PDA

View Full Version : electrical wires

camarojsc
08-05-2008, 08:55 AM
I got an 400ex a few weeks ago and it is in not to great of shape. All plactic is missing and some other parts. I am almost got everything like new other then a taillight. I got a new key switch yesterday and have not had a chance to trace wires with a voltmeter. In the wiring harness close to the air box I have 4 female plugs not connected to anything. I imagine one set goes to the taillight and the other is maybe why she will not start. The wires are Brown/Blue strip, Green/Silver strip, other two are Brown/Blue strip, Green/Brown strip.

QuadManiac
08-05-2008, 10:31 PM
According to the wiring diagram, the only brown wire (with or without stripe) is for the tail light. There is an extra bullet connector both on the brown and on the co-located green wire (all greens are ground, again, stripe or no stripe), both appear to be for an extra tail light (or perhaps a whip light?)

The only green that isn't a direct ground is light green which goes to the neutral switch.

What are your 'no start' symptoms?

camarojsc
08-06-2008, 06:45 AM
I can bump start and runs fine but the key was broken off when I bought the bike. I got a new key switch. The neutral light comes on when I turn the key on but nothing else. I thought maybe that one of the wires went to the solenoid. The guy I bought it from said that it started intill the key broke cause they have a new batt on it.

dariusld
08-06-2008, 08:00 AM
Stupid question, but is the fuse O.K.?:)

camarojsc
08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Yep, checked that but it is not a bad question because I know people like that that don't check.

QuadManiac
08-06-2008, 01:20 PM
If the neutral light comes on (when the bike's not running), the key swith has nothing to do with the no starter engaging problem, they use the same power wire from the key switch... so the issue is in your starter circuit.

1) With a volt-meter at the starter relay, the key switch on and start button depressed, check for 12V at the yellow/red wire. If not there, the power from the 12V switched side of the handlebar switch cluster isn't reaching the relay. Do your headlights or tail light work?

2) Again at the starter relay, IN NEUTRAL with the key switch on and start button depressed, check with the voltmeter for the yellow/green wire to be at or near ground (should be at about 0.7V). Pull the clutch in and check again (should be at very close to 0V). In gear with the clutch not pulled, it should be at 12V. If neither of these check correct (12V always), the yellow/green wire is interrupted somewhere in the harness between the relay and the neutral (diode) or clutch switch.

If 1 and 2 test correct, and your relay isn't making a nice loud click when you push the start button, your relay is bad.

If you hear the click but no starter spin, short across the starter relay's two large lugs with a screwdriver, briefly. You'll get sparks, but the starter should crank (in neutral of course). This also points to a bad starter relay.

If THIS doesn't work (no starter crank when shorting across the relay lugs), you have battery, battery cable connection or battery cable - starter cable issues.

camarojsc
08-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Found it, it was the start button not making contact. I was able to unplug the harness and and use a screwdriver to cross the two center pins "that run to the start button". It fired right up, so working on getting a new switch. Thanks to everyone.

dariusld
08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by camarojsc
Found it, it was the start button not making contact. I was able to unplug the harness and and use a screwdriver to cross the two center pins "that run to the start button". It fired right up, so working on getting a new switch. Thanks to everyone.

I clean mine all the time. Maybe you could just clean it?

camarojsc
08-07-2008, 07:05 AM
ok I will try it, I tried once to get it apart but let me try again. Thanks