PDA

View Full Version : guys with 06's and up what are your DISLIKES?

honda300EXtreme
08-03-2008, 10:01 PM
well within a year ill be in the market for a new quad, and im honda loyal so it would make sense i buy the 450r, plus the ktm is 10,000+ :p

i will be buying a new one, 2008, and i was wondering for those of you who have the 06's and newer what are your general dislikes with this machine?

ive worked on enough of them, and rode quite a few but dont have hours of seat time on them like you guys

so give me your opinions on it. the good the bad, ,what ever, im set on a 450r so no point in steering me in another direction

thanks guys

stoopidbot
08-03-2008, 10:21 PM
The only thing I don't like is the stock shocks, I can't afford to do anything about it at the moment. I have an 07

honda300EXtreme
08-03-2008, 10:37 PM
yea they seem stiff to me, how about any starter issues or anything

thanks man

blacknblue#2
08-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Ive got a modded 07, never had any starter issues since Dec. of 06. It did have the starter gear recall but that will be fixed already on your 08 of course. I just give mine 3 pumps of the throttle before i hit the starter and usually its runnin within just a couple seconds.

08-04-2008, 06:35 AM
where do i start...

like mentioned, the shocks...i had to spend lots of money to get the handling and feel to where my 400ex was...that includes different bars(even though i was running 450r bars on my ex)

the damn thing was hard to start after it was warm. even after valve and decompression lever adjustments, it wasn't like the 400ex was after it was warm. although it cold started better.

too high strung. it need to run in a higher rpm range. that is great if you are running balls out the whole time, but on some of the tight trails and with the other machines that i ride with, that is not an option. there was too much clutch work involved for me. it was more like doing work than having fun. an exhaust, , air filter, and the hrc cam improved upon this problem, but didn't eliminate it.

too much maintenance. i don't mind doing preventative maintenance, but the maintenance between rides was repairs for things that should not have gone wrong. don't even ask me to list any of it...i have gotten rid of the headache and want to forget all the little contributing factors to it. anyway, i was working on it more than i was riding it.

the batteries were horrible even though i kept them on a maintenance charger.

good luck with your future purchase, i hope you have better luck than me with yours. all i can say is it was the biggest, most costly mistake i made when it comes to atv's. i am glad i am back on a 400ex.

stoopidbot
08-04-2008, 08:24 AM
I think he just got a bad apple. I change my oil and filter every 3 rides, clean the air filter every other ride. I have not had ANY down time due to a machine that wasn't running. I have not had a single problem with mine. I've been riding it hard every weekend April through October. Too cold the rest of the time. I bought it in 07, I've owned it just over a year.

08-04-2008, 08:35 AM
lets just say that my friend bought one a few months more than me and he had the same problems...

the down time was more trying to get it to start better...i hated sitting on the trail for 5 or ten minutes waiting for the pos to start while every one was miles away...

of course there was the starter recall that my dealer had the bike for what they said was going to be a week, but ended up being 2 because they had to get more recalled parts in. the ones they had had to go to the new bikes waiting for sale...

i am not the only one with these problems...do some searching, you'll see there are many of us

stoopidbot
08-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Well, maybe I got lucky and found a good one. I have to hold my start button for MAYBE 2 seconds at worst.

Alpine47
08-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Just picked up my 07 and the only issue I have with mine are the slow starts which I don't mind at all and a reverse option would be nice.

~ Vik

IMSROLL450R
08-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
lets just say that my friend bought one a few months more than me and he had the same problems...

the down time was more trying to get it to start better...i hated sitting on the trail for 5 or ten minutes waiting for the pos to start while every one was miles away...

of course there was the starter recall that my dealer had the bike for what they said was going to be a week, but ended up being 2 because they had to get more recalled parts in. the ones they had had to go to the new bikes waiting for sale...

i am not the only one with these problems...do some searching, you'll see there are many of us

I haven't had any of those problems since I started maintaining mine properly. The only thing I don't like is the weak subfame. If you do much jumping or bounce off the seat very hard you will shear the top subframe bolts like I have several times. I also broke the subframe this weekend. Get the R dude you will love it if you take care of it. The fun of the ride far out weighs the maintenance cost and time.

