PDA

View Full Version : Pretty dumb to sign a petition to stop the gas tax - McCain's proposal

quad2xtreme
08-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Not being political here at all...

If gas is based on supply and demand...eliminating the gas tax will just drive up demand when the price is lower thus causing prices to go up to what they were to lower demand again. Instead of the government getting the money for taxes, Mobil and Exxon will get it to fatten their profits.

Am I missing something here?

BludgerDB
08-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme

Am I missing something here?
No - the gas tax holiday proposal has been completely debunked by everyone who can read and understand the 1st chapter of a basic economics book. It's a publicity stunt at best.

trx310R#24
08-07-2008, 01:27 AM
they just need to pump more oil an more in the us an dont sell to china

Hondamaster5505
08-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Once again, people defending the government.

By the time the oil company is done, they only make $.09 a gallon. They rightfully deserve that.

They have to drill, pay tons of employees, and deliver the oil. Like I said, by the time they're done, they only make $.09 a gallon.

The government gets around $.60 per gallon. They do nothing. Thats like owning a business, and you get a check for $200. A guy walks by and says, "I do nothing, but you owe me. Give me $100"

I don't think we should get rid of gas tax, but we should definitely lower it. Those government scumbags do nothing to help, and take a huge profit from the oil companies.

Then the democrats have enough balls to blame the oil companys for everything? Please.

quad2xtreme
08-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505

By the time the oil company is done, they only make $.09 a gallon. They rightfully deserve that.

They have to drill, pay tons of employees, and deliver the oil. Like I said, by the time they're done, they only make $.09 a gallon.

The government gets around $.60 per gallon. They do nothing. Thats like owning a business, and you get a check for $200. A guy walks by and says, "I do nothing, but you owe me. Give me $100"

I don't think we should get rid of gas tax, but we should definitely lower it. Those government scumbags do nothing to help, and take a huge profit from the oil companies.

Then the democrats have enough balls to blame the oil companys for everything? Please.

Forget the politics...are you saying that if we eliminated the tax on gas that the price would be what it is today minus the tax? If so, this goes against economic theory.

Did you know that the big oil companies posted record profits again? How do you explain these companies thriving so well in an economy that is going to ****?

Again, I could care a less about democrats and republicans...that is just trying to add complexity and cloud the question. My question is what is the benefit of supporting McCain's proposal to eliminate the gas tax? Would it help in the short-term? Would it help in the long-term?

beaker1214
08-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah we are at a record high price for gas and people are using less fuel this summer due to the price of fuel. so if all this is true then how are the big oil companies such as Exxon recording record highs this quarter.....Think about it....If they are just making $.09 per gallon and less gallons are being sold, how do you figure they are recording record highs..... Seems pretty simple to me...I agree they need to earn some money but they are makin a heck more then .09 a gallon

8my_Cash
08-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Gas tax funds the highways and roads ect so we elimnate that something else is going to have to cover that tax.....what should be eliminated is income tax because its illegal and was enacted on false pretenses lol

but the only reason gas is so high is because 87octane is made with unicorn tears and 93 octane is made with unicorn tears and little pieces of gold from the leprchans(SP) pot'o'gold

so we need to breed more unicorns to fix the price:)

justin1022
08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I don't think we should get rid of gas tax[/B]

beaker1214
08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 8my_Cash

but the only reason gas is so high is because 87octane is made with unicorn tears and 93 octane is made with unicorn tears and little pieces of gold from the leprchans(SP) pot'o'gold

so we need to breed more unicorns to fix the price:)
Thats good stuff hah

bwamos
08-07-2008, 01:36 PM
If you get rid of the gas tax it will simply be diverted into income/property/business/sales taxes. The funds to maintain roads and infrastructure has to come from somewhere.

Either way you're still going to be paying those taxes.

Misappropriation of taxes collected is a completely different subject.

quad2xtreme
08-07-2008, 03:01 PM
How about a system where all American citizens get issued a government gas credit card that is good for 40 gallons of gas a month at $2.00/gallon. All gas after that is market price.

LOL, you would see everyone including businesses start to go through rapid changes. Everyone would have a fuel efficient car, telecommuting would become the norm, people would walk and ride bicycles more. It would be hard to swallow that jump from $2 a gallon to about $8 a gallon for excess gas usage.

Maybe consider a flat rate for trucking companies at $3.00 a gallon.

Crap, what am I saying. I wouldn't be able to go to Breezewood. LOL. OK, leave it alone.

m.h.s.c.#527
08-08-2008, 01:38 AM

im a republican but thats why exxon mobile showed record profits this year and we consumed less

m.h.s.c.#527
08-08-2008, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by beaker1214
Yeah we are at a record high price for gas and people are using less fuel this summer due to the price of fuel. so if all this is true then how are the big oil companies such as Exxon recording record highs this quarter.....Think about it....If they are just making $.09 per gallon and less gallons are being sold, how do you figure they are recording record highs..... Seems pretty simple to me...I agree they need to earn some money but they are makin a heck more then .09 a gallon

sorry i missed your post

user101
08-08-2008, 07:09 AM
i agree with the ones who say its the goverment fault(mainly congress, controlled by democrats and that F'ING C-word Pilosi).

Congress was supposed to vote on offshore drilling last friday but the democrats decided they're going on vacation till september to delay the process(typical)

now im not saying its the democrats fault BUT, it is

bwamos
08-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by m.h.s.c.#527
im a republican but thats why exxon mobile showed record profits this year and we consumed less

Meh... that's a tricky number there.

The number reported was E.B.I.T. Earnings Before Intrest and Taxes. I'd wager actual profits after intrest and taxes would be significantly lower than that and a bit higher than the MLB Payroll. :)

trxwannbe
08-08-2008, 10:12 AM

you are usually pretty well informed when you bring up a point in a discussion but in this case your are wrong. its the gas station itself that is only making 9 cents a gallon which is why you see so many with big convenience stores, its where they make their money, it also why you will start seeing different prices for cash or card because it cost the station money for each card transaction. the oil company itself makes near a dollar per gallon when they sell to the gas station and just to give you an idea i worked at a small station with 4 pumps and we were ordering almost 26,000 gallons a week, and also do discredit one myth about gas, it is ok to buy after a shipment because do you honestly believe they pump from the top of the holding tank, how would that work?