PDA

View Full Version : 440ex Cooling?

bjg696
08-04-2008, 06:12 PM
My 440 runs a lil warm on the trails. Would putting a SPAL 4" fan be better than a bigger oil cooler?

REPOMAN
08-04-2008, 06:30 PM
i did both when i had my 440. i think the fan did more because i could leave it on when i stopped and took a break. or whenever i wanted to.

hypersnyper6947
08-05-2008, 12:49 AM
i want to do the spal fan, i am wondering how hard the install is though, i have heard good results about it though.

bjg696
08-05-2008, 06:17 AM
I have heard great things about them too. I dont believe it will be hard to mount. But my question is if i do leave the fan running while the atv is off, will it kill the battery? B/c if you leave the light for 10 min the battery is dead.

REPOMAN
08-05-2008, 07:00 AM
as well as the spal fan cools there is no need to leave it on more than a few minutes. i used 2 pieces of aluminum strap on the opposite side of the oil cooler and bolted the fan to it. the 4" spal fan moves alot of air. you can stand at the back of the quad and feel the breeze.

REPOMAN
08-05-2008, 07:01 AM
pic

REPOMAN
08-05-2008, 07:03 AM
i also took some small fuel hose and wrapped the edge of the fan to protect the cooler and the fan from each other

bjg696
08-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Yea i think im gon get me one. Do you run the fan the whole time you are riding it or just when you are at slow speeds?

hypersnyper6947
08-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Repoman can you post some pics of the wiring set up, also do you have it set up to a switch? Maybe u could do a how to in the how to section.

shallow518
08-05-2008, 01:48 PM
how much for one and where you get them

hypersnyper6947
08-05-2008, 02:01 PM
spalusa.com there like $70

Off-Road Maniac
08-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by bjg696
My 440 runs a lil warm on the trails. Would putting a SPAL 4" fan be better than a bigger oil cooler?

When I had my 440EX years ago I installed one of the 4 stroke tech oil coolers like this one:

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=191530&orsrcfath=atvriders

It seemed to do the trick at the time.

ben_400ex
08-05-2008, 06:06 PM
off road maniac... i cant seem to get the link to work? would you be able to give me some more info on the four stroke tech kit you used? I'd like to do mine the same way these were done but i cant find any info on exactly where the oil lines were fitted into the engine.
any info you could give me would be great
cheers

450Rchaser
08-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Someone makes an oversized oil tank for the 400 to help w/ the cooling of the oil.

blaaze416
08-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by REPOMAN
i also took some small fuel hose and wrapped the edge of the fan to protect the cooler and the fan from each other
I ended up using some rubberzied oil lines i had in the ol tool chest instead of the fue lines you had there, REPOMAN. They were a bit fried by the time I got to them. So far so good though! IT really does move that air!! Keeps mine cooler anyhow. ( I just richened her up a bit too though)

Btw, hooking this up was simple. I guess you just have to be logical and know a little bit about the flow of electricity. Use a toggle switch to turn it on and off....best way for sure, that way you can keep it on when the moter is off for a minute or two.

Instead of the large aluminum straps shown in the picture, maybe use two wire type tethers to wrap around the cooler and minimize obstrucion of air.

I'd put up some pics, but when I start doing this stuff, I really don't think about taking pictures.....sorry. Beside, I'm comupter-stoopid.

Wheelie
08-05-2008, 08:39 PM
I've left my fan on several times with the quad shut off, and yet to have a battery go dead. Granted I'm running a 'Busa' battery, and I left the fan on for only 5-7 minutes. It's a great mod, moves alot of air, not to mention the ability of extra cooling on demand. Dollar for dollar, the best $$ I've spent on my quad yet.

Here are a couple pics of my setup.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/Theyak777/DSCF0229.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/Theyak777/DSCF0230.jpg

Allison55ex'er
08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
is it possible to get it to cool im thinking about doing alot to cool mine down can u do too much? im sick of losing power when it gets really hot:)

Wheelie
08-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Yes, it is possible to get the OIL too cool. I, too, got tired of heat fade. This fan darn near eliminated head fade. It not only helps the oil cooler do its job, it also moves air over the cylinder head of the engine helping it stay cooler as well.

hypersnyper6947
08-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Nice pics wheelie, i really like how you mounted that almost looks stock. Can you post a pick of your wiring, toggle in all. Did you do the wiring your self if so how, and how hard was it. I rebuilt my top end but im not that savvy with electrical. At least not yet, i had never even been in a motor before my rebuild and i got that done with no problem. I hae a clymers manual i dont know how much that will help though. I do install car stereo systems amps subs etc... i dont know if that knowledge will help me with this application though.

