PDA

View Full Version : Quad transportation problems

400exrapes
07-30-2008, 07:58 PM
With gas prices these days(please no gas discussion here lol) I'm not sure I want a pick-up truck for a first car. I would to keep my quad as well though, and I'd like to get a "cool" car for my first car. I need thoughts and suggestions to what I can do instead of selling my quad and getting a dirtbike, or selling my quad to start working on cars, which i wouldnt want to do. With a dirtbike I can atleast hook it up to this mini-mini rack that hooks on to most cars that I've seen at tracks that will work perfect. Buttttt I want to stay on quads and I need some help/suggestions for what I can do to solve this. What I'm looking for, is cars, specifically a manual car, that can pull a trailer and is "cool" and decent on gas for a first car.

07-30-2008, 08:09 PM
just ride it everywhere. who needs a car or truck:blah:

Ruby Soho
07-30-2008, 08:10 PM
maybe get this guys pimp ride:muscle: ?

http://stalcup.net/photos/d/540-2/IMG_1669.jpg

haha but in all seriousness..

id look into a small pickup, you can still haul the quad and do decent on gas..

s10:p

ZeroLogic
07-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Get a little Ford Ranger.:macho

07-30-2008, 08:12 PM
or get a old toyota tundra/tocoma. good on gas:macho

400exrapes
07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
hondarider-thats not an option anymore-trails around here suck
rubysoho- you'd never catch me dead with anything remotley close to that on my property

Now i'm serious I need some options .

Ruby Soho
07-30-2008, 08:14 PM
read the bottom of my post.. i suggested an s10;)

xtullyx16
07-30-2008, 08:19 PM
dude u can get a toyota pickup, ford ranger, s10 4cyl's and they get great gas mileage.. u can lift em.. or lower em.. they look sweet! and they will help u with ur quad issue

mittman
07-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
maybe get this guys pimp ride:muscle: ?

http://stalcup.net/photos/d/540-2/IMG_1669.jpg

haha but in all seriousness..

id look into a small pickup, you can still haul the quad and do decent on gas..

s10:p

haha dont laugh the guy in my town rides his everywhere i swear its got more miles on it than my truck does. sometimes he even has his G/F with him its soooo hilarious

trx400exxracer
07-30-2008, 08:55 PM
s10 extreme

I wanted to sell my tundra and get this one in town that was for sale! It was pretty bad, but it was single cab.

mittman
07-30-2008, 09:01 PM
my cusin has a 95 dodge ram 1500 318 V-8 manual and on a good day he can get 20mpg highway and 16mpg city thats when hes not trying to chirp 4th gear lol he also has 31in tires

chris46250r
07-30-2008, 09:02 PM
If you want a car, get one. They can pull trailers. A friend of mine had a 96 Z28, and he pulled a jet ski to the lake every weekend. If you met him on the road and was say a block away, it looked like the jet ski was on top of the car but it done what he wanted. He just wasn't a truck person. I have also seen a few Mustangs with hitches. If a fourwheeler is all you are gonna pull and with gas the way it is, I dont see anything wrong with getting a car.

Ruby Soho
07-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by mittman
haha dont laugh the guy in my town rides his everywhere i swear its got more miles on it than my truck does. sometimes he even has his G/F with him its soooo hilarious

haha ya, im guilty i use friends tractors sometimes to get stuff from house to house.. such as my quad the other night at 9:30:chinese:

stoopidbot
07-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Put a hitch on a Honda Accord. They can pull a small trailer with a quad on it.

Quad18star
07-30-2008, 10:01 PM
There are tons of small cars out there that can haul a trailer around without a problem.

A couple people pointed out a few trucks .... I owned a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 ... stay away from them unless you want to spend $500 a month in gas just running around doing normal driving.

My uncle has an S10 Extreme ... I borrowed it for a week while I was car shopping . They are HARD on gas especially for a small truck.

S10 ZR2 ... another pig on gas.

What style of car do you want? 2 door or 4 door? 4 cylinder or 6?

07-30-2008, 10:13 PM
my s10 get 24 mpg...2.2l 4cyl, 5 speed manual...

i bought it in 99 because i was just like you...needed to haul a quad, but didn't wanna spend my paycheck at the pump

Keystone_Rider
07-30-2008, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't bother buying a car since most of them do not come with a trailer hitch and wiring set up for the trailer. Most do not have a transmission oil cooler that keeps your tranny from getting to hot when towing a trailer. You will wear out your tranny prematurely if you try to tow a loaded trailer without the cooler and that repair can cost up to a thousand bucks or more. That would just cost more money to get it all set up and then you will have to buy the trailer which they can go for about 500 bucks used to about 900 bucks mininmum brand new and that is just for a trailer big enough to haul your quad. You will have to get it registered, tags, inspection and all to make it street legit. You will have to maintain the trailer, replace the tires or repair them when they blow out, prevent rust, etc. It would cost more money on top of the cost of buying a car when it would be more pratical to just get a small pick-up that have the same engine/weight/milage of a small car and you do not have to buy a trailer and the expenses that come with owning a trailer. My suggestion is to look at the s10's, ranger's, tacoma's, or whatever small truck catches your eye. Think of all the money you will be saving if you don't buy a trailer and the set-up to haul one. You can use the extra cash for more ATV mods. Cars are nice and cool, but in my opinion, a four wheeler looks better on the back of a truck than on a trailer being pulled by a small car.

