PDA

View Full Version : So I got's me a boat!

Pappy
08-05-2008, 12:48 AM
I sold my dad's boat after he passed away. We did not have the heart to tell him we did not like the stick steering and such, and for a family fo 4 it was pretty uncomfortable. But it was his wish to have his boat and he only got to use it twice before he died:(

Anyway, I have been wanting another boat ever since and finally bought one. Its a Tracker 170 TX with a 50hp 2 stroke. I know its not the fastest, or fanciest but face it, around here you have to buy something that is regularly sold as boat repair/warranty places are few and far between, so we opted to buy a model that could be supported locally.

The family is pretty stoked, we all love to fish etc. I havent been on our local river since 1988:eek2: and just recently learned the Walleye and Smallmouths are huge and numerous! (Back in the 80's you were lucky to catch a few smallies a year and no walleyes exsisted)

Anyway, thought i would share the news and see fi anyone had any walleye tips....I dont think i've ever even seen one beyond a picture but I want to get one in the boat in the worst way now:D

tim colston
08-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Pappy. first off congrats on the boat. IF it floats and runs good and you family get a lot of use out of it who cares what it is. Secondly I fish the walleye run every year on the river up north. I have had success with jig heads with mister twister tails. Get you a good round or oval shaped 3/4" oz sinker and put it about 18" above the jig. Cast upstream and keep it tight as it comes back. Good luck and for smallmouth i have had success with mepps spinners and rooster tails.

quaddad#123
08-05-2008, 07:59 AM
I got a 16 foot 1998 Tracker with a 40hp , It runs about 30mph. I have had it for 10years with very few problems. All the boat I need for now.

Quad18star
08-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Congrats on the boat ... I'm sure you'll get some good use out of it.

We mostly fish for walleye , and we've always had good luck with jigs and white Mister Twisters .... but you'll find the colour that works in the river you're fishing in. Leeches and minnows are always good . Try trolling at a very very slow speed , drifting or even still fishing once you find the hole.

400exrider707
08-05-2008, 09:22 AM
The only time I fish walleye's is when there is ice on the lake! Sorry that dont help much, but congrats on the boat!

xtullyx16
08-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Im not a big fisherman but my dad does.. he usually uses night crawlers ( worms) haha .. he has some goodluck with them because we have a lot of walleye on the wall..

bwamos
08-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I've also just bought an old (realy old like 50 years old.) 14ft flat v-bottom aluminum fishing boat that I bought for $200 w/ a working late 90's 12.5hp 2-stroke Johnson outboard and trailer. I'm in the process of restoring it. Just need to replace the wood (seats) and repaint the floor.

Going w/ bamboo seats and light blue floor w/ sand in the paint for grip. (kind of like a diving board).

Perfect for going to those lakes where you cant take a big Bass boat (hp limitations). It's really stable and tracks well for such a light boat, too. It will boogie w/ that small motor too, since the boat is so light.

I'll have to get some before and after shots when I get it finished.

fastredrider44
08-05-2008, 07:48 PM
We have a very good river locally for crappie. My dad and I use a 1976 12ft alum. boat with a really old 5.5 hp johnson motor. Very manueverable, and moves pretty well with a small trolling motor. We also have another boat that we take out to the bigger part of the lake. Its a 1945 Larson 17ft with a 1956 Johnson 30 horse.

Moral of the story... If the fish are biting, who cares what your in.

cletusEX
08-05-2008, 08:12 PM
You don't have enough hobbies already! Now your taking up fishing.:D Haha! That will be a good boat for you and the family. I grew up on the Potomac fishing for smallies and walleye (and anything else we could catch). We didn't have a boat but we caught a lot wading and out of a canoe. I haven't been out there for years.

Pappy
08-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
I haven't been out there for years.

umm....we can fix that now:p

cletusEX
08-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
umm....we can fix that now:p

Sounds good! We'll also have to set up a cast and blast day in the fall. Shoot some ducks in the morning and troll for big rock in the afternoon. Kind of a Chesapeake grand slam.:blah:

Pappy
08-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Combine that Chessy slam with a Lumberjack slam from Dennys and id be in heaven:D

We busted the cherry on the new bot today. A storm at daylight had us on the water late, but we fished from 9:45 or so to 3pm. Caught alot of sunnies and some smallies. I landed teh biggest smallmouth at 15 inches and threw him back.

Cody found out that river fish are mean:devil:

Pappy
08-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Ryan had a blast, it was his first time ever on a boat. Sucky pics come courtesy of my wife who has no talent with a camera:p

Quad18star
08-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Looks like Cody found out the hard way that the dorsal fin is sharp. LOL

Just remember when you land a walleye , their dorsal fin can stick you good, their teeth are razor sharp and they have a sharp spot on the tip of their gils.