Wheelie
08-06-2008, 08:03 AM
If you can wire a stereo you should have no problem wiring this fan. It only takes two wires, power and ground. I used a simple toggle switch rated for 15 amps, the fan pulls 1.9 amps. I wired it myself, it was very easy. More time was spent debating where to drill a hole in my new Maiers than was spent wiring the fan.

yellow416ex
08-06-2008, 08:45 AM
did you guys just run a wire from the battery for power to the switch? or tap in to something closer to the front of the bike?

blaaze416
08-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
More time was spent debating where to drill a hole in my new Maiers than was spent wiring the fan.

I had the same dilema!! My plastics were good and scratched up already.......easy decision!

I tapped right into the ignitions power wire. Form there to the toggle, then to the fan. Then just groung the fan on a green (ground) wire, or somewhere on the frame. Took about three beers time....and I can drink!

hypersnyper6947
08-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I have a dirtbike kill switch for a starter and no key or anything. Where would i tap in for power? Also where you get the toggle?

blaaze416
08-06-2008, 03:14 PM
You could tap into anything that has power going to it, i think. Lights? or just follow your fuse box and find a live wire coming from it. Do you have a volt meter or ohm meter? If not, mount you fan, then attach the wires to your fan without hooking the wires to the quad. Then go ahead and ground the fan. At this point you want to make sure you have an inline fuse or a fuse protected toggle installed in the power line to your fan. Now just start touching wires on you quad where you think there should be power with your positive lead to your fan. Make sure the toggle is set to on, and when your fan comes on, you are golden! Just run your wires from there. I'm sure this sounds really back hills and all, but it never failed me before I got my ohm meter. By the way, the fan will scare you the first time you try this and it fires up....it's a strong fan and some what loud!! Go ahead and shoot this down anyone if there is a more simple way without a meter of some sort. Hope this helps....

oh yeah, toggles can be had anywhere. Go to an auto store, sears, freight harbour tools, radio shack....

bjg696
08-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Did you have to do any shaving on the gas tank shield any?

AZ440ex
08-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Nice instal Wheelie. I think I will copy yours.:cool:

blaaze416
08-06-2008, 03:47 PM
When I did the install, i forgot I read somehwere you needed to do that, and I forgot. It's a bit tight, and the fan sits low on the cooler. When i go back down to the shield, I'll shave it a bit. I think it's a good idea.

Wheelie
08-06-2008, 08:06 PM
I did have to shave the gas tank shield to clear the fan, not a big deal. Test fit and shave it a couple times and you're good to go.

AZ440ex--Thanks for the compliment. It took awhile to get it setup the way I wanted, the final product was worth it.

hypersnyper6947
08-06-2008, 09:45 PM
I dont think i have a gas tank shield???

Off-Road Maniac
08-07-2008, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by ben_400ex
off road maniac... i cant seem to get the link to work? would you be able to give me some more info on the four stroke tech kit you used? I'd like to do mine the same way these were done but i cant find any info on exactly where the oil lines were fitted into the engine.
any info you could give me would be great
cheers

sorry about the typo. I fixed the link. It doesn't have alot of details but a few pics.

hypersnyper6947
08-09-2008, 02:10 AM
for those who have done this install all ready

I just bought my fan, did you guys just cut off the little harness on the wires?

By the way got it on ebay $62 shipped.

bjg696
08-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I got mine on ebay also and paid $36 shipped. got a heck of a deal.

drew416ex
08-09-2008, 03:54 PM
I got mine on ebay also and paid $36 shipped. got a heck of a deal.

who did you get it from? Is it a puller or pusher?

bjg696
08-09-2008, 07:03 PM
The faqn is either a push or pull. All you got to do is reverse the polarity. But just type in spal 4" fan and it was the first to pop up. Its 29.99 plus shipping. A better deal than i ever seen on them. But the fan pulls better than it does pushing.

hypersnyper6947
08-09-2008, 08:59 PM
I saw that one on there but it said it was a push only so i didnt buy it. Hopefully switching the polarity works for you if so thats a great deal.

