PDA

View Full Version : Axle Straightness??

screaminta
08-05-2008, 03:01 PM
I was wondering how straight should an axle be when it is new? I bent my lonestar axle on my 250r and I have access to a full array of machines to fix this. All that I will need most likely is a press though. Anyway, so does anyone now how much the allowable "runout" is on a new axle thanks..

ohsobad_chevy
08-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Cant tell you the exact straightness of a new axle, but if you bent it too bad, I would just see if warranty would cover it and buy a new axle. It will never be as strong as new once straitened. You might call lonestar and see what the actual straightness is.

08-07-2008, 03:58 PM
if your axle is slightly bent you can straighten it. the metal lonestar uses to make their axles is a type of chromoly steel which is memory steel. so when you bend it back it should almost go back to where it was before. but as for your tolerance on the trueness of the axle i would say stick it in a lathe and spin it by hand with a dial indicator hooked to the chuck. and check the straight side first and make sure the other side matches it. i cant see them being dead nuts but they are probably 5 to 10 thousance of an inch out.

i hope this helped you.

screaminta
08-08-2008, 10:51 AM
I looked through a yamaha warrior service manual (at my friends house, have yet to check mine) and in that manual for the stock axle the runout limit is .060" (sixty thousandths) so I guess thats a good starting place....

08-08-2008, 11:07 AM
yea there you go start from their and see. is that from middle of axle to end or end to end cause that will make a huge differnce?

screaminta
08-08-2008, 02:51 PM
The manual has the drawing with two indicators at both ends of the axle and the center of the axle on a v-block..I work in manufacturing so inspection tooling etc is no issue....i'll sork it out on monday...thanks for the insight though.....

John451
08-10-2008, 09:09 PM
A new axle is wicked straight. It's like _____________
That straigt. New ones shouldnt be bent. Theyr straighht lol..

ohsobad_chevy
08-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by John451
A new axle is wicked straight. It's like _____________
That straigt. New ones shouldnt be bent. Theyr straighht lol..

Some true words of wisdom, right there.
lol
:p