PDA

View Full Version : Anybody who has tinted car windows please read this!!!

yfzrider45
08-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Has anybody ever got stopped for having tinted windows?? I'm not a speeder and i obey all signs becasue i dont want any tickets. Only thing is my exhuast is loud, BUT not loud enough to get noticed too much...... but do you think they will pull me over for 5% windows?? my state law is 35% but i see minivans and limo's with more!!

Chin_Chilla
08-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Depends on the cops in your area. Some cops can be *****es and pull you over for anything. But yea 5% is illegal so if you get pulled over don't start b!tching...

yfzrider45
08-04-2008, 09:07 AM
But i mean cops around here in MA arent too too bad with pulling over for no reason unless its late night, but i do keep my front windows open pretty much all the time unless i'm parked?? anyone else have any suggestions or comments??

derekhonda
08-04-2008, 09:45 AM
either go the legal limit or understand there is a possibility of getting a ticket. not a whole lot to suggest I don't think...

I do know here in my town when someone does get a ticket for tint. They have 2 options, peel it off and drive up to the courthouse to prove you got rid of it, or pay the ticket and stand the chance they could give you another one anytime they want.

450Rchaser
08-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I live in TN and have always had super dark windows. My lowrider s10 had 2.5% and a layer of 5% on the back and extra cab windows and fronts had 2.5% and a sunstrip of 2.5%. Got pulled over once. Peeled it off for court and slapped some more back on there the next weekend.

My jacked up Sierra has 5% over 20%. Havent had any trouble yet. Mite be cause there to busy stairing at the 24s.

<DRS>GPF
08-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by yfzrider45
Has anybody ever got stopped for having tinted windows?? I'm not a speeder and i obey all signs becasue i dont want any tickets. Only thing is my exhuast is loud, BUT not loud enough to get noticed too much...... but do you think they will pull me over for 5% windows?? my state law is 35% but i see minivans and limo's with more!!

if youre a "regular to your streets", so to speak, then as long as you dont get into trouble speeding or erratic driving(peeling out, slow-n-goes, fast corners, etc.) I wouldnt expect theyll do much to you at all.

yfzrider45
08-04-2008, 11:50 AM
24's :eek2:...finally someone thinking outside of the freagin box!! but yeah i dont wanna put rims on the jetta, it looks pretty sick as it is for some reason!!

i live in a fairly small town so yeah i'm a regular!! thanks for the input man!! and i dont like wrecking the car, maybe quick turns here and there since its stickshift, but other then that i'm slow!!

But another option is i can do the back window, and the rear windows, and leave the front windows, and the windshield alone!! But then again would you think that'd be ugly?? Idea's and Opinions will be greatly appreciated:macho

beaker1214
08-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by 450Rchaser
I live in TN and have always had super dark windows. My lowrider s10 had 2.5% and a layer of 5% on the back and extra cab windows and fronts had 2.5% and a sunstrip of 2.5%. Got pulled over once. Peeled it off for court and slapped some more back on there the next weekend.

My jacked up Sierra has 5% over 20%. Havent had any trouble yet. Mite be cause there to busy stairing at the 24s. I wanna see how the 24s look on the sierra post a pic if you can

onefast400ex
08-04-2008, 12:13 PM
I think it all depends on the cops in your area. The cops that patrol around my area don't get too busy and will pull you over for anything. There have been a few of my friends that got tickets for tinted windows. They notice every little thing around here. I got pulled over recently because the cop said my quad was bouncing up and down in the back of my bed. Really the quad was jammed tight in the back. I honestly think it all depends on your area and the mood of the cops.

yfzrider45
08-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Yea my area is pretty nice, like for instance my mom cut somebody off on accident at an intersection and it was her fault for not yielding (nobody got hit) and the police saw and they just came up to the car and smiled and then they said just keep an eye out for signs and that was it....so idk how they are with "kids" tho:ermm:

450Rchaser
08-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Here ya go....

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/sdime20s/sierra24s.jpg

I live in a REALLY small town. Graduated 8th grade w/ only 11 people in my class and like 140 kindergarten thru 8th.

yfzrider45
08-04-2008, 01:13 PM
thats off the hook:huh .....i'm gunna post a picture of my jetta in a week or so, i'm watiing on the GLI front lip and still debating on putting the window tint kit on!!!

But thats illl

450Rchaser
08-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks, when I had my CTS-V it had black interior so it made the tint it look darker. 35 on the front and 20 on the back.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/sdime20s/lambo1.jpg

tar
08-04-2008, 02:06 PM
I have loud exhaust and my windows are 5% and I havn't had any problems. My cousin has a rainbow strip across the top and bottom of his windshield and he got pulled over for having the bottom rainbow.

dpizz450
08-04-2008, 02:40 PM
It all depends on how lax the cops in your area are. State police are cracking down bad on it around here. I got a ticket about a month ago. My windows registered .01% on the tint meter. He gave me a ticket. But i've had the tint for almost a year and never got pulled over, i just always rolled my windows down if i was next to a cop or something. But when i got my ticket i was pulled over for speeding and then he saw my windows. It all depends on the cops in your area. Worst that's gonna happen is he gives you a ticket and you have to take the tint off, or he gives you a ticket and rips the tint off with a razor blade himself. Good luck.

fastredrider44
08-04-2008, 02:55 PM
20 percent is a happy medium. Dark enough to look dark, but light enough that some cops will let it slide. My ex had a jetta with 20%, no probs.