Honda5
08-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Sounds like you should get a kick start I a 04' with 13.5:1 and a 05' 15:1 ported, cams, exhaust...... they start fine and I don't use a hotstart

08-04-2008, 10:24 AM
i was maintaining mine properly...it seems like i changed the oil in it more times in the 2 years that i owned it than i had in the 6 years i had the 400ex...no more than 2 rides between changes(about 3 hours of actual run time per ride)...got rid of it with less than 75 hours on it...

i shouldn't have to adjust the valves every 10 hours of ride time just to keep the damn thing starting when it is warm.

i am usually pretty good at jetting, but i had to pay someone to jet the stupid thing...

i knew it was an omen when i had a dead battery as soon as i dropped it off the truck from the dealership...oh yes, i bought it new...the battery was bad...it wasn't putting out enough volts...took that to the dealer the day after i bought it...they checked all 5 of the 450r batteries they had there...all of them were the same way...they gave me the best battery and i had to keep it on a maintenance charger.

i will say that the first 6 months were trouble free except for the starting issue...but then again i didn't really get to ride too much that first summer...

other issues i had was a clutch pack replacement and a new clutch cable.

the throttle was too stiff so i did the 400ex thumb throttle/tokyo mods spring upgrades.

but the big issue was trying to get it to start when it was HOT...i spent more time chasing that demon than anything else. like i said...it improved after the 2 or 3 times i had the valves adjusted and the decompression reset, but it still was not like my 400ex.

08-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
dude you will love it if you take care of it. The fun of the ride far out weighs the maintenance cost and time.

it depends on what type of riding you do...where i ride is tight and i usually let every one else go a head of me. i bring up the rear so i can get us back together in case the group gets separated. most of the time i was never out of first gear with it...that clutch work gets to be tiresome and makes the ride a lot less enjoyable. even when i would take the lead and run, i was not out of first for very long and there were a few spots that i could hit third for a few hundred yards, but then it was right back to first. when i first, you have to keep the rpms up or the damn bike will stall...a lot of the turns could not be taken at speed so there comes that clutch work in again...got tiresome real quick...

i am not telling him this to scare him away from buying one...this is just info i wish i had had before i had wasted 6700 on the bike and all the after market crap like the exhaust i am trying to sell...i took a loss on the bike to get rid of it...i got very little from the parts that i sold and i have had the exhaust and some a-arm guards sitting here for sale that i can't even get people to make offers to me on

spincr4hire
08-04-2008, 10:36 AM
I shouldn't have to adjust the valves every 10 hours of ride time just to keep the damn thing starting when it is warm.
main reason I got rid of mine. Stalled and left me sitting while watching my whole class and classes behind me pass as I'm trying to get it restarted:grr:

Honda5
08-04-2008, 10:40 AM
I agree with speedyquad the 400ex is more fun to play on around the yard and in the woods and just screwing around with your buddies. I'll never give up my 400ex. on the other hand I love my 450rs but they only see the track and they do require 10x the up keep.

represent618
08-04-2008, 10:44 AM
X2.

I have had no problems, mine starts right up as long as you keep your thumb off the throttle when it is hot.

I dont stall mine very often either, maybe I am just a "rider"?

I know that this is a wide spread complaint, just isn`t an issue for me personally....

Originally posted by stoopidbot
Well, maybe I got lucky and found a good one. I have to hold my start button for MAYBE 2 seconds at worst.

08-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by represent618

I dont stall mine very often either, maybe I am just a "rider"?

i AM a rider...i bet i have been riding longer than you have been alive...i have been on atv's for 27 years and the first clutch i ever ran on a bike was my dads brand new 1983 200x.

i don't stall it very often either, but sometimes it just happened...the guy in front of you would lolligag his ute over the log and you wouldn't be able to get the run at it you need to so you had to finess the clutch while going over it...be careful or it will stall on ya..happened a few times...then you are stuck there waiting for it to decide to start for ya...too much work and not enough fun...

honda300EXtreme
08-04-2008, 11:43 AM
thanks for all the replys guys i really do appreciate the in-put

maintance does not scare me, working on them goes with the terriotory and i find it fun. ya cant learn if you dont tear into em'

i have had a 400ex, sold it. got my 300. built it to the hills and loved it. but became a money pit so its being parted out,

im a woods rider but the trails are not too tight, and theres alot of open cruising, and some hills that are ment for 450's

this isnt my first rodeo. just looking at what i can expect. no quad is perfect. but out of the pack i prefer the honda

thanks again guys!

represent618
08-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Easy Trigger. I was just kidding. And for the record, I have been alive longer than you have been riding...

