PDA

View Full Version : got my windows tinted... need some help..

gcart2
08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
ok i bought my truck this last weekend and i took it to the tint shop and had them do 5% all the way around (including a strip on the front). the back windows had tint on them before (factory, as shown) and i would like to know what percent it would take putting over the 5% on the front to make it match the rear? if that made any since.

here are some pictures.

before

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/gcart2/samstruckkkkk002.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/gcart2/samstruckkkkk001.jpg

after

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/gcart2/tintedwindows1.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/gcart2/tintedwindows2.jpg

sorry for the long write up.

gcart2
08-06-2008, 11:42 AM
ok i did some research and found out the rear windows are between 16-18% stock.

i had a layer of 5% put over the rears. now this is my question....

what will i have to do on my front windows ( currently have 5) to make them similar as the rears?

450raider
08-06-2008, 11:47 AM
yeah im in the same boat as you, when i got my f150 done i told the guy doing it to "match the fronts with the back ones as close as he can" and he got it done and it looked light but he was all like "when it dries itll get darker and match" and as it sits now it still doesnt quite match so i may take it back and get 5% like you got cause it looks closer....

gcart2
08-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by 450raider
yeah im in the same boat as you, when i got my f150 done i told the guy doing it to "match the fronts with the back ones as close as he can" and he got it done and it looked light but he was all like "when it dries itll get darker and match" and as it sits now it still doesnt quite match so i may take it back and get 5% like you got cause it looks closer....

i think if i do a layer of 15% over my 5% it will be very close.

"when it dries itll get darker and match"

lol thats what my guy said.

id like to see you post up some pics of your truck if you dont mind.

gcart2
08-06-2008, 01:28 PM
bump

id like to get this done by this weekend

TRX450RACER174
08-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Why would you want your side windows so dark i think it looks good now.

rollie
08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
the stock tint on the back is most likely 15%, so if you put 15% over the front it should match, thats what id do!

gcart2
08-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
Why would you want your side windows so dark i think it looks good now.

well ty. im really ocd and if it doesn't match ill go insane.

FMF450R
08-06-2008, 04:47 PM
tint over tint wont work, it comes out like sh*t.
Leave ur sides @ 5%, thats the best it will look.
The only other choice is to use "Secret Zone" limo, its the darkest sh*t out there, but you would have to bring the tint to the guys who is installing it. Should be avail @ ur auto parts store.

gcart2
08-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by FMF450R
The only other choice is to use "Secret Zone" limo, its the darkest sh*t out there, but you would have to bring the tint to the guys who is installing it. Should be avail @ ur auto parts store.

thats wierd cause hes done more than one of our past vehicles tint over tint and it always turned out good??

idk i guess il have to see what he says.

thanks for the input though :)

im also seriously considering doing a layer of 30% on the front windshield. my mom even noted she would pay for it lol. anybody know anything about this?

and yes i know... its all illegal.

mac450
08-06-2008, 05:34 PM

auto parts tint? LOL, that **** is a joke, go with the real deal, llumar is the only tint to use.

quads14589
08-06-2008, 05:37 PM
i dont know how it is in ur state but my sister had her windows tinted on her car and she has gotten pulled over 2 times for it so watch out

gcart2
08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by quads14589
i dont know how it is in ur state but my sister had her windows tinted on her car and she has gotten pulled over 2 times for it so watch out

florida,

my brother has his truck done that is blacked out and only got pulled ove once. however his truck realy stands out, considering its lifted and black on black.

idk, ill hope for the best.

so what do you guys think i should do on the front to make them match the rear (30,15,5)?

and what do you think about 30% on the windshield?

250x_kyle
08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
its that way here in northeastern america or at seems atleast were the onlyones getting nailed for tint. my bro tints his windows most cops leave him be but hes had to retint his fronts a few times. they say its a safety hazard.

