PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues, please help

cab36
08-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Issue is, most of the time when I go to start quad it sounds as if the starter is spinning in place, sometimes catching and almost turning over then slipping back off gears and spinning again, i have to rock her back and forth in gear to get it to catch (sometimes doing the trick, sometimes not). I pulled the cover to see if starter is engaging w/ gears and it is, So I replaced both gears thinking maybee the second starter gear was stripped but no fixy. I do not mind push starting but the starter is so nice.

RaginRedneck
08-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Wow, you replaced the gears and it didn't fix the problem???? Are you sure it is meshing properly?? That would be my only guess.

rideracelivemx7
08-02-2008, 08:17 AM
is it a cold start or heating issue, or all around. id say its time for a new starter clutch. its what lets you turn the flywheel backwards but not forwards, the bearings might be gone and not biting the flywheel anymore. wont hur tto try, but thats what it sounds like to me.

drew416ex
08-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Yeah there is a one way bearing inthere that will sometimes grab and sometimes not when it starts to wear out. Thats most likely the problem.

cab36
08-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Yea, i think I just needed confirmation before I spent the money. But if that cluth is slipping would it be grinding on occasions? I can not really say yes or no to the cold start but i can say more often than not it will fire when cold. Of course I just whent out and tried and it spun then fired right up but when hot i usualy end up push starting. I think i will start saving for the cluth. Untill I get it though am I tearing anything else up and While I am in there is there anything else I should replace???

drew416ex
08-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Hate to say it but if you want to ensure long life on that new bearing, it might be a good idea to also get that gear that the bearing rides on. You dont have to, but it would probably help out.