PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

jkiserracing
07-31-2008, 08:10 PM
So I need some help from you yfz450 guys. I have a 450r so Im used to working on it but Im not as familiar with the Yamaha. My nephew brought his over that he just bought used. Im going to do a little needed maint on it. First of all Is there anything I need to know on this particular quad. On mine I have to drain 2 sides and fill 2 sides seperately. At quick glance I see the oil tank and a filler cap on the motor as well. Are these two seperate by any chance.

06YFZ450SE
07-31-2008, 08:19 PM
There is a drain on the bottom of the Tank and there is a bolt by the gear shifter that oil will come out whe you take it out. You should change the oil filter too. When you put oil back in the quad put some in the motor and put like 1 in half in the oil tank. The 2 you see is where the oil goes there no differances.

jkiserracing
08-01-2008, 05:05 PM
So the bolt next to the gear shifter is an oil level check screw (like on my Honda) So you are saying to put some in the case up to the hole and in the oil tank itself to the dipstick full level in the tank...is that right?

06YFZ450SE
08-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I put almost 1/2 in the motor and the rest in the tank. Its almost takes 2. The bolt near the gearshifter is another drain screw. The oil filter is on the other side with 3 allen headed bolts. It not that much different then your honda.But you use the same oil in the motor and the tank.

yfzrider310
08-01-2008, 10:29 PM
I think its 1.68 liter in the external oil tank and .32 liters in the motor cases. I just changed my oil last night:D I usually just use the both the container up though so I dont have to deal with them.

06YFZ450SE
08-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider310
I think its 1.68 liter in the external oil tank and .32 liters in the motor cases. I just changed my oil last night:D I usually just use the both the container up though so I dont have to deal with them.

Its something like that. I never put 2 in mine I poor a little at a time when I get below 1/2 of the 2nd one.

250r4life
08-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by jkiserracing
So the bolt next to the gear shifter is an oil level check screw (like on my Honda) So you are saying to put some in the case up to the hole and in the oil tank itself to the dipstick full level in the tank...is that right?

no... it isnt a oil level check... it is a drain bolt...

jkiserracing
08-04-2008, 05:36 AM
Yes I see that now that Ive been working on it.