EX with racks

jesseweaver
08-08-2008, 04:02 AM
we have one and those things are so much fun. i beat the living hell out of it and it never stops. we never really had any problems with it

quads14589
08-08-2008, 05:37 AM
i beat the **** out of mine to took it off jumps and cliffs the thing had a bent frame and everything and i sold it for 1600 bucks only problem was with the going through the water but u could run that machine wide open forever and she would take it like a champ

quad2xtreme
08-08-2008, 06:15 AM
I missed out on the deal. Somebody else beat me to it. :(

HUNT1940
08-08-2008, 06:34 AM
i dont know how far you are willing to drive but if you look in craigslist .and i beleive its central jersey there is a mint one for sale.i was going to buy it for my wife but i want somthing fully automatichttp://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/787450836.html

quads14589
08-08-2008, 07:45 AM
the ES is almost fully automatic all you have to do is push a button and its better cus you can pick your own gears

quad2xtreme
08-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by quads14589
the ES is almost fully automatic all you have to do is push a button and its better cus you can pick your own gears

Tyler, can you accidently go down into neutral with ES like you can with the foot shifted model?

That is the one thing I did like about putting people on my Kodiak. You put it in "drive" and they only need to know two things. The thumb controls the gas and all the other levers work the brakes.

The reason I wanted a Recon though is it is simple, lightweight, and just freaking fun. I enjoy riding the Recon more than riding my Kodiak. Overall, I think an inexperienced rider is better off on a Recon than the other "monster" 4X4 utility quads on the market.

/Jon

quads14589
08-08-2008, 08:59 AM
on the ES its reverse, neutral, 1,2,3,4,5 i have it on my foreman to

atvnut22
08-08-2008, 10:15 AM
recons will last through anything, i learned to jump on mine... and learn to wreck, it been through h3!! and back! before i got my ex we would put 5 people on it and do wheelies! their was 2 on the back rack, 2 on the seat and 1 on the front rack, we had to shift into first and hold the lever up, get the revs up then let go of the shifter!:p :D :cool:

Regular_Joe
08-08-2008, 10:40 AM
The engine and overall setup is very reliable. The Recon and 250EX share almost all engine and parts. I'm sure you know the 250EX is a proven reliable quad thats been around forever.

The Recon has two models. There is the regular 5 speed semi-automatic one and then the ES model. They only difference is the shifting. The ES removes the shifting lever and replaces it with 2 buttons on the handlebars. There are just two big up and down arrows. Push the one for the shift direction you want. Now this is a nice benefit when you have a new driver. If you get to a big hill you can tell them to just crawl in first, or charge up it in second, etc. They know EXACTLY what gear they are in.

We have both a Recon ES and a 250EX. The 250EX has 10% more power and weighs 50lbs less. However that 50 lbs is dedicated to mud protection. The Recon keeps you clean while the 250ex not so much. That 50lbs doesn't sound like much but ride them back to back and the 250EX makes the Recon feel like a tank.

As far as the 250EX the 2006+ ones have a "sport clutch". This makes the machine so much fun. All this adds to the machine is a clutch, but they keep the tranny as a 5 speed semi-automatic. So from a purely logical point of view, the clutch isn't needed and is just a waste. For my fiancee she never uses it and could care less. She just lets off the gas and shift like normal. I am just the opposite. I use it 24/7. I pop it going off the tops of bumps and hills. I loft the front end or spin the tires with it all the time. Plus when you get off a standard machine and hop on it, its got the "clutch" and its not a brake lever.

We typically ride on tight trails on my parents land. Between my parents and I we have a 400EX, 250EX, Recon ES, Banshee, Wolverine 4x4, FourTrax 4x4, LT160, and a TTR-125LE dirtbike. Out of all our machines the 250EX is by far the most fun. After that my second choice is the TTR dirtbike. If you want a fun little sporty quad to rip around on then the 250EX is what you want. If your going to be hitting a fair amount of mud, then the Recon is probably a better match.

quad2xtreme
08-08-2008, 01:06 PM
you sold me on the 250ex. I want everyone to get as dirty as I do on the 400ex. :-) I didn't realize there was a 50 lb difference. that is night and day. That is how I feel between my 450r and my 400ex. The 400ex just feels heavier in steering, pushing it, etc.

Regular_Joe
08-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Just remember its the 2006+ that have the sport clutch .....

And if you like to wheelie this is the machine for you. The 400ex and the Banshee may loft the front end much easier, but the 250ex is far easier to maintain a wheelie with. This is the only quad I have successfully mastered the gas/rear brake together to be able to ride wheelies till I run out of room. I think is because its not too powerful. Its just he right mix I think.

When we get a good group together we all take turns on the 250EX doing wheelies. Its a riot. Even the women are getting into it. My fiancee can usually get 2 or 3 good pumps of the gas and ride some pretty good ones. Its something she and I never really thought she'd get into and do.