PDA

View Full Version : Making a 450r handle incredible?

400exrapes
08-05-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm trying to get my 450r to handle really nice. What I mean by handle nice for now is to turn sharp and smoothly. I bought new handlebars and its not as much as I was hoping. Do you all think a stem would help this ? I considered a gibson +1. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated . I will buy suspension next year after a car comes, but for now I want to work on all the little stuff to make my 450r handle really nice.

BlaineKaiser450
08-06-2008, 12:22 AM
suspension is whats gonna help the most, but id try a precision stabilizer or something similar.

400exrapes
08-06-2008, 07:20 AM
suspension will come next year, right now i'll buy something cheaper that will make a difference most likely a stem or stabilizer .

08-06-2008, 07:52 AM
a stem is more of a comfort item than a handling item. but the more comfortable that your are, the more in control you will feel, and the better the bike will seem to handle.

a stabilizer also will not directly help make it handle better. a stabilizer will make the bars seem less jerky over rough stuff and take away some of the surprise bumps, there by making the ride seem smoother, so you again feel more in control and seem to improve the handling.

but in all actuality, the bike will still handle the same. suspension changes need to be made to improve handling. for what you have in a stem and a stabilizer, you could almost have the fronts re-valved...watch ebay for a gt thunder rear link. laz has them on there from time to time...i had bought mine from him for way less than half the price of a new one. it had a few dings in it, but looked almost brand new...

400exrider707
08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Suspension a-arms as well as wheel and tires are going to do all of this.

If you dont want to break the bank right now, I'd get a set of 4:1 front rims and good tires, that will make the most improvement right now.

I'll be selling my complete C&D front end with hi-flow pistons as well as my rear C&D with GT Thunder linkage very soon. PM me if you're interested.

400exrapes
08-06-2008, 04:55 PM
i'm thinking about sending out the rear shock, and also probably getting a stem or maybe the 4:1 rims.

atvmaster0927
08-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Dan,
Just get the suspension now and then save up later. It will be better in the long run.

BTW, are you still trying to sell your 450r? And i'm still in Florida, i'll give you a call when i get home.

Rich250RRacer
08-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by 400exrapes
I'm trying to get my 450r to handle really nice. What I mean by handle nice for now is to turn sharp and smoothly. I bought new handlebars and its not as much as I was hoping. Do you all think a stem would help this ? I considered a gibson +1. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated . I will buy suspension next year after a car comes, but for now I want to work on all the little stuff to make my 450r handle really nice.

If you want it to turn tighter, grind the steering stops on the stem. Turning radius on the 04-05 450R's is terrible in stock form, and the 06 and newer are worse. I've taken about 1/8" off the stops and it turns much tighter.

400exrapes
08-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Yeah? Sounds good because I might buy some other items. How can I cut the bottom peice down? Did you just sand it, because that seems like it would take forever. Pictures would be nice! thanks man.

TRX450RACER174
08-07-2008, 12:46 PM
I used a Dremel on mine with a cut off wheel that way i didn't have to take the stem off.

400exrapes
08-07-2008, 02:59 PM
does anyone have pictureS?

quad2xtreme
08-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Your only other option is to get caster adjustable a-arms. That is the main problem with the steering on the 450r...not being able to make tight turns like a 400ex or 300ex.

400exrapes
08-08-2008, 08:02 AM
I'll eventually buy arms probably next year, whats the advantage to being able to move the caster? And what adjustment is the caster? Is it the spindle one?

quad2xtreme
08-08-2008, 01:02 PM
caster is when you adjust the (generally) top spindle forward or backward in relation to the bottom. When you move the top of the spindle forward in relation to the bottom it makes it turn quicker...but if you go too much it induces a twitchy feeling at high speeds.

camber is how far inward or outward the top of the tires are in comparison to the bottom. You want the tops to be in closer than the bottom by 3-4 degrees for motocross.

toe-in is how far inward or outward the front of the tire is compared to the back. You usually want about 1/4" of toe-in..meaning the measurement from center to center of the front tires is 1/4" less than the center to center measurement of the back.

You can't adjust stock a-arms so you are stuck. The only mod you can do to make it turn better is grinding down the steering stem. Don't go too far or your wheels will rub your a-arms.

400exrapes
08-08-2008, 05:37 PM
So when buying arms, you should definatley get caster and camber adjustable. Do you have any pics of before and after steering stem?

quad2xtreme
08-08-2008, 06:43 PM
So when buying arms, you should definatley get caster and camber adjustable. Do you have any pics of before and after steering stem?

I have a stock stem that have the ends ground down. I can snap some pics tomorrow and post. I did what somebody else posted...I used a Dremel and did it while the stem was on the quad. You just have to put down a few layers of duck tape in the case the Dremel gets away from you or you will take the paint off your frame.

I wouldn't be too concerned about wasting a stock stem. They are like $20 on ebay. The main thing is to just grind it slowly and keep checking the steering to make sure the rims don't touch the a-arms.

400exrapes
08-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah? Please post some pics tomorow!

quad2xtreme
08-09-2008, 08:31 AM
You need to grind down the metal on the bottom of the steering stem that makes contact with the metal stops on the frame.

Just take your time. BTW, you can grind a bit further with a set of Hiper 3/2 wheels because they are a bit narrower than a stock rim that is really 5.5" wide.

quad2xtreme
08-09-2008, 08:34 AM
another...

I can't tell you how much to grind off. Just start slow and keep checking by turning the steering all the way to the left and seeing if the back left wheel is touching the a-arm. You want to stop grinding before it is touching. Then do the same for the right side.

400exrapes
08-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Have you made a thread on this? Because if not it would be a good informational post that alot of guys would appreciate. To save money i'm going to grind the stem stopper down, and buy some bar risers because I'm using CR HI bend bars which hit my plastic when i turn them alot. This should make a big difference. The information on caster and camber was very helpful as well. Thanks quad2extreme.

400exrapes
08-09-2008, 07:02 PM
WELL what a suprise, my stem has already been grinded down perfectly until the excact point the stem hits the frame, the wheel hits the arm. I didnt notice until i looked real close, now how can I get a quick turning machine? It still turns pretty slow lol .

quad2xtreme
08-09-2008, 10:07 PM
WELL what a suprise, my stem has already been grinded down perfectly until the excact point the stem hits the frame, the wheel hits the arm. I didnt notice until i looked real close, now how can I get a quick turning machine? It still turns pretty slow lol .

Once you make sure your toe-in is correct then there is little you can do except get the caster adjustable a-arms. I have the +1 Houser XC a-arms showing up Tuesday or Wednesday for my wife's quad but that is a $900 expense.

/Jon

400exrapes
08-10-2008, 04:34 PM
I can fix the toe-in using the tie-rod correct? and this will wear the inside of the tire faster then the outside as well right?