PDA

View Full Version : This is truely ridiculous!

Creech52
08-06-2008, 06:29 PM
So Ive had my project R for awhile now, and on a few occasions have tried sourcing parts to finish it. Well lately Ive been buying some parts from people here (thanks by the way to those people) and some from ebay. Ive been really on an ebay hunt lately for anything that is usefull, I needed a seat and a tank and have bidded on both but stopped before it has drained my wallet, and too see what this stuff sells for is truely amazing! I can not believe there are people willing to pay so much for parts that I maybe wouldnt even pay half of what it goes for. Well tonight I seen the mother of all inflated priced parts. Please direct your browser to Exhibit A: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180271781736

Master LTR450
08-06-2008, 06:44 PM
That truely is ridiculous!!

What parts are you still looking for?

LONG-ROD
08-06-2008, 06:45 PM
That really don't seem to bad if you need it.

Master LTR450
08-06-2008, 06:57 PM
That really don't seem to bad if you need it.

Ok do you need one or maybe two??

mineralgrey01gt
08-06-2008, 08:03 PM
hey man, if you need a gastank and petcock or a seat i have them all for sale, ill do $110 shipped for all of it. Ill ship them UPS

Creech52
08-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Theres still alot of parts I need, but thanks to the members here Ive gotten a good bit of the stuff that sells for 3 times as much on ebay for a good price.

I just sent a money order for the seat tonight, I do still need a tank with mounts and petcock (I do have a tank, but it seems easier and cheaper to just buy one complete). Mineral, I actually posted a reply in ur for sale thread about the tank.

And yes that is ridiculous, someone has to be nuts to spend over $60 on a little itty bitty valve and hoses that prolly costs less then a buck to make. I know R parts are getting rare but come on? Theres enough guys on ebay buying up good whole quads and parting them that prices shouldnt be that inflated. Ive seen seats go for damn near $500 or more, tanks over $100, its making me slowly regret buying a roller, I figured I save money by getting just a roller and then buying the parts I wanted instead of buying a whole bike and swapping everything I didnt want out for the parts I did. I thik I was wrong.

2muchquad
08-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah i hear ya',i bought mine as just a frame with a steering stem,plastics,tank and seat and i slowly got her together.I paid almost $30 for a set of bent footpegs:( But i needed them,even some of the "buy it now"prices from some vendors are ridiculous

Creech52
08-06-2008, 10:31 PM
I wish I had the means to build repop R parts and sell them for a reasonable amount. Id even just like to make aftermarket parts, things that have slowly disappeared over the years from the 4-poke revolution. The saddest part is technology isnt progressing with R parts like the 4-pokes. The companies that do make the parts, are making the same 10-15yr old parts with no advancements in design or anything.

tys88r
08-06-2008, 10:48 PM
That is unreal!!!! I would never pay that! Amazing what people pay for certian items on e-bay...............

Aceman
08-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Creech52
I can not believe there are people willing to pay so much for parts that I maybe wouldnt even pay half of what it goes for. Well tonight I seen the mother of all inflated priced parts. Please direct your browser to Exhibit A: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180271781736

Did you even bother to price that stuff on Service Honda? No.

It comes to roughly $80+ shipping. That guy paid $72 shipped. Maybe the buyer has never heard of Service Honda or maybe he usually only buys through his local dealer who probably charges MUCH more than Service's low prices. Or.... maybe when he went to a dealer, they were on "factory backorder." Don't be so shortsighted that you can't see he might of needed it right away and couldn't find it anywhere else. Maybe he doesn't have time to wait for a deal like you do!

Rant off. I just can't stand it when people b*tch about something when they don't know the circumstances involved.:rolleyes:

2muchquad
08-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Rant off. I just can't stand it when people b*tch about something when they don't know the circumstances involved.

Where i come from if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then its a duck.Not everybody has excess bread to throw around such as 3 grand for a aftermarket frame or $1200 for a long travel set up when they WILL never get their money back even if they could ride it to its potential.Its because of people that share your point of view is why the mark up for aftermarket bolt ons is so high.Because if somebody powder coats a turd,some yo yo will buy it..bottom line.So i guess you dont mind paying for that $100 shifter because theres a lot involved...:rolleyes:

Aceman
08-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
Its because of people that share your point of view is why the mark up for aftermarket bolt ons is so high.Because if somebody powder coats a turd,some yo yo will buy it..bottom line.So i guess you dont mind paying for that $100 shifter because theres a lot involved...:rolleyes:

What are you talking about? Don't put words in my mouth, show me where I typed that in my previous post? You're focusing on the fact it's polished, where I never even mentioned that.

I said the guy might of needed it right away or couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else and so, was willing to pay for it.

FOR THE RECORD, I buy almost all aftermarket parts used because I'm not willing to pay the high prices aftermarket atv companies charge. I have time to wait for the deals to come along. But you know what, when something breaks right before a long weekend of riding I'm willing to pay more to get the quad running. If that means I'm paying $72 to replace a broken petcock then so be it.

2muchquad
08-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Its cool Aceman,i wasnt trying to turn this into a personal attack.I just know theres a huge markup for aftermarket stuff because a lot of quad guys like "bling" and other styuff they dont really need so therefore "rest of us"have to pay accordingly.I too pay full pop depending on the circumstances,just last week i paid almost $17 for a crank seal from the local honda shop when i could have gotten it for $12 online.Well with shipping it might have been the same but you get the idea.Again i didnt mean to make it sound like i was popping off at the mouth about you;)

trx250rider
08-07-2008, 09:57 AM
you think thats ridiculous, dont you guys think this is a little high

Originally posted by Humrz28
Front Elka Standard Travel Triple rate 400EX shocks with piggyback ressys - Rated for a 180ish pound rider

$1200 (includes insured UPS shipping)

D Bergstrom
08-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
Did you even bother to price that stuff on Service Honda? No.

