PDA

View Full Version : needle jetting

xtullyx16
08-01-2008, 12:53 PM
400ex mods- 426ex hotcams stage 1 wiesco piston (pump gas)
k&n airfilter
hmf full exhaust

how do i move the needle on a 400ex carb? also do u guys have any idea what jet size (main pilot and needle) i should start at? im thinking 170 main 45 pilot 2 clip on needle.. right now i have my old jets in from my stock motor (155 main and 42 pilot) and it runs like **** cuts out on top end horribly no mid throttle strength.. it straight wants to fall on its face.. checked plug and it was whitish on top of electrode..

clayton213
08-01-2008, 01:25 PM
haha sounds like we have the same problem maybe try the jet screw or ur tors its on top of ur carb

xtullyx16
08-02-2008, 11:39 AM
No one else can help me out on how to move the needle?

jeepthing07
08-02-2008, 12:41 PM
take the top plate off the carb then take the 2 screws of the slide thats attached to the arm that raises it. then you can pull the slid/needle out and adjust it and stick it back in.

xtullyx16
08-02-2008, 02:20 PM
top part where the throttle cable is attached?

jeepthing07
08-02-2008, 03:16 PM
the plate on top with 3 screws holding it on its like a gold color. the throttle cable attaches to the side.

xtullyx16
08-02-2008, 09:20 PM
alright soo.. i changed my needle. i put the clip down one more spot.. it was in the middle.. but i was wondering i didnt get a good look at it when i took it apart but does the needle clip go under the plate with 2 screws or does it go on top?!

anyways i have another big question.. this is a fresh built 426ex.. the piston and cam and cam chain(everhting but the rings and gaskets) are used.. can i still really dial it in now? I should be letting everything seat inide the motor right? So im thinking of leaving where it is at now and let everything seat cause im scared to rip on it till i get a tank of gas through it..

also, my valves and valve cover are adjusted for my stock motor.. since i have stage 1 i have to readjust the valves and i havent done that yet.. can i seriously damage them? and what performance difference will this have when i do adjust them (big or small)?