PDA

View Full Version : Almost Bow Season Again

mod440ex
07-31-2008, 01:52 PM
well bow season starts in late september here in missouri and i cant wait. already hung a few of my stands but got a few more. have some trail cams out just waiting to find the right spot to put my others.

400exrider707
07-31-2008, 03:07 PM
I cant wait. I got a new boy to try out too this year. Maybe this time I'll actually make it out into the woods. Cant really get any deer sleeping in my bed.

mod440ex
07-31-2008, 03:23 PM
yeah i got a new bow in february and this will be my first year using it.

Pappy
07-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Wont be to long. We will start our cameras in mid august along with a feeding /mineral program. Should be fun again!

honda300EXtreme
07-31-2008, 10:15 PM
that EHD disease really wiped out most of our heards, they re-populated but at best its half the size it was before. we lost 70% of our deer population in our area

07-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I cant wait. I got a new boy to try out too this year.

i hope you mean bow...lol

i think i am skipping all hunting again this year...pagc has allowed too many to be harvested locally...and i just don't have the time to find them...i still nanage to let a few arrows fly every now and then...

mod440ex
08-01-2008, 03:22 AM
i put down some mineral and put a few cameras out all i got is does and fawns but another 3-4 wks and the bucks should start movin.

mod440ex
08-01-2008, 03:23 AM
here is one of a doe and fawn, dont know if you can see from this pic but the fawn still has its spots. i thought it was kinda late for them but i guess not

jesseweaver
08-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
We will start our cameras in mid august along with a feeding /mineral program.

CHEATER:devil: :devil:

i never got into it really hardcore. last year i went after school but i didnt have my liscense yet and i was to afraid to go to the gamelands nearby because i was only 15 so i just went behind my house but theres no deer there. this year i have my liscense and im pretty hooked up with some nice spots but i work everyday after school and every saturday so you know what that means..... skipping school and sunday hunting:devil:

not serious about the sunday hunting though

... and archery ftw. so much better than rifle:macho

Pappy
08-02-2008, 08:16 PM
to each their own, i like rifle hunting immensley. bow hunting to me is more personal, but my rifle kills are special:p i wont brag or what not, those that know me know i go downtown and the wall speaks for itself..lmao

picked up my new deer rifle today, remington VTR in 308 and topped it with a leupold 3 x9 x50. i was using my trusty 06 but ive been wanting something a tad smaller for treestand hunting and this should work well.

mod440ex
08-03-2008, 04:05 AM
yeah i battled the 100 degree temps today and checked my cams and to place a new one and kicked up a nice 10 point while i was checking for spots, needless to say i got a camera up around where i seen him. i als got a better look at him when i was driveing out on top of the field he was about 12-18 in wide and about 8in tall gave me goose bumpas on a 100 degree day, awesome.

hey pappy what kinda trailcams do you use, just to get another persons opinion. i cant really afford the cuddebacks and expensive stealthcams at least not enough to scout the entire 600ac.

Pappy
08-03-2008, 06:46 AM
moultrie is what we have been using. id love the wireless units that send the pic right to my computer but i will have to win the lottery for that:p

Hondamaster5505
08-03-2008, 07:13 AM
I don't want to start any arguments or anything, but what's the point of all this?

I completely understand if you're killing them to eat, that's life. But why kill them if they aren't doing anything? I don't think I would ever be able to bring myself to shoot one. They actually hurd in my yard because we don't shoot them:p

I always wondered why everyone got a kick out of shooting harmless animals. They have a sucky life as it is. No food in the winter, hunted in the spring/fall, and hit by cars year round.

Like I said, I don't want to start any fights, I was just curious if there's a reason you hunt them, or are all of you doing it for fun?

Pappy
08-03-2008, 07:18 AM
deer meat is all we eat, we do not buy store bought beef...and whats your address, I will thin your "HURD"

And the second part of why they need to be hunted is in your 3rd sentence.

08-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
No food in the winter,

that is one of the major reasons to hunt them...the herds get too big for the food source and they starve. have you ever seen a deer that is starving, or has starved to death? it isn't pretty. i have come upon a few that had to be within hours of their death. you could walk up to them and the didn't even have the energy to get up and run, although they try. it is a long, painful sad death for them. weeks of suffering is worse than a few minutes, or an instant death

and the meat is sooo much better than beef...i just wish my wife and daughter would eat it...neither like the flavor so we have to buy beef

Hondamaster5505
08-03-2008, 07:26 AM
thanks, thats all i wanted to know.

If youre eating them, thats perfectly cool. It's part of life.

And i see what you mean about over populating. Never thought of that before..

mod440ex
08-03-2008, 04:37 PM
i have one moultrie camera and it takes really good pics.

love the flavor of deer and its so much healthier than beef.

HUNT1940
08-03-2008, 06:23 PM
some zones start early sept here in nj ,but me i will caribou hinting at the end of sept..