PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to go next..jetting Qs too...300ex

Magicfan25
12-05-2002, 03:21 PM
Ok, I'm not sure what I need to do next, so I'm looking for opinions...

I already have a twin air filter and full mega max II exhaust (head pipe included). It was jetted with a K&N jet kit... pretty sure they put the fatest jet in the kit in to be on the safe side. The pipe is pretty black at the back and gets dirty quickly. Also, mainly in second when I go from barely on the thottle to WOT it bogs before it takes off. This thing is waaaay to rich huh?

I ride alot of trails, I think my average speed is somethin like 16mph. Throttle response isnt too good from that point in 3rd gear and it takes it a bit to get runnin hard. I'm also 6' and 180 or so. From a stop it accelerates like **** through 4th gear.

Heres what I've thought about:

go down one tooth on the front sprocket (will the chain still fit ok?)

Cam shaft (what cams do you guys like?)

I guess really what I'm looking for is stronger midrange. The low end had enough I dont mind losing a little on the bottom and I like to have something for those occasional top end runs. I know you cant have it all, but what I'm looking for is a good overall performance.

I can have the carb rejetted and have access to a dyno too (likely can get hooked up real good on the rates too). As far as the jetting goes, once its jetted properly I'll be ok anyhwere under 5000ft, is that correct? If I go over 5000ft with that jet set up does it have to be rejetted or can the needle just be changed?

Thanks guys

TRXRacer1
12-05-2002, 04:00 PM
WOW! You need to get that thing jetted right! Your way to fat on the top end and lean on the bottom. Start by raising the needle a clip. That should help your low-mid problem. If you see an improvement but it's still there a little try another clip higher yet and see what works the best. Now your main is just way to big it sounds like. Get all that fixed before you change the cam of sprockets because you'll have a different machine once it's tuned right.

To answer your sprocket question you can change the front with out chain mods but you will need to adjust.