View Full Version : rim blowout

somewon
08-04-2008, 11:28 AM
I was out at finger lakes in Columbia MO this weekend and While I was playing around on the track I noticed my right rear tire went flat. I pulled it off and on the inside of the bell about where the nuckle of the lower A-arm sits I had a nice 1/4" hole in the rim.

Has anyone else had something similar happen to the stock wheels?

None of the local dealers had any rims that would work as a replacement, so I rode the rest of the day with a dead flat. BTW, it rode OK but the rear end was sliding around so much I thought I had to do some serious work on the handle bars.

Should I try to get a new factory rim and salvage the tire, or just switch to some 10" rims and avoid the problem entirely?

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

-Adam

willb
08-04-2008, 12:15 PM
First: DO youhave any idea what caused the hole?

Second: If it is only a 1/4 inch hole, take it to a welding shop and get it tig'd. Proobably charge you 15 to 20 bucks but that is cheaper then 60 plus.

Third: Riding on a flat probably destroyed the tire. The side wall will be unstable and un reliable from this point out. I would be very carefule even if it held air.

My main question still is, What caused the hole? That is a very strange. I know that I have seen grooves carved into the rims from the nipples.

If it was from the grove slotting then: FIrst change your bushings because you have 2 much slop, then grind down the casting nipple and fix the rims and by some Maxxis Razr's

OutlawBill
08-04-2008, 12:41 PM
sounds like a rock got stuck in there and punch in a hole

somewon
08-04-2008, 03:16 PM
It definately looks like a rock. I'll look into the welding shop and see what they can do. I really doubt the tire would be any good, I have no idea how long I rode on it before I noticed. As soon as I saw the hole I though about the bushings but mine was lucky enough to have very little wiggle from the factory and hasn't changed at all.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p243/AbbyNix/Adams/2.jpg

racer99b
08-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I have had this happen three different times every time it happens to me it happens when i am riding in the creek in sand and rock. This is a very aggrivating problem and have not figured out the answer yet. I just try and be careful in the sand and rocks in the creeks or mudholes. Actually finger lakes is where i first discovered the problem.

somewon
08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to fabricate an inner mud guard to keep debris out.

So does anyone know where I can get a new Razr-R tire? I noticed that Rockymountain doesn't sell them.