bjg696
08-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Yea i know, i saw how much the others were so i had to get it..Im going to start installn it today so well see how it goes....:D

rideracelivemx7
08-11-2008, 03:41 PM
thoughs of you who wish to instal the fan, and need a wire that hooks up to the ignition with out a secondary switch, theres a black wire on the regulator behind the battery, just splice into it, it was the only wire i found that shuts of woth the ignition, all the other wires were hot regarless of key position. i did 2 small 3 inch fans just to keep the heat down on my bike a few weeks back. there not fully weather proof, but i was just messing with the idea, they work pretty well id say.

blaaze416
08-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by rideracelivemx7
thoughs of you who wish to instal the fan, and need a wire that hooks up to the ignition with out a secondary switch, theres a black wire on the regulator behind the battery, just splice into it, it was the only wire i found that shuts of woth the ignition, all the other wires were hot regarless of key position.

Now thats good to know....after I cut a hole for the toggle....:rolleyes: . No really, I wouldn't go back. It's a kind of tattoo or something. It gives the bike a little character. It's got a red 'top gun' style red guard that flips down over the actual toggle (nice touch repo...). Looks good on the black plastic. Plus I don't have to run the fan all time.

08-11-2008, 08:56 PM
when people say the oil can be too cool on a 400ex... how? You cant get the oil any cooler than it is after just starting it and having it idle steady for a minute. I just dont see how it would be possible on it to get the oil too cool unless you have the oil cooler or lines run through ice or something like that. Idk maybe in cold climates its possible but When i ride its normally not colder than 70 and its sometimes as hot as 100 or so.

bjg696
08-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Well i got my fan mounted, and it runs a lil cooler but not to much. Id say it helps for the money. I just run mine to the switch and it works just fine. Everything has to have a stable ground. The switch has one, on a 05 its the green wire, idk bout any earlier models. But it works fine that way. Instead of cutting holes all in your plastics.......:D

TRX_450
08-26-2008, 04:32 PM
do you want the fan to push or pull?

bjg696
08-26-2008, 08:32 PM
You want the fan to pull...More rpm to pull than it is to push....

monkeyballs
08-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Yea i think im gon get me one. Do you run the fan the whole time you are riding it or just when you are at slow speeds? So what is the answer?

bjg696
08-28-2008, 06:52 AM
You want the fan to pull to the motor!!!!

hypersnyper6947
08-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by monkeyballs
So what is the answer?

I noticed he didnt answer u, you can run it all the time or just when you are going through slow trails, or at idle. U put it on a switch so its up to you. I think i will just run mine when going through slow trails and idle after riding. No point when your going fast.

bjg696
08-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Sorry monkeyballs i didnt see tha top part. But i run mine all the time, i just wired it to my key switch. That way i didnt have to cut any holes in my plastic. And works just fine that way.

hypersnyper6947
09-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Just finished my install, man that was easy, i hooked it up to a toggle switch so i can run it whenever i want. I did forget to install a fuse i wonder if thats a problem? It really does blow a lot of air.

monkeyballs
09-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Sorry monkeyballs i didnt see tha top part. But i run mine all the time, i just wired it to my key switch. That way i didnt have to cut any holes in my plastic. And works just fine that way.
Awsome ty. I have not boared my engin yet.. But when the time comes hehe lol. So what is your oppinion on boaring? Cuz next month im going 2 put in a stg 2 hot cam with a wisco 11:1 light weight wiesco piston. Stock boar. Also im wondering if I need heavy duty head studs? And if I need 2 replace the crank bearing, since I hear you should change it every time you do a engin mod since it will have a diffrent wear patturn. ty

09-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I saw a guy that had a genius idea. the oil cooler isnt really in the line for direct air its almost tucked under. i just whipped this up to show you the idea. same as a hood scoop but with stock plastics and in person it looks really cool

09-04-2008, 06:30 PM
photoshopped it black kinda came out crappy

Banshee_370
09-05-2008, 07:19 AM
i just mounted a 4" spal puller to my cooler. havnt ridden it yet but man this thing moves som air. i also hooked it up with a toggle switch with an led on it so i know when its on.....even though you can feel and hear the air moving!!

sc400ex_rider
09-05-2008, 08:53 AM
YES FoxHondaRider that first one looks good. i cant believe no one has made a kit to cut a hole and put a scoop on the front. i seen people take out there lights put 450r/250r hoods on but they never look just right. i cant hack mine up cause my plastic is too nice. i put a fan on mine with an automatic on/off temp switch mounted it works good. i will post pics if someone wants.

drew416ex
09-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
YES FoxHondaRider that first one looks good. i cant believe no one has made a kit to cut a hole and put a scoop on the front. i seen people take out there lights put 450r/250r hoods on but they never look just right. i cant hack mine up cause my plastic is too nice. i put a fan on mine with an automatic on/off temp switch mounted it works good. i will post pics if someone wants.