It comes to roughly $80+ shipping. That guy paid $72 shipped. Maybe the buyer has never heard of Service Honda or maybe he usually only buys through his local dealer who probably charges MUCH more than Service's low prices. Or.... maybe when he went to a dealer, they were on "factory backorder." Don't be so shortsighted that you can't see he might of needed it right away and couldn't find it anywhere else. Maybe he doesn't have time to wait for a deal like you do!

Rant off. I just can't stand it when people b*tch about something when they don't know the circumstances involved.:rolleyes:

I do not think it is all that high either, compared to buying new. Yep, three years ago I bought all that stuff from Service Honda brand new and did not even think twice about it. The parts on ebay look like they are in excellent shape, I do not think he paid to much for them. Sure you could get them cheaper, but what condition would they be in. At the time everything that I could find used was pretty much junk, so I said screw it and bought new.

Doug

250Renvy
08-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Not that it matters, but I'll chime in with my opinion.

NOTHING on EBAY makes sense nor does everybody bidding have a clue what they are bidding on.

Ebay is a free for all. The exact same item can be listed 2x and one time will sell for pennies while the other time sell for hundreds of dollars.
IMO it all depends who is watching, seeing the auction and bidding.

Like somebody said, if you absolutely can't ride without a certain part and you know it's there and can't wait, you'll pay more.

In regards to the petcock - yeah it seems high because most of us know we can get one free with a gas tank that you pay $80 for, but if you purely look at the new cost it's still $100.

my88r
08-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy

NOTHING on EBAY makes sense nor does everybody bidding have a clue what they are bidding on.

I think your incorrect. i always know what I'm bidding on.. theres many people on there selling to make a living. but there is people that do sell JUNK. or they are a dead beat buyer. i cant stand when people BS and ebay seem to have alot of them..

i bought a used bumper from hardcore atv. that didn't even come close to fitting. those same people. have all the 2001 gncc tapes for 32 a piece. :rolleyes:

i just bought all 13 rounds for 10 shipped. in great condition. guy just wanted to get rid of them.:D

deathman53
08-07-2008, 01:37 PM
thats not ridiculas for a petcock, sure, you can get a tank with it for not that much more. Look at the oem cost for the pickup, petcock w/ hoses and discontinued clamp that nobody has, its over $100, alot of these shops sell used/reconditoned parts for 50% of new. I wonder if you guys know, but pickup and petcock for most dirtbikes fit on 250r tanks also, I have a crf450r pickup and petcock on mine, If you go with the x petcock, it has reserve. I have a few of those petcocks, none have that clamp on it. Ebay is all about how much people are willing to pay for stuff.

250Renvy
08-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by my88r
I think your incorrect. i always know what I'm bidding on.. theres many people on there selling to make a living. but there is people that do sell JUNK. or they are a dead beat buyer. i cant stand when people BS and ebay seem to have alot of them..

i bought a used bumper from hardcore atv. that didn't even come close to fitting. those same people. have all the 2001 gncc tapes for 32 a piece. :rolleyes:

i just bought all 13 rounds for 10 shipped. in great condition. guy just wanted to get rid of them.:D

You are incorrect. You may always know what you are bidding on, but a lot of people don't and a lot of kids and first timers don't know what they are doing changes the whole game of ebay.

Think about it, this was a NO RESERVE auction, have you ever noticed that no reserve often gets higher returns than stuff with a reserve. These things should go for cheap but often don't because people bid too early.

BTW your bumper you bought from Hardcore wasn't bad because you bought it from them. His stuff is always top notch - it's because it's an AC and their stuff hardly ever fits.

Deathman does the crf pickup bolt directly into a 250R tank?

Aceman
08-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
Again i didnt mean to make it sound like i was popping off at the mouth about you;)

Oh, well no worries then.:D

Creech52
08-07-2008, 06:07 PM
I dont care how much it costs new, I just find it hard to swallow seeing such a small and other wise common part sell for so much, and it was used. Your point Aceman is the whole reason why its like it is, because people are willing to pay the price theres no reason for it to sell for less. Case in point, gas prices can go up to $5 a gallon, and sure people will ***** but alot of people would still buy it. I understand alot of these things are rare or discontinued, and I can see paying a premium, I just have a hard time wrapping my head around a $60 petcock, which Im sure alot of other people would be in the same place if it wasnt for a 250R. Im sure if someone seen a PW50 petcock for $60 theyd sh*t bricks. Now if it was a quadtech hood selling for $300 I can see that.

Witz
08-07-2008, 08:40 PM
250Renvy: Yes, the CRF pickup bolts into the 250R tank. I've got one on my Laeger CRF.

2muchquad
08-07-2008, 10:06 PM
I guess everything comes full circle again to "the law of supply and demand".I remember when the first 400ex's came out,the local shop was getting 5 or 6 and they were already spoken for.Now they cant give them things away.:ermm:

norcalduner
08-07-2008, 11:33 PM
I think it comes down to time versus money. If you are not in a hurry to get a part then you can shop and wait for the best deal. But if you need the part really bad and cannot wait, then most likely you might have to pay a premium for it.