PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Ease

KingpinsEx
08-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Just curious how you guys would rate the maintenance chores on the LTR. I know all 450s require frequent maintenance so im just curious how hard performing the general stuff is on them. Everything looks pretty compact on them and possibly hard to get at. Seems like the honda would be much easier to access, also is there a clymer repair manual out for them yet? Thanks

LTR450_#67
08-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Changing oil is probably the biggest pain in the arse with the LTR IMO. I say that becuz along with the oil-tank drain bolt (which is the easy one to get to), there are 2 other bolts that are at the bottom case that go on/in from the side....And you always have to remove the skidplate to get to them. The tank bolt is also easy to strip out if you're not careful also.

Checking the valves isn't too bad... you just take off your front plastics, screw the fuel shut-off off, disconnect the fuel hose to the pump, there are also 2 lines that are automotive type that you'll need to uncouple from the tank, then the tank pan, disconnect some of the breather lines from the cover and then you can take the cover off.

To adjust is the same as any other 450, but on the LTR you have to remove the fuel pump becuz the timing chain tensioner is behind it.

The air filter is fairly easy to access but the airbox is on the small side and the way Suzuk has the filter seal is stupid...it works but you have to becareful to try and make sure it's sealed.

You can just get the factory manual too.

Any other questions?

KingpinsEx
08-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Yea just a few... Doesn't sound too awful bad from what you are saying. How frequent do you feel the valves need adjusted? Also how often do you think the engine needs rebuilt and what would needs replaced if done. Thanks for the info!

QUADSQUAD7
08-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by KingpinsEx
Yea just a few... Doesn't sound too awful bad from what you are saying. How frequent do you feel the valves need adjusted? Also how often do you think the engine needs rebuilt and what would needs replaced if done. Thanks for the info!
I have done valve adjustments on three different LTR's with two of the them having 50 hours and one having 70hrs. I didn't have to make any adjustments to the 70hr one and only one of the 50hr ones. The thing that is something you will probably have to replace is the cylinder when you reach 50 hrs. On all three quads I had to send the cylinders off to be re-nikociled. The stock coating from suzuki isn't very good. I stll wouldn't take any other machine over the LTR. You ever need any questions answered about the LTR PM me. I've been all through these bikes and know what works and what dont.