Post some pics. Where did youget the switch?

sc400ex_rider
09-06-2008, 11:15 AM
this is the temp switch its rated at 180*F I got this one out of an electric fan install kit for a car. the threaded part you push into the radiator fins. if you search the web im sure you can find one. or call any major auto electric fan company and tell them you need a 180*F thermoswitch.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011151.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011150.jpg
i had the sensor pushed into the oil cooler but it didnt work to well. by the time the oil/cooler and sensor got to 180F it was all ready too hot. so i mounted the sensor directly to the head with a good chunk of alluminum. see how i drilled a hole and have the round post going into the tab for maxx heat transfer. this system works really well mounted to the head. the fan will come on after about 5 min of riding (not WFO) and will go off after about 5 mins of being turned off. i was worried about it running to long and killing the battery. im sure this could be further tuned by the thickness of the mounting plate. (a thinner plate would prob cycle on/off faster).
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011153.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011158.jpg
this is the fan i used, i blew my rear shock so i didnt have $60 for a spal i got this one for $10 shipped from ebay. the specs are great 92MM x 38MM (3.75"x1.80") 111cfm 1.1 amp draw 5500 rpm ect. its not waterproof so i dreanched the insides with waterproofing sillicon spray. im not sure how long it will last. i did research on watercooled pc fans and alot of them are "enviromentily coated". i dont ride deep mud or water and after washing it i let it warm up and let the fan kick on for a minute. this fan throws alot of air at the motor and is not to loud. it fit very well with no hacking. this pic is compaired to a reg 80mmx20mm pc powersupply fan. it is very powerfull if you hook power up to it on the bench it WILL start to take off!! if it catches your finger while your trying to stop it, your finger will hurt for 2 hours. im going to mount the fan better than zip ties, this is just a prototype/proof of concept. TY
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011148.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011149.jpg
NEW DELL POWEREDGE SERVER FAN 92mm 38mm VA350DC 110CFM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180169516760&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

hypersnyper6947
09-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Nice install, its a little to high tech for me, i just flick the toggle when i want it on and flick it off when i want it off. I mounted my toggle on the left side under the plastics. i will post some pics soon i have to figure that photobucket thing out first.

400exrider13
10-30-2008, 07:07 AM
wheelie how where did you get your mounts for the fan. or how did you make them i want some just like that.

Wheelie
10-30-2008, 08:18 AM
I fabricated them myself. It took some time but the end product was worth it.

hypersnyper6947
10-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I just used zip ties, i know its a little ghetto but it holds good and the zip ties dont block any air.

Homerx
03-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
this is the temp switch its rated at 180*F I got this one out of an electric fan install kit for a car. the threaded part you push into the radiator fins. if you search the web im sure you can find one. or call any major auto electric fan company and tell them you need a 180*F thermoswitch.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011151.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011150.jpg
i had the sensor pushed into the oil cooler but it didnt work to well. by the time the oil/cooler and sensor got to 180F it was all ready too hot. so i mounted the sensor directly to the head with a good chunk of alluminum. see how i drilled a hole and have the round post going into the tab for maxx heat transfer. this system works really well mounted to the head. the fan will come on after about 5 min of riding (not WFO) and will go off after about 5 mins of being turned off. i was worried about it running to long and killing the battery. im sure this could be further tuned by the thickness of the mounting plate. (a thinner plate would prob cycle on/off faster).
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011153.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011158.jpg
this is the fan i used, i blew my rear shock so i didnt have $60 for a spal i got this one for $10 shipped from ebay. the specs are great 92MM x 38MM (3.75"x1.80") 111cfm 1.1 amp draw 5500 rpm ect. its not waterproof so i dreanched the insides with waterproofing sillicon spray. im not sure how long it will last. i did research on watercooled pc fans and alot of them are "enviromentily coated". i dont ride deep mud or water and after washing it i let it warm up and let the fan kick on for a minute. this fan throws alot of air at the motor and is not to loud. it fit very well with no hacking. this pic is compaired to a reg 80mmx20mm pc powersupply fan. it is very powerfull if you hook power up to it on the bench it WILL start to take off!! if it catches your finger while your trying to stop it, your finger will hurt for 2 hours. im going to mount the fan better than zip ties, this is just a prototype/proof of concept. TY
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011148.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011149.jpg
NEW DELL POWEREDGE SERVER FAN 92mm 38mm VA350DC 110CFM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180169516760&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

Is the PC fan still alive ? thx

sc400ex_rider
03-18-2009, 07:21 AM
yes sir, went riding 2 weeks ago.........

