PDA

View Full Version : Stock A-arms vs. After market A-arms for LTR?

Keystone_Rider
08-03-2008, 11:01 PM
I have a 2008 LTR 450 and I'm noticing that one of the mods pro's and amatuers do to the quad is replace the stock A-arms to an aftermarket one. I plan on getting Fox Evols and wondering if I should get the aftermarket A-arms. Is there a difference between the stock and aftermarket A-arms besides the ability to make more adjustment such as the camber and castor? I hear about shocks being "long travel", can anyone explain this to me and if it is a positive plus to have long travel? I'm starting to wonder if that the long travel shocks are for specialized aftermarket A-arms only and that it offers more travel to keep it from bottoming out, right?
I'm mechanically inclined and a wrench nut, but I was out of the Dirt bike/Quads circuit for over 10 years and I just got back into it. There is so much technology advancement available now in aftermarket parts and I'm in over my head with deciding where to start. I don't want to order the shocks until i know what is the deal with the aftermarket A-arms. I don't want to buy the wrong stuff or "should have gotten......" and waste money from my mistakes. Any insight on this is truly appreciated.

QUADSQUAD7
08-03-2008, 11:37 PM
what style riding are you planning on? What are your future expectations for your ltr?

Keystone_Rider
08-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Quadsquad, I'll be doing Mostly Mx with some trail riding. I know the suzuki is pretty wide to be doing trail, but it's not competition. I ride the trials for fun and have no problem with the width of my quad. Plenty of room. But on the MX track, i have the courage for doubles and triples but I currently bottom out with the stock shocks. That is why I'm going with Fox Evols. I need to know more about the difference between stock and aftermarket A-arms before i order my shocks. Thanks

Keystone_Rider
08-03-2008, 11:50 PM
My future expectations for my LTR is to mod it to the point where I'm happy with the handling, suspension, power and looks. This bike will be going through a major overhaul over the winter. But I'm going ahead with some changes before the cold comes.

QUADSQUAD7
08-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Well first off, welcome. You are heading in the right direction with the fox evols. They are by far better than any spring rate shock on the market. I have a set on my ltr with JB long travel a-arms, the same setup team suzuki is running. If your bottoming out then you need a set of shocks that are valved for you but, the a-arms are not going to help from bottoming. The ltr does have a wide stance but is just under the legal 50" mx width. Using the stock arms you can get to 50" using 3+2 offset wheels. The disadvantage will be the heavy steering capabilities. The aftermarket companies make a (+.5 each side) a-arms allowing the use of 4+1 wheels, stock, that will make for better handling. Long travel is a whole new meaning today with long travel maximum ground clearance, just long travel, ones with camber and caster adjustment etc... If your not planning on running mx alot or competing in the nationals the stock arms and fox shox will be an excellent choice. If money is no factor then I recommend going with a long travel-MGC set of arms. These will give you more travel for bigger jumps, stability over rougher terrain and allow you to ride the trails without sticking your front end in a rut or catching a stump or rock in the middle of the trail.

Here is a list of a-arm companies that I would recommend for the LTR. If you havn't checked it out yet go to LTR450 hq dot com and you will be able to become very familiar with your new ride.
JB Racing
Walsh Racecraft
Houser Racing
Lonestar Racing
ATV Four Play

QUADSQUAD7
08-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Here is a look at my JB Longtravel MGC a-arms and fox shox.

Keystone_Rider
08-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Quadsquad, Thanks for all the information you gave me, it was very helpful and I'm starting to understand what long travel is all about. Your set up looks nice. How much are the JB Racing-long travel-MGC set of arms going for now? If I was going to go with this set up, is the stock front rims ok or will I be dealing with heavy steering capability with them? What size A-arms would you recommend since i do both MX and trail? I sent you a PM by the way.

QUADSQUAD7
08-04-2008, 01:50 AM
For you Keystone I would recommend the JB LT MGC arms or the ATV Four Play LT MGC arms for your mx and trail riding. As far as the stock rims, if you leave them on your stock arms then your going to have great steering capabilities. If you deside to go with aftermarket arms the stock rims will be just as good. Anytime you get an offset fr. wheel that puts the wheels farther outward your steering will want to push in corners and have more bump steer.
I know JB racing has the arms listed on their website for $960 but you would want the non ajustable uppers which are $75 cheaper. You could probably find a set used from someone that is in real good shape. I know my buddy who is a pro mxer for ATV Four Play is selling a set of MGC LT arms and Fox shox and they are in great shape. If your going to be competitive on a mx track or really like to rip in corners etc... I recommend going with a set of +1 arms that are only a half inch wider on each side.
Make sure you are one hundred percent sure what you want when you get your suspension because if you get a set of shocks for the stock arms and deside later you want to go LT then new shocks would need purchased due to length and valving. Most importantly when you make your decision get a rear shock as well. The shock companies today setup their shocks and test them to work with the rear shock. I had the rear fox shock and didn't like its feel. I would recommend a revalve and respring from TCS Suspension on your stock rear shock. That is what I have and love it. You will save alot of money and in my opinion have a better shock. If you look at the rear shock of any aftermarket company the shock shaft is 5/8" diam. The stock LTR shock is bigger at 3/4". The best shocks are fully adj. with high and low speed settings, and the stock LTR shock already has this. Glad to help anytime, I'm sitting at home for the next 6 months from an accident with nothing but time on my hands.

QUADSQUAD7
08-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Keystone, I messaged you.

Keystone_Rider
08-04-2008, 03:08 AM
Quadsquad, I understand everything you are saying, it's all coming together now. I'll let you know if I'm interested in your buddy's A-arms and fox shox. That sounds like a good idea to just have the rear shock revalved and respringed. What happened where you are laid up for 6 months? Quad accident? Get well soon.

Warnerade
08-04-2008, 11:41 PM
IMO the rear fox shock works great. The first ones sucked, but since fox has fixed the problem. Its possible you may have gotten a lemon also. Mine blows away my elka rear shock on my practice bike, and it hooks up more than anything i've riden before.