PDA

View Full Version : how difficult is it to install hotcam in 400ex

fiveohoss
08-04-2008, 03:32 PM
i'm just wondering how hard it is to install a stage II hotcam in my '03 400ex. i consider myself somewhat mechanically incline and always up to a challenge. any do-it-yourself pics, videos, tutorials, etc. would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

drew416ex
08-04-2008, 03:42 PM
It isnt hard at all. A manual would help you go a long way though. Not always to show you how, but for the torque specs and stuff like that. I dont have any pics or videos though.

fiveohoss
08-04-2008, 06:18 PM
i'm definately going to buy a manual...are there any special tools i will need for the cam swap? i'm just looking for someone that has put a hotcam in themselves and some advice or their opinion of the difficulty of this job. also how long it will take?

Honda#4
08-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Its pretty easy, make sure you have a peice of wire to hold the cam chain from falling down into the motor, and be sure to locktite the cam sprocket bolts. A clymer manual will the best help.

I have a thread "operation 416" that should have plenty of pics for you.

rideracelivemx7
08-04-2008, 10:16 PM
fairly easy. put the cam in a spot where youd like it, lobes up or down. preferably line up the lines on the cam sprocket parallel with the block. you willsee them once you get the head cover off. loosen the cam chain tensioner and take it off. loosen the cam bolts. and slid the cam sproket off. and the cam itself pops right out, its really easy. but all afermarket cams dont use the decompression mechanism. so you have to take the dowlpin and spring out. if your looking at it from the top, the pin is on the left, right under where the stock decompression mechanism is on the stock cam. a peice of wire and some patience willdo it lol. actually, before you loosen everything up, loosen up thecam bolts first. there a pain when you've loosend up everything.

dariusld
08-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Replace the cam sprocket bolts with brand new ones. I would set the timing to TDC before I start and make sure its set when everything is back together. Setting the cam timing is not hard, after you have done it 3 or 4 times;) Piston at top dead center and set the marks on the cam gear with the cylinder head. 3 marks on the gear, one goes up and 2 are paralel(spell check) with the head. Don't move the cam chain, when the cam is out, and it will be easier. This part is easy to mess up. Sorry for the unorganized thought patterns. Just added info to go along with the others.

fiveohoss
08-06-2008, 04:42 PM
cool...thanks guys. that's what i was looking for, i'll let ya know how it goes because i'm sure i'll have some questions half way through this project lol