PDA

View Full Version : Checking out a car

dirtbike&quad
07-31-2008, 05:12 PM
Goin to check out a car...what questions would you ask once you get there?

ZeroLogic
07-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Oil changes, highway or city miles. What the car was used for. Look for rust on the frame. Check for leaks on motor. Check tires and breaks.

Chin_Chilla
07-31-2008, 06:14 PM
I'd get a carfax before you go look at the car. Make sure it doesn't burn oil, make sure title isn't salvaged, broken or missing parts... just the obvious. Good luck.

416exfreak
07-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Is this a car for you?

Holy chit if it is. You already have one of the nicest trucks Ive seen...

Chin_Chilla
07-31-2008, 06:22 PM
wtf...double post?

BlaineKaiser450
07-31-2008, 07:23 PM
My dad has gotten quite a few cars and stuff recently and we do the obvious stuff like what zerologic said, but we also get the vin and run that

dirtbike&quad
07-31-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Is this a car for you?

Holy chit if it is. You already have one of the nicest trucks Ive seen...

haha nah my friend. i personally dont like this maxima or really maximas at all (just the newer ones)...but i figured if he might get this, i dont want him to get ****ed over. i already think that a nissan with 115k miles he'll be ****ed but maybe im wrong. ya never know.

and thanks a lot about my truck, always nice to get a comment or 2 about it. i did some stuff to it recently maybe ill post up pics once more stuff is done

ryansblaster
07-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad
and thanks a lot about my truck, always nice to get a comment or 2 about it. i did some stuff to it recently maybe ill post up pics once more stuff is done

post up some pics I think I saw a post about it getting keyed did you get that fixed?

derekhonda
08-02-2008, 07:04 PM
1 thing i will always do before I buy a new car, is ask him to clean it for him. Hand washing will show you all the tiny dents, scratches, places where there are blemishes ect. Also a quick vaccum and armorol will let you learn the inside of it.

Maybe I just have a bad eye, but on 2 or the 3 cars I have bought (first two) I got it home and started cleaning it up and found somethings i wish i would have seen before I bought either for negotiating purposes or just to know to walk away.

08-03-2008, 01:18 AM
already think that a nissan with 115k miles he'll be ****ed but maybe im wrong

hahaha oh god you are so wrong. I would be worried if it was a Chevy with 100k miles, but not a Nissan, 90's Jap cars are bullet proof.

dirtbike&quad
08-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by ryansblaster
post up some pics I think I saw a post about it getting keyed did you get that fixed?

rims, tires and a lift kit are up soon

01 400EXer
08-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I think if you were to purchase Nissan, Toyota or Honda you can't go wrong. I have had Nissans since I was 16, now going on 34 and they have all been great. The last 2 were Maximas, a 99' and now a 01'. These cars are great with plent of power and gets decent milage, I have always gotten 21-25 city and 29-30 highway. One thing I have noticed with the Nissan automatics they need the transmission oil changed between 15 and 30k regularly depending on driving done. The automatic transmissions are the weak points if not serviced on a regular basis. All the ones I have owned I have put over 150k miles on them before I sold them. They require little maintinance except for the normal routine stuff. They have timing chains instead of belts so you never have the costly timing belt replacement. The 01' I have now is a great car being it is an SE, it runs, drives and handles like a champ. The last Maxima I had was a 99' and it only had 1 tune up when I owned it and I sold it to a co-workers son and he loved the car and it had a 175k before he was in a hydroplaning accident with it. They never had it tuned up either.

The Maxima is a good solid car in my opinion but check it over really well and ask to see mainitance records. When I sell mine the buyer does not get any maintinance records (I do the work myself) but I write/record everything I do to the cars on an index card with work performed, milage and date and hand that over to the buyer and usually they have just as much piece of mind if not better than the dealer/service records.