Note ..... never try and lip a walleye . ;) LOL

Here's Melodie with a nice size walleye she caught last year.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_2073.jpg

fastredrider44
08-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Sucky pics come courtesy of my wife who has no talent with a camera:p

Thats it. I'm never posting another pic on here. :blah: If you talk bout your wife's photography skills like that, I'd hate to think about what you might say bout a strangers mad skills with a camera.:macho

quads14589
08-06-2008, 05:42 PM
my buddys dad just bought a brand new 24' parker twin 225 yamis on it let me tell you it hauls major assss and then he has a boston whaler as a putter

gcart2
08-06-2008, 06:22 PM
check your inbox pappy.

Pappy
08-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Well, with all my helpers kncoking out work for me today(I should have bought this boat 3 years ago the way the kids help me get stuff done now so we can go fishing...lol) we headed out after work to see what was biting

Ryan, well, I think we found something he is good at:p

Pappy
08-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Ryan is flat mean on the smallmouths:p

Pappy
08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
He was using a small jig head with agreen twisted tail grub and had them hooked up non stop

Pappy
08-07-2008, 07:34 PM
He wore out 3 of the lil green suckers:p

Quad18star
08-07-2008, 07:37 PM
He was using a small jig head with agreen twisted tail grub and had them hooked up non stop

LOL ... now there's a good picture. You gotta get the kid a smaller glove .... or tell him he can lip the bass to take the hook out. :p

I'm heading out this weekend with Mel and 2 of our friends .... gotta show them what fishing is all about. Once you get the fishing bug , you're hooked for life. I'll post up the pictures Sunday night if we make out well.

Pappy
08-07-2008, 07:40 PM
No doubt greg....

they are just having a ton of fun and its something we can do together. cody isnt the fisherman ryan is, but everyone has something they are good at:p ryan says cody is just a sucky fisherman haha

Pappy
08-07-2008, 07:41 PM
3 deer came down to play. the big doe went back in teh thicker but the fawns played for along time at the waters edge

Pappy
08-07-2008, 07:42 PM
It was a fine evening, even when it rained:p

I geuss the boat caught about 40 fish, we released them all.

Quad18star
08-07-2008, 07:46 PM
As they say ... good things come to those with patience. Man I've been out fishing full days ... I mean 12 hours + of fishing ... and never came home with anything . And then again , I've gone out on some days and had our limit within 20 minutes of fishing.

My dad went out with some friends the other day ..... they landed over 70 pike .... kept 6 for dinner and let go of the rest. Catch and release is just as fun as keeping them.

Post up a picture of the boat ... it looks like a nice one. We mostly use a 12 foot aluminum with a 7.5HP . LOL

wilkin250r
08-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Post up a picture of the boat ...

Indeed. Expecially YOU of all people, how dare you start a thread about a new boat, and don't even post a picture of it!?!

bwamos
08-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Based on the photo's I'd wager it's this boat.. if not something similar.

My favorite style of fishing boat. All function.

Pappy
08-08-2008, 08:41 AM
yep thats the one!

quads14589
08-08-2008, 09:08 AM
my uncle has the same boat but older prolly like a 98 with an old jhonson on it when they used to put them on those boats

Quad18star
08-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Nice looking boat . I wouldn't mind getting the inside of that sucker all slimed up with pike juice. :devil:

Anytime you need a fishing 101 , you know where to find me.

Johnny & Monica
08-10-2008, 09:40 AM
We bought a boat too. Been about 10 years since we had one, about the time Johnny and the kids all started racing. Headed out to the MO river last night and caught 16 catfish between 3 of us in a few hours. The cleaning crew didn't want to spend half the night cleaning so we only brought home six to have for dinner.

Johnny & Monica
08-10-2008, 09:42 AM
My favorite fishing is catfishing and crappie fishing. It's been about 3 years since I went fishing so this was an awesome night to get started again.

ZeroLogic
08-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Johnny & Monica
My favorite fishing is catfishing and crappie fishing. It's been about 3 years since I went fishing so this was an awesome night to get started again.

Nice cat fish, I've been told 500 different things about the wiskers on the cat fish, can they sting you if you touch them?:confused:

Johnny & Monica
08-10-2008, 10:21 AM
No stinging from the whiskers but they can fin you pretty good and that will certainly sting.

Pappy
08-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Johnny & Monica

you and me both, i love crappie and cats!!!

i am learning quick about these damn walleye, and it seems summer isnt the best time to catch them haha. oh well, fall is around the corner!!!!

