PDA

View Full Version : silencer Q's

JIMFROMTEXCO
08-07-2008, 09:22 AM
ok i have a shanty fmf silencer that is obnoxiously loud. my friend lives about 2 miles away and says you can hear my bike like its 100 yards away when its on the pipe.

im looking to get a sparks mx pipe to replace the fmf fatty and was wondering what silencer should i go for? i would also like one with a spark arrestor so i don't have any problems getting into any ride spots.

if you guys could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it. i like the lrd with the turn down to throw the sound at the ground.

Fear250r
08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
You can't use a spark arrestor with the turn down, but yes, the LRD I had wasn't all that loud.

JIMFROMTEXCO
08-07-2008, 11:08 AM
is there any silencers, besides stock, that have an internal spark arrestor?

250Renvy
08-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Silencer options are limited to FMF with built in spark arrestors. I believe it's either the turbine core or powercore, either way it should say on it. CT makes one, but you'd be hard pressed to find one used.

You may want to try re-packing you silencer. A repack kit is around $15-$20

A Sparks silencer could be easy to install one on or at least a screen.

DG, Paul turner and some others have bolt on spark arrestors.

JIMFROMTEXCO
08-07-2008, 11:14 AM
is that all you need is a screen to arrest sparks?

250Renvy
08-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by JIMFROMTEXCO
is that all you need is a screen to arrest sparks?

Generally that's all it is, but to get into some places you need a USFS approved spark arrestor.

mineralgrey01gt
08-07-2008, 11:53 PM
I have one of the LRD silencers you are talking about for sale. Its not loud at all, has a very nice tone also, never had a problem riding it anywheres. If you want pics, just pm me and ill send you some along with a price

dynofox
08-09-2008, 06:19 AM
I use the stock silencer with my Paul Turner 89 TRX race head pipe. The Turner silencer for this pipe was too loud for where I ride as well (even after a fresh re-pack), the stocker quites it down a lot.

troybilt
08-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Does anyone know if an LRD silencer will mount up to an FMF SST pipe?? Is the LRD silencer obnoxiously loud?

norcalduner
08-19-2008, 12:00 PM
ESR also makes silencers with spark arrestors now. I use the CT version and it is pretty loud although you can remove and clean the screen and run without if you want.

250Renvy
08-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by norcalduner
ESR also makes silencers with spark arrestors now. I use the CT version and it is pretty loud although you can remove and clean the screen and run without if you want.

How loud would you say the CT version is? Over 99 db?

I just checked out that ESR and the way it looks like a 4 stroke, makes me think it would be off the charts loud.

Jim - I'd say if you need a USFS approved, go with FMF or PRO-circuit, if not, just buy a small screen and mount it in whatever you have.

JIMFROMTEXCO
08-19-2008, 02:15 PM
has anyone ever ran a pro circuit?
im not really to worried about the arrester just want to get sound down

86 Quad R
08-19-2008, 04:42 PM
it's been my experience that any of the FMF, CT, LRD Ect. are plenty quiet provided the packing is fresh and ofcourse the perforated< sp tube on the inside is in good shape and the holes arent half closed. they are even quieter(so it seems)if the silencer has a turn down.