PDA

View Full Version : Sons first race-flood us with tips !!!

Bill Lemans
08-02-2008, 09:37 AM
My 10 yr. old has his first race next thursday at the Eastern Michigan State fair:D :D

We don't have too many out by us so we're pretty excited.It's 80-125cc 10-15 yr. olds.Local fair class......
He's running an eton 90cc B-52 and Hetrick pipe. 1500 springs in the back , still working on the rollers up front and fox shocks.Stock 19/28 sprockets.+3 +1 a-arms and +3 swinger.

If any one has any tips on any part of racing, please send em'. This is our first race and I know he can ride well, but any tips on set up would be appreciated cause we have only been setting him up for trail riding in the past.
Don't know the track because they put it up the day of the race. I do know it's a one mile mx track .

Man, I feel like a little kid ready to explode !!!!:D

Thanx, Bill

JIM GRACE
08-02-2008, 06:26 PM
walk the track if possible with your rider and go over the holeshot
also go over diffrent lines. first practice lap take it easy and start to build speed..

good luck! video tape the race, great for memories since there are not too many races in your area..

brandon's dad #55

Phugg
08-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Let the lil one Have Fun with it. We were at a race yesterday in Turlock CA , our daughters first race ever. She had a blast , finished 8 of 10 and was grinning ear to ear. There are years and years to come for yours to get good or better and actually RACE.
We were out with some of the pros all day , just hangin and being bums. Every one of the "race kids" (the ones that are good already) were jelouse of ours. I asked one why and his reply was " Do you know who your kid is hangin out with ?" My reply to him , yes just a friend and their families.

I'm not doggin any of the kids that are good (cause I was really impressed with machines and skill). Just that a few "parents/coaches" were going pretty harsh on a few 5 and 7 yr olds. I said nothing just kept shooting pics.
We have found a great thing for our daughter to have fun at. She actually wants to go race on her own , and in her words " If I don't finish first , at least I'll finish with a grin" This from a 9yr old girl that wieghs 44lbs ... damn we could all be so lucky to have a kids life again.
And NO NOT ONE of our kids are spoiled (slight sarcasm).

edit : She is on the 17 Can Am getting lapped by the 8.

Bill Lemans
08-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Definately walking the track . We get 2 hours to sign up , walk the track and have the racers meeting. Helping him choos his line sounds beneficial two.

All he wants is to try it. He loves anything racing except he gets bored with Nascar......

I just want him to finish safely with a perma-smile :D

thanx fellas

team37
08-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Hold his line,fair tracks are usualy short and the leaders may lap him.If he holds his line the leaders can pass without contact.If he tries to move over for them ,They may already be commited to that same line that he moves into...................also look up the track, Plan for the next opstical long before you get to it.............operate in upright position only -Ride within his capabilitys..........and last have fun now because in 2 years he will be doing stuff on the track that will make you #%#* your pants and you will be to nervouse to have fun!:eek:................

XXX -rider
08-04-2008, 06:25 PM
stay in the "attack position" as much as possible except turns ..then use body english or lean to inside , & power out of turns ..

look further down the track ..not directly in front ,plan/pick his lines ahead of time ...& while racing dont wait on anyone ...ever ;)

ride til he is sure the race is over ..he gets the checkered flag

dericsdad
08-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Best advice was already given, HAVE FUN! Cause that is what it is supposed to be all about. Deric rode a lot better and had a lot more fun when I quit trying to tell him what to "do better"...

Speed and wins will come with time as he gets more track time and gains confidence in himself, then you can help him to "hone" his skills.

We started recording the races on a digital camera so he could watch himself, and see what the others were doing also. It's easier to show him than to tell him what the others are doing different.

Just tell him to have fun and ride safe!

Like others said, soon enough you wil be scared to death at times watching him race!

Bill Lemans
08-15-2008, 03:48 PM
So even after a few issues, Zack managed a fourth place out of 15 racers.
We started off in good shape, but just before the race, he wiped out running around a corner to the truck as we were leaving for the race.It was wet and he tripped and slid across 2x2 pavers and wiped out his shin from knee to ankle.Poor kid was in major pain,couldn't walk when we got there. Thankfully, there was an ambulance on sight to patch him up.Missed the track walk and part of practice runs.Then, during what little practice he got, he lost an a-arm bolt during practice with little time for repair before his race. The guy next to me had a 8mm bolt instead of a 10mm , so we used it to get by.Still tough to steer though.
Then he lost a coil wire, it came out of the coil.........after inspection we noticed it had teeth marks on both ends:eek2: Damn dog.
It appears Dad needs to be more thorough in pre race inspections. Live and learn, I guess.

Needless to say, quite an interesting first experience for both of us ! He even wants to keep racing!:D

Thanx for all the input !:D

Nichols Atvs
08-15-2008, 09:02 PM
That was a great day of racing ! After all you went through and he still wants to do it. That is the Desire a racer needs . 4th out of 15 for the first race darn good .Our first race my son got hit from behind and fliped over didnt even go half the track yet rough going for the first year. Third year hes jumping and clearing 50 foot table tops on a 70 cc. You got a lot of fun ahead of you . Good luck.