DantheEXman
12-05-2002, 03:52 PM
after:D .............

Sparks425Ex
12-05-2002, 04:40 PM
Looking Good.

What did you use for polish?

What were your steps?

I polished my oil filter cover and I couldn't get it that shiney.

My starter cover that shiney tho.

12-05-2002, 05:29 PM
looks real nice

99'300EX
12-05-2002, 07:33 PM
Give me some info on how to do it, what to use, and anything else.

thanks

AtvMxRider
12-05-2002, 07:47 PM
Mine were polished when I got them but I need to do them again.

DantheEXman
12-05-2002, 08:32 PM
I posted the steps before.. but here it goes...

1. Strip the paint if any, using high grade paint stripper.

2. Sand with rough sandpaper to get out large imperfections. ( 100 grit works well) Then work your way up to 220 grit... then to something in the 300 or 400 range... then use some 600 to get it very smooth...

3. You can use some very very fine steel wool at the end to toutch it up.. Iv found that 600 grit sandpaper and the finest steel wool do about the same thing.

4. Use some Mothers Mag and Alum. Polish to get it real shiney. :D (it comes in a little can, follow the directions... all you need is a cloth)

5. Then your done;)

....These are the steps to do it with out any power tools... But if you have a drill or a buffing motor.... check these directions out...http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/ click on buffing and finishing....then under Techj Articles... click on Mag and Aluminum Wheel Polishing and buffing.

~Dan

AndrewRRR
12-05-2002, 09:12 PM
Ooooooooooh purdy! I know what I'm doing this weekend! I'll get some before and after pics too

Team Outlaw #34
12-05-2002, 09:28 PM
hey could i do that polishing thing on my throttle (sp?) cover? do ya think it would look that good?

thanks....

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-06-2002, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Team Outlaw #34
hey could i do that polishing thing on my throttle (sp?) cover? do ya think it would look that good?

thanks....

Yes, and yes.

wheeltrax
12-06-2002, 05:39 AM
They look awesome. They will definately stand out. Good job.

ChadEXer
12-06-2002, 10:19 AM
Good job! I have polished everything on my bike that can be polished, side cases, pipe,front brake rezzy, calipers, swingarm linkage, brake levers,,,and on and on and on,,,and it all looks awesome!! The steps you are taking is good but I like to finish up with at least a 1000 grit I even use a 1500 grit most of the time and my finish is flawless,,, a 600grit finish will still show minor scratches especially when the sun hits it directly,,,,but I also put it to my buffing motor and buffing compunds after the sanding and it turns out perfect!! im getting so good at this I may need to open a polishing shop:D

Here is some pics of my brushed aluminum pipe and AC after i polished them,,,this is before I put them to the polishing wheel so they even look better now,,,the camera sucks but you can see it looks real nice!!

Polishing things like the front brake rezzy and the calipers can be a real pain because they have such deep pits in them,,,what i do with that is use my Dremel with sanding bands and sand the pits down completely(you will go through the small sanding bands very fast), then go through the sanding stages by hand and finish them up with Mothers or on the polishing wheel!!! Polished calipers look real nice!!!

Extremeracer167
12-06-2002, 10:24 AM
i use Zephyr Pro 40, and everyne that i show it to and how to use it, thinks its alot better then Mothers.

QuadTrix6
12-06-2002, 10:53 AM
Polishing looks awsome, but you gotta put the time in

AndrewRRR
12-06-2002, 11:38 AM
I used to use Mother's. Now I use Hollywood's. Cascade uses it also.

DantheEXman
12-06-2002, 01:56 PM
No!!! Dont use a dremel... The sanding rings make it all uneven and pitty... Its like plowing it the snow... all the metal builds up on the sides of your strokes like snowbanks... i learned this the hard way.. If you are going to use any power tools.. use a drill with a buffing wheel or a polishing motor.

ChadEXer
12-06-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by DantheEXman
No!!! Dont use a dremel... The sanding rings make it all uneven and pitty... Its like plowing it the snow... all the metal builds up on the sides of your strokes like snowbanks... i learned this the hard way.. If you are going to use any power tools.. use a drill with a buffing wheel or a polishing motor. Yeah thats the way my caliper turned out the first time I done it, but i redone it with the Dremel using a different method, then polished it with all steps of sandpaper and it looks real good!!! You just have to be real careful with the Dremel and not operate it at 35,000 RPM when your doing it!!!

DantheEXman
12-06-2002, 07:27 PM
You just have to be real careful with the Dremel and not operate it at 35,000 RPM when your doing it!!!

Lmao.... Maybe thats what i did wrong :huh lol

Sparky416ex
12-07-2002, 07:00 PM
The rubber cover on my throttle came off...i polished the throttle with a dremel tool and it looks awesome!

Sparky416ex
12-07-2002, 07:16 PM
Polished throttle....

i use Wenol (the best polish!!) its hard to get ahold of though

Nausty
12-07-2002, 08:11 PM
chadexer: How hard is it to keep your machine all polished up? I mean don't you have to repolish it after ever couple rides?

Also when stripping the paint off I use this stuff called air craft stripper and it took the paint off in seconds on the throttle cover. Still a pain taking off the paint on the starter cover and oil filter cover.

Total i've polished:
motor mounts
oil filter cover
starter cover
handle bar mounts
both levers
front brake resivour cover
throttle cover
nerfs
bumper

When polishing the nerfs and the bumper I never really sanded down the bends with all the pits from when ac racing heated it up to bend it into shape.

2k2-300exnj
12-07-2002, 10:38 PM
can i use a mouse sander? can u change the grit of the paper on a mouse sander? and is a buff wheel good enough to use to apply the polish? then i would of course use a polishing cloth to finish it...

i use magic mix and it works great... i never sanded or anything here is my front bumper after i polished it just with the polish for about 15 minutes... but this is after 3 ride on it and just washing the quad

Nausty
12-07-2002, 11:59 PM
I wounder how good it would look if somone were to strip the paint off elka rezzies and polish them. I don't think i'll do it to mine though.

2k2-300exnj
12-08-2002, 12:00 AM
is the throttle cover and brake ressivior cover aluminum?
if not wouldnt they rust if they paint is striped off?

Red Rooster
12-08-2002, 12:39 PM
Yes, Yes, And Yes. 100% You're a bright one!

ChadEXer
12-08-2002, 12:48 PM
Nausty, To keep it looking nice you have to polish it quite often! Thats why some people dont like to polish or just have theirs chromed instead, but im the kind of person that likes to wrench around and clean on my bike so it doesnt bother me much!!!
Aircraft stripper is the best to use to get the paint off and you can get it even from Wal-Mart, that where I got mine!!!
There are many different opinions on which polish is the best to use,,,where ther is no doubt the stuff I have is the best, it is basically jewelers rouge in a liquid form,,it is specially made by a local metal shop here and they stuff cant be beat,,,my second favorite is Mothers, I dont think there are many others that can beat Mothers in 2nd place,,,,also i got enough of the stuff to last the rest of my life,,Mothers is the sponsor of one of my old show cars and they sent me cases, and i mean cases of everything they make,,,,I have enough stuff to start my own car detail shop!!!!

DantheEXman
12-08-2002, 02:07 PM
lmao

DantheEXman
12-08-2002, 02:09 PM
is the throttle cover and brake ressivior cover aluminum?

yes they are aluminum.... And no.. They wont rust... As far as I know... Aluminum only oxidizes.

2k2-300exnj
12-08-2002, 02:59 PM
can someone post a list of some of the aluminum parts found on the quads i dont want anytrhing to rust...