I have killed mine, fires right up, just doesn`t happen often. I don`t do alot of following though, usually in front.

i AM a rider...i bet i have been riding longer than you have been alive...i have been on atv's for 27 years and the first clutch i ever ran on a bike was my dads brand new 1983 200x.

i don't stall it very often either, but sometimes it just happened...the guy in front of you would lolligag his ute over the log and you wouldn't be able to get the run at it you need to so you had to finess the clutch while going over it...be careful or it will stall on ya..happened a few times...then you are stuck there waiting for it to decide to start for ya...too much work and not enough fun...

spincr4hire
08-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Easy Trigger. I was just kidding. And for the record, I have been alive longer than you have been riding...

I have killed mine, fires right up, just doesn`t happen often. I don`t do alot of following though, usually in front.

You riding with a bunch of Utes? lol

I'm talking XC Racing, not trail riding, its easily stalled when racing over 2 hours straight chief.;)

represent618
08-04-2008, 12:39 PM
I Ride B Class when I race, bikes and quads.

So I understand, I have stalled more than enough, but I just can`t complain about the way my honda fires up....its that simple chief.

And yes, I ride out front, if someone is "lollygagging" in front of me, I am going around them and its over with, they are not going to cause me to stall my bike...

Nick110
08-04-2008, 02:21 PM
1. Weak transmission
2. Weak Frame
3. Weak subframe
4. Front end handling is inferior to 04/05 set up
5. Stiff arse throttle.
6. Weak fender brackets

thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

rollie
08-04-2008, 02:51 PM
ive had mine for 2 years now, raced both seasons, ONE valve adjustment and thats all thats done with the motori change my oil after every race, change filters in between motos and it runs perfect. i found jetting to be extremely easy as well, these bikes are so easy to work on, the only thing i would change is the electric start, this winter im going with kick start, i havent had any problems with my electric i just like kick better:cool:

spincr4hire
08-04-2008, 04:09 PM
I Ride B Class when I race, bikes and quads.

So I understand, I have stalled more than enough, but I just can`t complain about the way my honda fires up....its that simple chief.

And yes, I ride out front, if someone is "lollygagging" in front of me, I am going around them and its over with, they are not going to cause me to stall my bike...
you're the man:cool:

Dave400ex
08-04-2008, 05:19 PM
There is a simple solution to the starting problems... buy a KICKER! I sold my ER after 6-7 months and got a kickstart 07. Best decision I've made. Will be getting a new 09 kicker...

400exrapes
08-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Speedyquad I read all of your posts and you brought up alot of good points, although they dont all concern everyone, that doesnt make you wrong. I have a kicker as well, not an 06+ but Its still nice to never have to worry about a battery/connections.

stoopidbot
08-04-2008, 05:58 PM
All the guys who say they have to leave their battery on a charge, I have not seen any issues. I'm still on the same charge from July of 07 when I bought it. I have never put a charger to it or had to replace the battery.

TRX450RACER174
08-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by stoopidbot
All the guys who say they have to leave their battery on a charge, I have not seen any issues. I'm still on the same charge from July of 07 when I bought it. I have never put a charger to it or had to replace the battery.

If you ride regularly its not a problem, but i have been on the injured list for 6 months so mine is on a tender right now, And for the record mine was bought in Oct of 05 still on the original battery and mine starts great hot or cold and is maintenanced all the time.

400exrapes
08-04-2008, 06:47 PM
We've all got different quads. Some of us have better luck then others, some of us take care of our quads better then others.

coryatver
08-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Nick110's list has it about right.

I own speedyquads 450r now. I have been trying to work the issues out of it.