450raider
08-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by gcart2

id like to see it, both an outside and inside picture if you get it done and ill be goin for that as well!! and yeah it probably is illegal, but if you lived where i lived youd be sayin "what isnt" too....

gcart2
08-06-2008, 07:36 PM
id like to see it, both an outside and inside picture if you get it done and ill be goin for that as well!! and yeah it probably is illegal, but if you lived where i lived youd be sayin "what isnt" too....

ill make sure i post em up. i may have it all done tomorrow.

dpizz450
08-06-2008, 09:07 PM
im guessing you put 5% over the factory tint on the back windows right? if so put 20% over the 5% on your front windows to match the back. im gonna tell you now this is not very safe. its very nice during the day but dangerous at night. 20 ontop of 5, you will not be able to see out of at night in an unlit area. also very vulnerable to getting a ticket. it will match and look good though. this is what i have on my truck. i will try to get a pic of it this week before i strip it (got a ticket recently- registered on the cops tint meter 1%)

dpizz450
08-06-2008, 09:11 PM

not meaning to come off as an arrogant arsehole, but you have no idea what your talking about.
1) tint over tint does work. thats what is on mine, and i've had it for a year now with no problems. if a shop tells you it wont work, they are unprofessional and don't know what they're talking about. the top layer of tint will only last as long as the bottom layer. so if your to put on another layer now, they will both be brand new, and last a long time.

2) autozone and wal mart tint and all that crap-is exactly that, crap. ever seen people with the faded purple tinted windows, yeah...if thats the look your goin for then go to autozone. if you brought in some autozone tint to a professional shop, they'd probably laugh at you.
good luck.

dpizz450
08-06-2008, 09:18 PM
florida,

my brother has his truck done that is blacked out and only got pulled ove once. however his truck realy stands out, considering its lifted and black on black.

idk, ill hope for the best.

so what do you guys think i should do on the front to make them match the rear (30,15,5)?

hmm seems like the percentage of window tint is off where you live from here. thats weird. here its 5,20,35,50. anyways...my brother has everything on his infiniti 20%, even the windshield. looks awesome, but he just got a ticket for it. lol i wouldnt tint anything darker then 20 on the windshield. 20 is dangerous enough. i say just stick with the 5% bar.

spdygonzalez450
08-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I have a 2002 chevy and I have been thinking of getting my windows tinted so that all four windows( I have a crew cab) are the same, but what i came across is that my back windows do not have a film tint on them they are "smoked" which from my understanding is that the glass itself has been put through something, some kind of a process so it has a tint to it to block UV rays but not a film that goes over the glass itself. so with an on glass tint(film) you will never be able to get it the same as a "smoked" glass tint. the way i understood it was if i wanted my front to match the rear i would have to "smoke" the front glass to match the rear, which could be the reason why yours do not match as well as you hope.

j_cyrus3
08-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I have 20% all the way around on my Powerstroke. Im about to tint all of mine in 5% From a distance you can't see in my truck, but when you get close you can. I have a 1500$ tv in my truck, i don't want some lowlife looking in my vehicle and deciding he wants it. That's why im going with 5% all the way around.

trx310R#24
08-07-2008, 12:41 AM
ok i did some research and found out the rear windows are between 16-18% stock.

i had a layer of 5% put over the rears. now this is my question....

what will i have to do on my front windows ( currently have 5) to make them similar as the rears?

heres what you do MATH!

if the rears had 18 an you put 5 on the front an rear the rear now has 23 so put 18% on the front an there you go :devil: :rolleyes:

gcart2
08-07-2008, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
heres what you do MATH!

if the rears had 18 an you put 5 on the front an rear the rear now has 23 so put 18% on the front an there you go :devil: :rolleyes:

that is completely wrong. when you add to wind tents (%'s) together it will go down not up.

the way you read it means the more tint you add the lighter it gets..

however you are correct that i need to add 18% to make it equal.

