PDA

View Full Version : Feel like a retard for posting this, but...

MtnEX
08-04-2008, 01:00 AM
So far, I had been lets say... under-impressed with my 400EX and mods.

I hadn't ridden it in a little bit... like two weeks, and before the ride I did a couple of things... and it really seems like the bike is really starting to wake up now... and I'm struggling a bit to understand it.

Pre-ride here's all I did....

I feel like a total retard for posting this... all I did was adjust out my loose chain and do an oil and filter change... which does and don't make sense... which is why I feel like a retard for posting it.

The only thing I can think of is this... the previous owner took it to the shop for an oil/filter change. I found the bike to be pretty over-full with oil... with pretty darn thin oil. It was blowing by and I was getting some oil smoke too.

I figured surely the guy had been had by the shop. I drained that thin thin oil, and when I pulled the filter, sure enough. I think what they did was drain the oil tank and feed in 2 quarts of cheap thin oil... making it well over-full. You could tell the filter had been in there much longer than this fresh oil.

I popped in a Wix filter and Mobil 1 V-twin 20w50.

Afterwards I took it out for a ride and it sure pulled a ton better than it did on the warm up ride for the oil change.

So can this really be possible or am I a retard?

After reading some of the dyno posts here, next up is a fresh plug for a plug reading and fine tuning of the jetting if it needs it... though I'm not confident I can get the results the dyno guys are producing for the members here.

But I figure it's worth looking into, and maybe the 6 degree timing advance is too?????

MtnEX
08-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Well, I let my friend ride it again just to see if I was loosing my mind.... and I'm not.... it is pulling a lot stronger.

Only thing I can figure is that being over full with oil was creating a lot of resistance under the piston maybe???

I guess it could have also been automotive oil too, and the clutch could have been slipping a little that I didn't notice since that oil was in there when I bought it.