PDA

View Full Version : starting the polishing ??

exrider2004
12-05-2002, 08:46 PM
today i picked up some things to start the polishing first 3 buffing wheels, tripoli compound white rouge and jewlers rouge, and rust-oleum crystal clear enamel and i have to get some aircraft stipper...is there anything else im missing to start polishing???
does anyone have any good advice on polishing ?

ChadEXer
12-06-2002, 10:27 AM
Its according what your polishing but on a lot of things you will still need to use sandpaper for the best final results!!! But white rouge and jewelers rouge arent really the best thing to use after the tripoli,,,,jewelers rouge has no cutting at all so thats what you would use in the very end to finish it up,,,,the white(which is really for chrome I believe), im not sure if it has cutting either but if it does it is very little, I have found the best thing to use after the brown Tripoli is the pink stuff,,,then you can use the rouge,,,,but the rouge wont clean up the scratches from the tripoli very well!!

Team Outlaw #34
12-06-2002, 10:36 AM
hey chad,

can i still polish and do a good job if i only have all the sand papers and the mother polishing stuff?

ChadEXer
12-06-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Team Outlaw #34
hey chad,

can i still polish and do a good job if i only have all the sand papers and the mother polishing stuff?
Absolutely!!! Just use progressively finer sandpaper, I like to finish off with 1500 grit, but some finish with 1000,,,some even finish with 600 grit but that will still show scratches in the sunlight!!! Here is a pic of my Brushed AC bumper and pipe after just using sandpaper and Mothers!!! it looks awesome, I later put them on the buffing wheel which makes them shine even more though!!!

Extremeracer167
12-06-2002, 12:28 PM
how often do u have to keep at it. Does it hold shine long. And do uuse clear coat?

ChadEXer
12-06-2002, 12:42 PM
I didnt use any clear coat on any of mine, but some people do. you have to touch it up with some polish pretty often to keep it nice!!!

Maryland 400EX
12-06-2002, 01:44 PM
Are you guys polishing steel or aluminum? Steel wil rust when polished so watch it...

Team Outlaw #34
12-06-2002, 02:36 PM
so if i go through water....it would probly be a good idea to put a clear coat on right?

Maryland 400EX
12-06-2002, 02:46 PM
It will help but I don't know if that will stop the rust because on something like a front bumper you're going to hit something and knock the clear coat off then guess what? Rust comes. I polish motorcycle frames in my spare time and yes, I tried the front bumper on my quad. It rusted in no time but I never protected it either.

exrider2004
12-06-2002, 02:47 PM
when i go to take the side cases off i know u have to replace the gaskets...is this a pain??... and is it worth the 18$ for the gasket

ChadEXer
12-06-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by exrider2004
when i go to take the side cases off i know u have to replace the gaskets...is this a pain??... and is it worth the 18$ for the gasket
I dont think it will be,,,I have already ordered the side gaskets for mine and plan to start on the cases soon,,,thats my last thing to polish!!

Maryland, some people polish the steel but i dont because like you said it will rust, but i have polished everything on the bike thats aluminum!!!