Johnny & Monica
08-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Never fished for Walleye. I did catch a nasty drum last night almost as bad as a sturgeon.

Quad18star
08-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Pappy ... you can fish for Walleye anytime of the year. We've caught 5 pounders in the middle of the afternoon , on a bright sunny and hot August day. :p

We went out this past weekend with 2 of our friends and went pike fishing. Saturday we landed over 30 pike within a few hours of fishing. Melodie landed the largest , a 7 lb pike .... we brought home our limit of 17 fish. 2 1/2 hours worth of cleaning... glad I showed the friends how to do it . :devil:

I'll post the pictures up later on when I load them onto the PC.

Pappy
08-10-2008, 01:15 PM
yeah we can.

i chatted with some guys on the river yesterday and they said its really hit and miss right now due to the water temps being in the upper 70s. they said as soon as it drops back in the 50s to look out!

JR3
08-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Im looking for just a lil canoe to get to the back of ponds and lakes where the stumps and fallen trees are. but this has been my best freshwater season so far just from the shore and in waiters (sp). I need to start taking pics to. Then striper season is right around the corner fall eeling cant wait .

Quad18star
08-10-2008, 01:40 PM
yeah we can.

i chatted with some guys on the river yesterday and they said its really hit and miss right now due to the water temps being in the upper 70s. they said as soon as it drops back in the 50s to look out!

Ya for sure. If the water is warm right now ... try fishing in about 25 feet or so.

You best bet is to fish for them off of points , any kind of broken or loose rock in the water , any kind of shoals , or near any kind of little stream running into the river.

Any entering water source into the river will provide a lot of feed for them and oxygen. Rocks are they natural hidding grounds since they blend in so well.

Quad18star
08-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Here's the pictures as promised.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_2433.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_2462.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_2432.jpg

Pappy
08-10-2008, 02:18 PM
very nice!!

the area we have been fishing is almost void of structure. I zig zagged alot of it yesterday and its flat...lol

Quad18star
08-10-2008, 02:25 PM
very nice!!

the area we have been fishing is almost void of structure. I zig zagged alot of it yesterday and its flat...lol

Ahhhh....

Keep an eye out for any kind of trees that have fallen into the water .... you might get good luck around those early in the morning and starting at about 1 hour before sunset.

xrxmxcx
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM
pappy you wanna race to the usual fishing spot :p

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/xrxmxcx/1218419444.jpg

Pappy
08-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by xrxmxcx
pappy you wanna race to the usual fishing spot :p

lol...well, i cheat. id take out your engine with a burst from my AR, then chug on up to catch a few fish:devil:

xrxmxcx
08-10-2008, 08:06 PM
its just a little 150 on a 16' boat

:devil:

despite the fact it turns a 24" chopper prop:huh

Pappy
08-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Well, we found out what a walleye looks like:p

Pappy
08-15-2008, 07:57 PM
And I almost lipped him:eek2:

Pappy
08-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Jason (wvspeedfreak) and I went out one evening this week. We caught some monster fish...so many I did not even have time to take pics!!! (we had a great time even though we did not land jaws!!!)

Pappy
08-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Ryan loves catching smallmouths!

Pappy
08-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Ryan got swarmed with ducks. He was chattering up a storm that he will just get him a few frogs come duck season, no need for decoys:p

wvspeedfreak
08-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Jason (wvspeedfreak) and I went out one evening this week. We caught some monster fish...so many I did not even have time to take pics!!! (we had a great time even though we did not land jaws!!!)

I had a good time fishing with you and Cody.We will hit that lake again when the weather gets a little cooler.I went across the creek here at the house and fished the river after work Thursday.Caught about 15 decent smallmouths.

Quad18star
08-17-2008, 11:36 AM
And I almost lipped him:eek2:

Good thing I warned you , eh? :p

Here's a little secret .... if you get a fair size walleye , you can cut out their cheeks .... nice little chunk of meat.

Congrats on getting your first marble eye. They're great eating. :devil:

flyin#5
08-17-2008, 10:04 PM
not too bad of a walleye the gf caught (with a little help from me.. ha) last weekend. we caught this one on lake superior along with a brown trout and lake trout slightly bigger than this.

my padre and her...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Flyin5/CIMG0628.jpg

a pink jig and a leech usually works really good for us when fishing on smaller lakes. find some area with character...

Quad18star
08-17-2008, 10:21 PM
That's a nice size pickerel.

I've never had a chance to fish the Great Lakes for walleye , but I sure wouldn't mind it some day. The Bay of Quinte has produced some HUGE walleye. Some have been record setters.