PDA

View Full Version : new timing chain on the way..

justin1022
08-02-2008, 11:07 PM
well im putting a 440 kit in and need to put the hd timing chain... i am striping my quad and getting it ready for this all.. someone want to help me out on whats next for pul lthe old timing chain off?http://photos-550.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v271/207/50/594710550/n594710550_3684122_1648.jpg

drew416ex
08-02-2008, 11:27 PM
you have to pull th entire clutch off, then you can take off the nut and pull the timing gear off to get the chain off.

justin1022
08-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
you have to pull th entire clutch off, then you can take off the nut and pull the timing gear off to get the chain off.

ok is ther anything i sohuld watch for wile pulling the clutch apart?

Honda#4
08-03-2008, 06:59 AM
It's all kind self explanitory, the only problem I had was I didnt put the clutch lifter bearing on right was the wrong way and couldnt figure out why my clutch didnt work LOL! safe to say I learned real quick. When you go to retorque the clutch hub nut I suggest buying a clutch holder tool it will make that process go faster cuz its not fun holding a clutch hub and trying to torque something 80ft/lbs, there 30 bucks from magic racing.

justin1022
08-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
It's all kind self explanitory, the only problem I had was I didnt put the clutch lifter bearing on right was the wrong way and couldnt figure out why my clutch didnt work LOL! safe to say I learned real quick. When you go to retorque the clutch hub nut I suggest buying a clutch holder tool it will make that process go faster cuz its not fun holding a clutch hub and trying to torque something 80ft/lbs, there 30 bucks from magic racing. ok ill try and find one thanks!

lilhouskey
08-13-2008, 10:44 AM
in the service manual it says there is a lock nut holding the clutch on and to replace it when you put it back on, is that really nessecary?

justin1022
08-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by lilhouskey
in the service manual it says there is a lock nut holding the clutch on and to replace it when you put it back on, is that really nessecary?

wow this is a really old thread of mine! but just to let you no. i didnt replace it. it was really hard to get off too! i just ripped it off with the impact though. and to put it back on i just put the clutch plates in and got someone to push on the plates as hard as they could so it was hard to spin the center and i just got it as tight as it would go. and i no it sounds really dumb of me but i dont got much for tools and i have been rideing on it for about 2 weeks now and nothing flew apart.

lilhouskey
08-13-2008, 12:21 PM
awesome thanks, lol I started on my 440 build and it keeps snowballing like I might as well replace this since its apart oh and this since that is apart. Figured I might as well do my clutch since its coming off to do my hd timing chain.

justin1022
08-13-2008, 05:42 PM
awesome thanks, lol I started on my 440 build and it keeps snowballing like I might as well replace this since its apart oh and this since that is apart. Figured I might as well do my clutch since its coming off to do my hd timing chain.

nice! what kind of 440 kit did you buy? i did my rebuild and i love the 440 i can beat a stock yfz450. my 440 kit is a JE and this picture is from when i was putting my hd timing chain on.

lilhouskey
08-13-2008, 11:31 PM
i have an 11:1 wiseco and a stage 2 hotcams I'm puttin in but im still tryin to find a 450r carb I can afford, its my first time taking an engine apart but its all pretty basic with some help from the old shop manual. I figure now since its apart i'll go with a new clutch and HD head studs, maybe get some porting and polishing done on my head while its off and make it a winter project. What compression are you runnin?

justin1022
08-15-2008, 01:00 PM
i have an 11:1 wiseco and a stage 2 hotcams I'm puttin in but im still tryin to find a 450r carb I can afford, its my first time taking an engine apart but its all pretty basic with some help from the old shop manual. I figure now since its apart i'll go with a new clutch and HD head studs, maybe get some porting and polishing done on my head while its off and make it a winter project. What compression are you runnin?

im running a 12.5:1 i love it i was rideing with some 450rs and they have hot cams pipe and some prting done and one has this green wire mod and i was keeping up pretty good i was surprised for bottom end there isnt much diffrence until you get up in the higher gears because they go through those gears faster then you can blink and the 400ex is a bit slower that way. but all in all i think it does pretty good. i dont no anything about the 11:1 though. i am not sure what the diffrence is.

shok47
04-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Do you have to take out the engine to change the timing chain??