I have found the two biggest issues with the starting were the clutch. It has EBC clutch plates/fibers in it and if it is in gear with the clutch pulled in and adjusted correctly, they still grab. So when you try to start it in gear the starter wants to drive the whole bike which doesn't work so good. I have to put it in neutral to start it. I am hoping this can be fixed by installing stock Honda clutch parts.

Also the jetting was way off. The pilot jet was to small and the main jet was a 195 which is way to big. Now I have a 175 in it and it is still to rich. I believe it was jetted this way because the pilot jet was to small and the jetting was off so the main was increased to a size so large that it acted like the pilot was jetted right but made hot starting impossible the thing was pretty much flooded out if you stalled it hot with that monster main

After changing the jets, and I have to have it in neutral, even when hot it starts up great.

Also I had to replace the battery. It had a generic brand put on in march with only one ride on it since then. Before it broke it was working great, I started up the bike and went for a ride and shut off and went to turn it back on and it had no voltage at all. I think it broke inside from the jarring of riding pretty hard. I put a Yausa battery in it and with 4 hard rides I have had no problems. I am going to put a kicker on it as soon as I can afford it.

also the tranny... it shifts horrible. I hope it hangs in there the rest of the season. I might have to send the gears somewhere to get them machined or whatever service most motor builders are offering to get them to work right.

and the front end is HORRIBLE. It handles like crap compared to a 400ex. I got a 04/05 front end to put on it hopefully it is a lot better.

These bikes have there issues but all the new race bikes do. If you take care of the issues they are awesome bikes. There is a reason why almost all privateers are on 450r's. I love riding this thing and as I get the bugs worked out of it I am liking it more and more.

honda300EXtreme
08-04-2008, 10:24 PM
thanks again guys, like i said everyone always talks about the good, i worry more about the bad things with quads

400exrapes
08-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
Nick110's list has it about right.

I own speedyquads 450r now. I have been trying to work the issues out of it.

I have found the two biggest issues with the starting were the clutch. It has EBC clutch plates/fibers in it and if it is in gear with the clutch pulled in and adjusted correctly, they still grab. So when you try to start it in gear the starter wants to drive the whole bike which doesn't work so good. I have to put it in neutral to start it. I am hoping this can be fixed by installing stock Honda clutch parts.

Also the jetting was way off. The pilot jet was to small and the main jet was a 195 which is way to big. Now I have a 175 in it and it is still to rich. I believe it was jetted this way because the pilot jet was to small and the jetting was off so the main was increased to a size so large that it acted like the pilot was jetted right but made hot starting impossible the thing was pretty much flooded out if you stalled it hot with that monster main

After changing the jets, and I have to have it in neutral, even when hot it starts up great.

Also I had to replace the battery. It had a generic brand put on in march with only one ride on it since then. Before it broke it was working great, I started up the bike and went for a ride and shut off and went to turn it back on and it had no voltage at all. I think it broke inside from the jarring of riding pretty hard. I put a Yausa battery in it and with 4 hard rides I have had no problems. I am going to put a kicker on it as soon as I can afford it.

also the tranny... it shifts horrible. I hope it hangs in there the rest of the season. I might have to send the gears somewhere to get them machined or whatever service most motor builders are offering to get them to work right.

and the front end is HORRIBLE. It handles like crap compared to a 400ex. I got a 04/05 front end to put on it hopefully it is a lot better.

These bikes have there issues but all the new race bikes do. If you take care of the issues they are awesome bikes. There is a reason why almost all privateers are on 450r's. I love riding this thing and as I get the bugs worked out of it I am liking it more and more.

Thats awesome that you found all that out about those problems and you solved alot of them, the more I read, the more I figure out that 450r's dont handle that great at all no matter whats done. I thought about my 400ex, and it too handled nicely.