My s-10, the windows are black. I can see out, but you cant see in. Never had a problem from them yet, but my front windows stay down most of the time.

rollie
08-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Hey, i live a few towns over from you in North Attleboro, i go to middleboro pretty often too, my trucks loud, and i have 15% tint, as long as your respect the roads you'll be fine, but be nice to cops, let them go and stuff, because then know they can get you for your windows for $250, i wouldnt go 5% though, that may be asking for trouble, my 15% you cant see in unless the suns on the window, dark enough for me! haha

TCracin440ex
08-04-2008, 03:02 PM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z254/OneBaddAssZ71/031.jpg

2.5% on my chevy, been pulled over for it a few times, i just take a ball of tint with me to court that i "pulled" off my windows and show the judge, get the fine throwed out and continue on with my life

EDIT: plus i got a banner thats a lil under half way down my front windshield as you can see in the pic

yzrida65
08-04-2008, 03:27 PM
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/HOOPSICK1120/marklt.jpg

getting tint soon. either dark black or chrome. havent decided. suggestions? ( i dont mean to take over your thread. if you want, i can start a new one. just say so)

yfzrider45
08-04-2008, 03:30 PM
ROLLIE, your 15% should be the same as 5% during the night!! so i kno i'll be all set during tho's hours....does anyone have advise how to install it?? i have the kit its made by 3M wich is heavy doooty:p lol.....but any advise would be great!! i have directions but maybe someone has an easier way!!

yfzrider45
08-04-2008, 03:33 PM
dont worry about it its 100% fine!!!, but i think the all black tint would look better, the whole trucks pretty much chromed out:eek2: !!! sick truck dude!!

yzrida65
08-04-2008, 03:33 PM
get it sprayed on. it's one of the " best " methods.

yzrida65
08-04-2008, 03:34 PM
haha. thanks. and they are only 24's. im possibly looking into 26's soon.

450Rchaser
08-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by yzrida65
haha. thanks. and they are only 24's. im possibly looking into 26's soon.

I want 26s on mine but no one makes an all terrain tire. I got a 6" fabtech suspension lift w/ a 2" ready lift leveling kit. I gotta have some meat on my rims.

As far as tinting method. Its pretty easy. Make sure the windows arent blazing hot. Squirt bottle of warm soapy water and a tinting razor blade. hekind that extends and breals off in pieces. Theres diff. methods for cutting. Figure out what works best for you. i always used a drivers license or credit card w/ a smooth edge. Not knicks or it will rip the tint and make you mad. Peel the clear film off and go to it.

yfzrider45
08-04-2008, 04:03 PM
yea i got one of the rubber type trowel things from the tint company.....but what kind of soap? like bar soap?

MX300ex
08-04-2008, 05:57 PM
in NY its 30% and i have 20%...thats dark as hell imo and 5% i would say is pushing... 20 they wont bother you to bad but 5 they cant even see in your vehicle at all

wykyd450R
08-04-2008, 07:08 PM
I got pulled over quite a few times for having dark windows. Always had to remove it, and take it to an inspection station and get a paper signed. I understand the reason they do it tho. Its for the officers safety. They want to be able to see inside of the vehicle so he/she can see whats happening as he approaches the drivers window. With real dark tint, the driver or passenger could be pulling a gun, etc.

yfzrider45
08-04-2008, 07:44 PM
yeah i understand that, if i was a cop i'd like to see lol!! but i'll keep my front windows open during the warm weather and during the winter my car cant be driven:) too low!!

450Rchaser
08-04-2008, 08:43 PM
liquid soap. like dawn or something. the soapy water makes it so you can slide the tint around to get it in place. if its your 1st time your gonna get really frustrated. The cut wont be perfect, bubbles that wont come out, and probably a few other headaches. If your doing 2 windows that are the same the 2nd one will always come out better.

Ryan
08-05-2008, 11:00 AM
If your tints are close to the 20-30%, and a cop stops you, just tell him you bought the car from the dealership with the tints, and they said it was legal... We got out of a couple tickets like that. Usually their test is done with a flashlight and their hand, unless they use the real tester.

When it comes to road blocks, or just getting pulled over.... Roll down the 2 front windows.

I understand why tints are illegal.... But at the same time, its really a stupid law. Usually you never get bothered about it..... Depending on what your doing and what your driving.

Moto49X
08-05-2008, 01:38 PM
State law here is no tints on the front windows. I had 5% on my old truck, all around, and yes, I did get a ticket for them. Oh well, i'm still going to get them on my new truck also.

Wills77
08-05-2008, 01:51 PM
not sure what % mine are but at night i can barely see out of them and definetely no seeing in them

450Rchaser
08-05-2008, 02:57 PM
It looks like about 20%. You can still see the grass thru your passenger side windwow. My tint you can only see my hand on the steering wheel thru the front window no matter how sunny it is outside.