math is right.... but not your math:rolleyes:

dpizz450
08-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by spdygonzalez450
I have a 2002 chevy and I have been thinking of getting my windows tinted so that all four windows( I have a crew cab) are the same, but what i came across is that my back windows do not have a film tint on them they are "smoked" which from my understanding is that the glass itself has been put through something, some kind of a process so it has a tint to it to block UV rays but not a film that goes over the glass itself. so with an on glass tint(film) you will never be able to get it the same as a "smoked" glass tint. the way i understood it was if i wanted my front to match the rear i would have to "smoke" the front glass to match the rear, which could be the reason why yours do not match as well as you hope.

yes, idk how they do it, but it is some type of tint without a film. idk if the glass itself comes like that or how they do it. but anyways, if you want to match all your windows, put 20 on the back and 5 on the front.
20 over 20= 5%
20 over 5=1%
:huh still not sure how that math works, but thats what has been read on the cop tint meters.

Warnerade
08-07-2008, 09:01 PM
or you could just take your truck to a professional that actually knows what they are doing and tell him to match it.

I would not recomemd tinting over tint.

Take the old **** off and get it done the right way.

just my .02 cents

yzrida65
08-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
or you could just take your truck to a professional that actually knows what they are doing and tell him to match it.

Take the old **** off and get it done the right way.

just my .02 cents

didnt he just say that his rear windows were " smoked " or osmething?:confused:

Warnerade
08-07-2008, 11:58 PM
I dont know...didnt bother to read all the posts. As soon as I read "put tint over my current tint to make it match" I clicked the post button...its cheap, do it right the first time.

gcart2
08-08-2008, 07:57 AM
well im going to drop it off today.

im getting a layer of 30% on the windshield and im gonna ask the guy about going a little darker on the fronts.

thanks for the help.

underpowered
08-08-2008, 10:43 AM
layer some 15 over the fronts to match the rear.

as for the windshield, its your truck dude. i know a few guys who have gone as dark as 15 on teh windshield, but 20 is more popular. i am gonna go with only 50% on teh windshield. on my truck though.

gcart2
08-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
layer some 15 over the fronts to match the rear.

as for the windshield, its your truck dude. i know a few guys who have gone as dark as 15 on teh windshield, but 20 is more popular. i am gonna go with only 50% on teh windshield. on my truck though.

the place i go has 30 15 and 5 sitting on the shelves, he can order the other stuff if you must have another tint percentage.

i wasnt able to drop the truck off today due to the hi mph winds and rain. ill hop for tomorrow.

dpizz450
08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade

just my .02 cents

curious as to know why you wouldnt recommend that? i have tint over tint on my front windows. had it for a year now with no problems. it will last just as long as the tint under it, which his is new so it will be alright.

Mxjunkie
08-08-2008, 09:24 PM

im also seriously considering doing a layer of 30% on the front windshield. my mom even noted she would pay for it lol. anybody know anything about this?

and yes i know... its all illegal.

My friend had his windshield tinted and he pegged a deer at about 50 one night. The worst part was he never saw the thing till he drove back to look and see what he hit! It was a damn near a head on hit too, The deer went down the entire side of the truck and he had no clue what the hell he hit at all lol.. Let's just say he took the tint off immediately after that happened.. My 2 cents anything below 20 percent should be for sunday cruisers or show cars, I'd leave the windshield alone or you'll end up having to get a ton of body work someday when you peg something at night.

Common sense, would you wear sunglasses while your driving at night? :o

gcart2
08-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
My friend had his windshield tinted and he pegged a deer at about 50 one night. The worst part was he never saw the thing till he drove back to look and see what he hit! It was a damn near a head on hit too, The deer went down the entire side of the truck and he had no clue what the hell he hit at all lol.. Let's just say he took the tint off immediately after that happened.. My 2 cents anything below 20 percent should be for sunday cruisers or show cars, I'd leave the windshield alone or you'll end up having to get a ton of body work someday when you peg something at night.

Common sense, would you wear sunglasses while your driving at night? :o

thanks for the tip. i have found another tint shop and i am going to do 50% on the windshield. now i just have to find the time.