PDA

View Full Version : which cam for hill climbs?

supernatural
08-01-2008, 05:52 PM
looking for a cam for a pipped and jetted 400ex with a sparks timing advance and open airbox, also have aftermarket rev. I want more juice to get up steep hills. do alot of powerline and sand pit riding so i guess topend isn't my thing but i don't want to lose alot of it. which cam would be best?

brian76708
08-01-2008, 06:35 PM
stage 1

buster024
08-01-2008, 07:11 PM
stage 1

I don't know about a stage 1. I've ridden bikes with both stage 1 & 2 cams, and for my style of hill climbing, the 1 was just to much bottom end. I prefered the feel of the 2.
Granted, I've never owned a quad with a hotcam, so my riding experience with them is limited, but I would consider a 2. You could probably do an hour of research, and find dyno's of each.

Everyone's bike and style is different, but I prefer a smooth range of power over a longer band (or at least seemingly so). I want my 3rd gear to have the nuts of 1st and 2nd.

rideracelivemx7
08-01-2008, 09:17 PM
i do belive i agree with buster on this, hill climb youd liked to keep the rpms up also for momentum and stage one isnt much top end, just flat, stage 2 is still decent bottom end and a great top end so you can keep the rpms up, and it has a killer mid range incase the rpms fall, id say thats where it really shines is mid range. stage 3 is all top end though.

honda300EXtreme
08-01-2008, 10:08 PM
i agree the stage 2 will be best suited for you, it pulls nicely in the bottom to mid range ( perfect for hills and sand) and doesnt sacrifice any top end

in my opinion this is the right cam for you

brian76708
08-02-2008, 12:23 AM
he has stock bore wouldnt stage 2 make him loose to much compression

rideracelivemx7
08-02-2008, 08:09 AM
true, he will drop a compression level if he does a stage 2. stage 1 its still not going to be a true 9:1 compression because you still keep about same compression wiht a stage 1, its around 8:6 or something around there, dont quote me, and i know a stage 2 he will drop to lower8s to real high 7's. but i cant say i would hill climb on stock bore 400.. the stage 2 compliments big bores extremely well. not nessesarily full out 440 or something, but 416's as well. its not difficult to drop in a high comp piston to compensate for the loss in camming a stock bore engine.