PDA

View Full Version : bead breakers

mudder700
08-05-2008, 05:48 PM
What does everyone use for breaking the beads on these little monsters? I have some tires to change and was wondering if anyonehad an easy way of doing so, I have the tire spoons, just need to get the bead broke. Thanks......:D

Rcarroll
08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Your local tire shop should be able to do it.

jread14
08-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Rcarroll
Your local tire shop should be able to do it.

I second that... I have torn up a ton of nuckles doing it myself.

raptorobbie
08-06-2008, 06:32 AM
i have 5 quads which means about a million tires to change - I finally broke down and bought that Harbour Freight portable tire changer w/ the additional ATV bead breaker tool. Once I got my own technique down for breaking beads it became very simple.

I tried every trick in the book to break some factory Hondas down and almost lost my mind in the process. Figured out how to use that HF machine and broke those Hondas down w/ out breaking a sweat! (Im told the Hondas factory tires are some of the toughest to break).

Let me know if you need more info - but definetly worth the 29 + 7 bucks I paid for it!!!!

rob

markvette
08-06-2008, 07:07 AM
this is gonna sound crazy but i have used this method for a while. get you a 2x4 or 2x6 about 3 feet long. lay it on the ground like a ramp. one end on the ground the other on the tire as far up as you can get it without getting on the edge of the rim. drive your truck up the 2x6 ramp. helps if a helper stands on the tire so it dont flip. i just broke some beads last week with this method.

Mark

dblacks
08-06-2008, 08:23 AM
not the 1st time it has been done that way

JIM GRACE
08-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by raptorobbie
i have 5 quads which means about a million tires to change - I finally broke down and bought that Harbour Freight portable tire changer w/ the additional ATV bead breaker tool. Once I got my own technique down for breaking beads it became very simple.

I tried every trick in the book to break some factory Hondas down and almost lost my mind in the process. Figured out how to use that HF machine and broke those Hondas down w/ out breaking a sweat! (Im told the Hondas factory tires are some of the toughest to break).

Let me know if you need more info - but definetly worth the 29 + 7 bucks I paid for it!!!!

rob

i think my buddy has this same set up in his garage and works
great on breaking the bead. that reminds me to have drop off
brandons paddles and let him mount em up.. that's the ticket

brandon's dad #55

jjd223
08-06-2008, 05:36 PM
if you dont have the proper tools it can be frustrating, Sometimes the tire shop guys have a bad time too!!

mudder700
08-06-2008, 06:35 PM
I used the 2X6 trick and it worked flawless, wasn't sure the Toyota Yaris had enough weight at 2200 lbs. but it went great....LOL Thanks Again to everyone on this great forum