PDA

View Full Version : need emergency help here please

250r rider 88
08-05-2008, 12:40 PM
ok i was installing my new clutch and got in a little bit of a hurry and sanpped one of the 5 bolts forthe clutch springs off in the clutch center and i need this by friday

now what are my options? can i remove and drill and retap and it will be ok

does anyone have one laying around they could get to indiana by friday i would pay all shipping charges no problem

or can i just for this weekends race (couple practices and 4 motos) run with just 4? i know it sounds stupid and i dont think it would work

please let me know on this asap guys

thanks

ESR350r
08-05-2008, 01:55 PM
I have a bolt if you can get it out. I am just south of Lafayette IN

crf450rhybrid
08-05-2008, 03:14 PM
what are you looking for? I have a 87 250r motor with a blown trans. Let me know what you need.....

250r rider 88
08-05-2008, 03:51 PM
heres a pic of what im looking for:

All250R
08-05-2008, 05:44 PM
The service manual doesn't offer a torque value for the those bolts directly, but indirectly in the very front of the manual it says to torque 6mm bolts (case bolts, clutch bolts) to 7-9ftlbs if I remember correctly. 9ft pounds is not a lot of pressure. It helps if you have a torque wrench to help you.

If you're using the stock bolts they should break before the aluminum strips. In that case you should be able to to back that bolt out and get another to start over with. You don't want odd weight bolts in there if you can help it. Cross reference the part number for the bolt and your local honda place might have it on the shelf for a number of bikes.

mfr422
08-05-2008, 06:46 PM
250r rider,
Try to easy out the bolt if you can get it out, you can rethread and use it temporarily. A better solution if the threads are damaged is to helicoil the basket, you can buy the kits at any auto parts store. I have a basket in my R with two of them helicoiled due the threads stripping out, it will work fine. Roost on!!!

coryatver
08-05-2008, 06:53 PM
I have broke a bolt off in it, and then I broke the clutch center trying to remove it with a screwdriver. I got a new one and used a torque wrench at 9 pounds and broke another bolt. I recommend getting all new bolts when you take it apart becuase I think they get weak after use. The second time I used an easy out to get the bolt out and just used a small ratchet and got them tight. Good Luck.

86 Quad R
08-06-2008, 08:51 AM
i've broken that bolt off before and had great success in getting it out by using a small straight pick. :cool:

as a rule of thumb. i use a small 1/4" drive rachet with my hand placed at the neck to tighten. what i do is run them down till snug and then tighten an additional 1/3 turn.

250r rider 88
08-06-2008, 01:56 PM
ok i was able to get the bolt out and a new one in and the clutch is in and works great but now i have another delima

when its in first i can roll it all day long like its in nuetral it doesnt roll easy but with a little bit of force it will roll what would be causing this?

and when i go to kick it, it makes this god awful noise like a rubbing

is it possible the clutch isnt fully adjusted properly?

any help would be appreciated

86 Quad R
08-06-2008, 02:02 PM
the tolerances are really cloce between the pressure plate and the clutch cover. what bolt did you use to replace the other? there is a remote chance its hitting the cover......

as for the slipping while in gear..... is the basket or inner hub groove any?

250r rider 88
08-06-2008, 04:07 PM
used a factory replacement bolt

how deep of grooves should i notice, there were some minor rings, not really grooves in the inner clutch hub but the basket looked ok

86 Quad R
08-06-2008, 04:17 PM
grooves are very noticable (result after the protective coating wears away)whether it be in the basket or the inner hub and will cause the clutch plates and/or disks to stick when applying or releasing the clutch which sounded like what was happening but "the grinding" while kicking it sounds as though something isnt placed right. i'd remove the cover again and see whats going on.

while you in there i'd work the clutch while paying close attention.

hope some of this helps:cool:

250r rider 88
08-06-2008, 04:21 PM
well the grinding started all of a sudden before the clutch went out so i dont think its anything to do with the clutch side of the motor

when running it runs fine shifts great no problem at all, im clueless here on this,