PDA

View Full Version : 02 400ex carb issues.

shifty
08-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Hello all, My 400ex has been sitting for about 12 months and i'm trying to get it running again. I've drained the fuel from the tank and pulled the carb. Cleaned the carb all out w/ carb cleaner and compressed air and still can't get the bugger to stay idling. It will catch momentarily fully choked but dies w/in 5-10 secs. It won't idle at all at 1/2 choke or choke off. I'm pretty sure it's fuel/air mixture but couldn't find a setup procedure or default jet settings. It does have a high compression piston, K&N filter and full HMF exhaust. Thanks for your help.

drew416ex
08-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Even though you cleaned it, it still sounds like the pilot jet may be clogged. Did you take everything out of the carb to clean it, or just spray some cleaner in it.

shifty
08-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Is there a resource on here that identifies which jet is which and what the rough settings should be? Maybe i didn't clean the pilot jet. Please excuse my lack of carb experience and thanks for the help.

86 Quad R
08-06-2008, 11:58 AM
havent you a service repair manual?

shifty
08-06-2008, 12:02 PM
If i did i wouldn't be asking these questions would I?

86 Quad R
08-06-2008, 12:10 PM
obviously!

next question........... have ya done a search? not trying to sound like a jerk but, i believe i replied to a post not long ago and there was a posted pic direct from the manual.

here ya are dude:cool: the pilot is the short one thats offset from the plastic baffle

http://www.atvriders.com/images/articles/pilotjet/pilot2.jpg

shifty
08-06-2008, 12:37 PM
i tried the search, found some useful info but not what i was requesting. I'm not trying to be an *** but even if the the post was directly above mine isn't important, these forums are supposed to be for helping out someone w/ a question, not busting their balls on whether or not they have exhausted their other options before they asked a question.

Xsapper
08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
here ...#37 is the pilot jet

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/honda-atv-trx400ex-fourtrax-ex-2000-carburetor/o/m2657sch96828

when you remove the float bowl you'll be looking at what appears to be 2 brass screws, one is the main jet and the other is the pilot. the pilot jet is the bigger (longer) of the 2. soak it in some carb cleaner and use a piece of fine wire to clean out the holes ...particularly the one that runs down the center of it ...that's what's probably plugged

shifty
08-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks Xsapper, Thanks for the link. Quad is back up and running like a top.

Xsapper
08-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Good stuff! you're welcome ....somebody introduced me to those BikeBandit schematics a long time ago

another thing that may help you next time is a product called Seafoam ...it's a heavy duty cleaner you add to the gas tank to clear out the varnish and plugged jets ...it works really well, particularly in applications where the carbs aren't as easy to get at as ours