PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Heat Problems

Sjorge450R
08-03-2008, 06:33 PM
So I have a HP and it gets really hot. I am running a AMD 64 AthlonX2 in it. The hard drive area and the fan gets burning hot. I dont know much about laptop heat problems. I guess i just wanna know if those cooling pads really work? I mean I am sure that they do considering they have fans, but are certain ones better?

quads14589
08-03-2008, 07:12 PM
there ok, my uncle has a gateway and he just got his fan replaced cus his wouild get whicked hot so were you couldnt touch it, id try a heating pad or try propping it up in the air to get more air flo.

coryatver
08-03-2008, 07:17 PM
After a while the fans and heat sink get plugged up with dust. Once a year I have to take my laptop apart and clean it. I use alcohol and q-tips to clean the heat sink really good and also the fan. also clean off the cpu and put on new thermal grease.

stumpleg
08-04-2008, 09:09 AM
My Macbook gets warm after long usage. I try not to use it on anything that holds heat, like carpet or blankets.

<DRS>GPF
08-04-2008, 11:58 AM
i occasionally blow compressed air into the louvers/vents for the CPU heatsink. enough to spin-up the fan.

outside of that, ill keep the number of active processes below 35 and pile on the RAM. The harddrive drive "caches" info less often and doesnt heat up as much.

im not sure youll keep that processor from running hot.. its probably 90 to 125 watts (or more)while its crunching, not including the heat from RAM and the harddrive.

represent618
08-04-2008, 02:16 PM
might want to see if there is a BIOS update available for your laptop. very frequent issue with laptops that is oftern cured by a BIOS flash that tunes the RPM of the fan at differernt heat ranges.

8my_Cash
08-04-2008, 02:26 PM
another big preventative measure is to make notice of the location of the fan....if it sucks in air from the bottom and you have the laptop not propt up to allow sufficient air flow it will get hot.

also laptops are known to get hot just make notice of how hot and keep up with keeping the cpu fan clean.

the cooling fan pads do work

also remember to turn the laptop off every once in a while at college i notice a lot of kids leave their laptops on like a computer thinking that a laptop is a replacement to a desktop....it is in the sense that laptops can handle the same tasks of a desktop but desktops have better air flow to cool the computer down.

just food for thought :blah:

Sjorge450R
08-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah see I never leave mine on for more than 3 hours at a time. Mainly cause of the noise the fan makes. I am going to look for bios and then check the cache stuff someone posted here. I think I am in the end just going to get a pad cause I definetly wanna get one for before I go away to college, worst case senerio my HD crashes....... :o

chevy
08-04-2008, 03:35 PM
i had problems with my hp heating up all of the time. i bought a cooling pad and it works pretty good.

fastredrider44
08-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Whenever possible, I use mine on a hard surface and put a pencil in the back to lift it up a little bit. I might look into that cooling pad idea.

yfzrider45
08-05-2008, 09:15 AM
the only reason its geting hot is becasue it needs more air, i put 1 nickel under ever corner of it and myne never gets hot anymore......more airflow the better!!!