Young_Gun1
03-18-2009, 07:03 PM
did you go through any water though

sc400ex_rider
03-19-2009, 05:03 AM
HA HA YES, funny story i was going down the trail doing about 20 and i was looking at something floating down the creek. well when i looked back ahead i was about 2 feet from a 4x4 truck mud hole. all i could do was grip tight and hit it. i had the water splash up and over me. me and the quad were completely drenched, i was about to go home cause it was a little cold out but after about 10 minutes my shirt was dry so i just kept on riding. the fan has held up good. i dont really mud bog it i did that with my 350 warrior in 90's and f'ed it all up. the mud really eats up your brake pads and sprockets and bearings. i clean my quad real good after every ride so it does get wet. but i dont just stand there and squirt water up into it. for $10 this fan has already paid for itself because my motor is so built you couldnt barley ride it after 30 minutes. so i was about to get rid of it.

krt400ex
03-19-2009, 08:26 AM
I have heard great things about them too. I dont believe it will be hard to mount. But my question is if i do leave the fan running while the atv is off, will it kill the battery? B/c if you leave the light for 10 min the battery is dead.

i wouldnt think it would use as much juice as the headlight. but i left my headlight on for two hours once and the quad started right up. the light was even dull cuz it was on so long...and it still turned over

krt400ex
03-19-2009, 08:27 AM
**EDIT** it wouldnt use as much juice**

sc400ex_rider
03-19-2009, 10:18 AM
i think letting the fan run after you been riding is when it helps the most. the way the gas tank side pieces are it almost creates a little pocket under the tank. my fan runs for about 5 mins after i ride it and when it goes off you can touch any thing and its not hot. the fan cools the oil cooler and the head.

to find wattage just multiply your volts by amps. my fan draws 1.1 amp at 12 volts so 1.1 (amps)times 12 (volts) is 13.2 watts. that is pretty low.

the headlights i "THINK" are 35 watts a piece so 35 x 2 is 70 watts. thats a lot more than the 13.2 watts for the fan. to find the amps just divide the watts by the voltage. so 70 (watts)รท12 (volts) is 5.83 amps. so the fan could run a long time without killing the battery but it will eventually. the 70 watts is for 99-04 im not even sure if the 05 and up have two headlight bulbs.

racer 557
06-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
i want to do the spal fan, i am wondering how hard the install is though, i have heard good results about it though.

i have 1 and i didnt notice a temp diffrence motor seems same to me

Ryan'07400ex
06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Do you think a stock engine (besides sparks key) would need this SPAL fan?
I am gonna rejet soon and it looks like you need to take the plastic off for this as well so might as well do both.

racer 557
06-07-2009, 09:21 PM
well depends on what kind of riding you do me when i put fan on i put a new maier hood with scoop in it and air scoops to help cool the motor down and switch oil honda oil smokes to much for my liking

hypersnyper6947
06-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by racer 557

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have 1 and i didnt notice a temp diffrence motor seems same to me

dude i posted that 10 months ago, i have had the fan for 9 months now,

Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex
Do you think a stock engine (besides sparks key) would need this SPAL fan?
I am gonna rejet soon and it looks like you need to take the plastic off for this as well so might as well do both.

The sparks key will give you some extra heat, it depends on what type of riding you do. If you do fast riding then your fine b/c there is enough air to keep your motor cool, but if you do slower type riding where there is no wind or anyting providing air to cool your motor then a fan is a good idea. I like having the fan alot, i dont quite need it as much now with the 416 compared to the 440 i had but during the summer its nice to just be able to flick it on and keep your temps down a bit.

Also if you use a nice sythetic oil it may help (i use mobile 1 extended performance 15w50), but the scoops are mainly for show.

racer 557
06-08-2009, 10:18 PM
thats oil i use and scoops are for higher speeds than like trail riding thwy work good in the feild i have and the drag strip where i ride