08-04-2008, 11:25 PM
like i told you before cory, both mine and lonestars had to be in neutral to start since day one...
ut was also hard to start bone stock with lean jetting. with the stock carb, the wb exhaust, and the twin air filter, i had a 165 main, 48 pilot and it was harder than ever to start...it got better after i dropped the pilot to a 45...then i bought that carb with the hotstart and that is when i lost my mind jetting it it...it started the best it ever has the way you got it from me
lumi told me these bikes,for some reason, flood when they shut off...that is why they are hard to start...

stoopidbot
08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Turn the gas off.

treadway47025
08-05-2008, 07:10 AM
I just bought a leftover 07 last week and had the hrc package installed before I picked it up. I will say that for being all honda parts still so basically stock in a sense it runs very good. Very quick and likes to wheelie. My 2 front lower shock nuts vibrated lose on my second ride. Prob had 5 hours on it by then.. Lost one of them and one was dangling... Then the headernuts came loost and one was mia for that as well. My dealer gave me new ones free of charge which is good, but seems the last 2 honda 450r's i have bought have had stuff rattle off during break in. my 06 had the axle jam nut back off. CHECK YOUR NUTS AND BOLTS is all I am saying. :)

stoopidbot
08-05-2008, 07:57 AM
I would do that with any quad. I actually lock tight every nut and bolt I can.

8my_Cash
08-05-2008, 08:32 AM
I have my 07 e start since october last year and i have no complaints with it. fires right up and i put it through its paces, i have no issues with it.

the down fall for me is the suspension...its horrible the rear bucks alot and the front is just as bad.

but the rest of the bike is niceee, no regrets with this bike just wish i had a kicker

represent618
08-05-2008, 08:33 AM
they all rattle loose bad, I have been checking all my bolts.
the factory bolt backed off of my gas knob on the side and I lost my knob/cover/bole and washer.

I had a cannondale, (which was a wicked machine) that vibrated seemingly every bolt loose every time I rode it. lock-tite is your best friend....

Overall, I am VERY happy with my 07 450ER. I know there are plenty of issues that are known to exist with these bikes, but AI have had no trouble with mine. it starts right up hot or cold.

I let a friend that rides a YZF ride it, he killed it and flooded it trying to start it. I can see how it happens, but for me, no troubles.

ride on!

quad2xtreme
08-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Handling for 2006-2008 can be drastically improved but it will cost you some $$$ for caster adjustable a-arms.

I went ahead and upgraded to 2005 hubs and spindles which is an improvement. You need to decide if you are going to do this Day 1 if you decide to purchase new a-arms. Upper a-arms for the 2005 are 1/4" longer. 1/4" doesn't sound like much until you see the camber...the tops lean in too much.

If you don't change the steering this way, you can make some improvement by grinding down the steering stem stops.

Best upgrade for those running 400exs...use 2006 spindles, dual piston brake calipers, and front brake master cylinder/lever. The geometry seems to be the same in terms of camber & caster so steering isn't improved but it sure does improve your braking power and the effort it takes to put on the brakes. The 400ex hubs and the 2006 hubs appear to be interchangeable. The brake rotors are the same.

/Jon

TRX450RACER174
08-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Handling for 2006-2008 can be drastically improved but it will cost you some $$$ for caster adjustable a-arms.

Correct i put Houser Slicast arms on my 06 and after some adjustments it steers alot better than it did with the previous no caster adjustment.

08-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme

Best upgrade for those running 400exs...use 2006 spindles, dual piston brake calipers, and front brake master cylinder/lever.

/Jon

that is going to be a winter project or me...not that it is a hard undertaking, but i have a lot of other stuff on my plate right now

Supercup
08-05-2008, 11:11 PM
My only problem was when I first got mine I had starting issues. But after it got jetted properly I had no more issues. I did have 2 or 3 recalls that were done. Overall I would say I have had no problems with mine. Love it.

JCM

honda300EXtreme
08-05-2008, 11:26 PM
jeeze didnt think thered be so many replies,,

thanks

XCRACER26
08-18-2008, 05:37 PM
the bottom line is if you are going to buy a 450r, get the 04 or 05. they are bullit proof, the only issue you have to watch out for on them is the crank bearings. thats only 200-300 hour motors. myne has never failed me and most of the Rs on the nationals are 04 and 05.;)

Ruby Soho
08-18-2008, 05:50 PM
so the crank bearings on the 04/05s go bad with alot of hours?

im definitely upgrading from my 440 to a 450 in the near future, and im with mikey in getting a 450r. instead of making a new thread ill just throw my questions in the mix.

what are the weakpoints in the 04/05 models? any mods you need to do like the YFZ has? any known spots to break on their frames?

fill me in on all the 04/05 450r info:D

08-18-2008, 07:43 PM
speedyquad sounds like you had the same conflict as my friend. he had a 400ex went to a 450r and then back to a 400ex.

08-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Well, you could just get the Suzuki LTZ450 like I did but since your a Honda person that is probably outta the question :) Actually a friend of mine has an 07 Honda 450R and at first is was weak with the stock baffle and all. He recently did the HCR kit and the bike now is ALIVE. A whole different beast but I still would take my LTR450 over his Honda. We ran them over the weekend many times and the LTR just seems to get the job done even though all that's done is the Cherry Bomb and Baffle removed. Well, Airbox is off but nothing added. I love the way the quad runs and rides. It has excellent handling that you can't get on the 450R Honda without spending lots of cash to upgrade. Great bikes though and I love the way the Honda looks.

j_cyrus3
08-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
so the crank bearings on the 04/05s go bad with alot of hours?

im definitely upgrading from my 440 to a 450 in the near future, and im with mikey in getting a 450r. instead of making a new thread ill just throw my questions in the mix.

what are the weakpoints in the 04/05 models? any mods you need to do like the YFZ has? any known spots to break on their frames?

fill me in on all the 04/05 450r info:D

My crank bearings went down after 3 years of almost every weekend use... You will have no warning, it just happens...

The frames are bad to crack under the gas tank. I put a gusset kit on mine, and I cracked it again. Where the brake lines bolt up by the a arms, my frame is cracked on both sides there too( I've never seen this done on another quad, so I don't know if that's common or not ). I would much rather have an 04/05 than 06-08, just because of the tranny problems and having to replace the spindles for a better turning radius.

If you do get an 06 I would suggest Toby from Moto-Xperts to do the tranny mod.

Just my 2 cents.

blacknblue#2
08-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by XCRACER26
the bottom line is if you are going to buy a 450r, get the 04 or 05. they are bullit proof, the only issue you have to watch out for on them is the crank bearings. thats only 200-300 hour motors. myne has never failed me and most of the Rs on the nationals are 04 and 05.;)

its not JUST high houred engines that lose crank bearings. its just a risk you take with buyin an 04/05. ive owned 5 450Rs since 04
the 04 was baught in july of 04 and lost a crank in November, warranty covered that one. my 05 450R was baught in august of 05 and lost its crank in janurary of 06, that one come out of my pocket. The 04 i own today was baught in july of 04 by one of my best friends. lost a crank in december of 05 and set in a barn until i rescued it in spring of 08.

Ruby Soho
08-19-2008, 01:56 PM
so the 06+ have no crank bearing issues?

hmm this is kind of steering me towards a yfz.. im most definitely going to be being used, and I don't wanna get one and have that happen. It requires splitting the cases and all that stuff correct?

IMSROLL450R
08-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
so the 06+ have no crank bearing issues?

hmm this is kind of steering me towards a yfz.. im most definitely going to be being used, and I don't wanna get one and have that happen. It requires splitting the cases and all that stuff correct?

No they don't and someone saying that the 04/05s are better is only opinion. I have hundreds of hours on my 06 and have not had any bottom end problems. I added a kicker and did the tranny mod with Toby and this motor is flawless. It is a fact that a stock 06 and newer runs stronger than the 04/05s stock. Thats been proven many times. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the YFZ but I would hate to see a honda rider go to the dark side. You're going to have to work on anything that you buy, but that shouldn't steer you away from the Honda. I'd pick up a good used 06 and ride the crap out of it. I will never get rid of the one I have........ever.

86250rrider
08-25-2008, 12:27 PM
i run an 05 x/c and fast trails.crf cam,11.5 piston,open lid. it runs very strong.i also use a rekluse, gtthunder shock,link,ohlins fronts,06 swinger. very strong running tough bike. very good trail combo indeed. oh...its obviously a kicker.1st kick starts every time!