400ex28
07-30-2008, 11:08 PM
geo metro

stoopidbot
07-31-2008, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Keystone_Rider
I wouldn't bother buying a car since most of them do not come with a trailer hitch and wiring set up for the trailer. Most do not have a transmission oil cooler that keeps your tranny from getting to hot when towing a trailer. You will wear out your tranny prematurely if you try to tow a loaded trailer without the cooler and that repair can cost up to a thousand bucks or more. That would just cost more money to get it all set up and then you will have to buy the trailer which they can go for about 500 bucks used to about 900 bucks mininmum brand new and that is just for a trailer big enough to haul your quad. You will have to get it registered, tags, inspection and all to make it street legit. You will have to maintain the trailer, replace the tires or repair them when they blow out, prevent rust, etc. It would cost more money on top of the cost of buying a car when it would be more pratical to just get a small pick-up that have the same engine/weight/milage of a small car and you do not have to buy a trailer and the expenses that come with owning a trailer. My suggestion is to look at the s10's, ranger's, tacoma's, or whatever small truck catches your eye. Think of all the money you will be saving if you don't buy a trailer and the set-up to haul one. You can use the extra cash for more ATV mods. Cars are nice and cool, but in my opinion, a four wheeler looks better on the back of a truck than on a trailer being pulled by a small car.

You are over exagerating stuff a bit. You're telling me that a car can't pull 500 pounds without damaging the tranny, please. First you act like putting a hitch on and a wiring harness is some major project. It can be done in 30 min. Ford Rangers suck on gas unless you get the crappy little 4 banger, along with all the other trucks. You can get a hitch and harness put on a car for about 100 bucks if you can't do it your self. Really, expenses in owning a trailer? My tags cost 25 bucks a year and I've had the same tires for 2.5 years. And if you see a little rust on the trailer, nothing a piece of sandpaper and a can of clear coat won't handle. Why would you completely shoot down someones idea b/c you don't like it. He didn't ask what truck he should get, he asked what car.

Dude, get what you want. A car WILL pull a quad and a small trailer no problem.

07-31-2008, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by stoopidbot
You are over exagerating stuff a bit. You're telling me that a car can't pull 500 pounds without damaging the tranny, please. First you act like putting a hitch on and a wiring harness is some major project. It can be done in 30 min. Ford Rangers suck on gas unless you get the crappy little 4 banger, along with all the other trucks. You can get a hitch and harness put on a car for about 100 bucks if you can't do it your self. Really, expenses in owning a trailer? My tags cost 25 bucks a year and I've had the same tires for 2.5 years. And if you see a little rust on the trailer, nothing a piece of sandpaper and a can of clear coat won't handle. Why would you completely shoot down someones idea b/c you don't like it. He didn't ask what truck he should get, he asked what car.

Dude, get what you want. A car WILL pull a quad and a small trailer no problem.

it is a good thing you nailed him...i was going to...the hitch(reese) and wiring harness on my truck was no more than 150...and it would have been the same price for a car. my trailer, a 6x8 tilt bed, was $350...the title transfer was around $100(tax, title, plates, yada, yada, yada) and it costs a whopping 6 dollars a year...new wheels and tires will run you anywhere from 100 to 500...but my father in law has had the same wheels and tires on his trailer for about 9 years or so...they are still going strong.

as far as a car pulling it without damaging the tranny...i doubt you will be making cross country trips using the car or trying to go up pikes peak with the trailer in tow...and it might look a little funny, but if it works, who cares. keystone_rider can just look away while you drive by

stoopidbot
07-31-2008, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
it is a good thing you nailed him...i was going to...

I think it's hilarious when people try to make it sound like they know what they're talking about.

RideRed84
07-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Yeah thats pure BS. If you get a manual the only additional wear will be your clutch. If you want a "cool car" to pull a trailer and get decent mileage buy a 6-speed Z28. They get mid 20's on the highway, have more then enough power to pull a quad and will be a blast to drive. All around gas mileage really depends on how you drive it but it's possibel to get 18 city. My brother used to pull a 350 pilot with his T/A. You can't even see the hitch when you take out the slide in.

trx400EXtreme
07-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by 400ex28
geo metro HAHA!!!

mittman
07-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
geo metro

how about this

represent618
07-31-2008, 01:41 PM
I can oull 2 quads with my Grand Prix GTP and smoke on by any trucks, with the AC blowing nice and cool.

I have a 4x4 SUV that I prefer to use though

Keystone_Rider
07-31-2008, 06:45 PM
The guy who started this post was asking for peoples suggestions right?! I was not the first person to suggest a truck. I was simply giving "my opinion" on the topic...isnt that what these topics are all about???? If you dont like what you read then maybe you can turn your head when you see my post just as you suggested I do when I see him towing with his car. Personally, I could care less what he gets..its his money, not mine...so you all can make an issue out of nothing if thats all you have time to do, I have funner things to do, like ride.

400exrapes
07-31-2008, 08:07 PM
i read every response and they all prove good points. I thought about f350's and get the stacks (exhaust coming through the bed vertically) and then I thought about mustang's pulling a trailer . All I need to know is if I can buy a hitch for a mustang or such type of car and it's settled.

07-31-2008, 10:16 PM
thanks for the pm keystone...sorry that i had to give some facts to refute your narrow minded opinion. it may not be the best way to do it, but it is not nearly as impossible as would make it seem. those of us that disareed with you did so because of your presention and inaccuracies, not to offend you.

Keystone_Rider
08-01-2008, 03:17 AM
nothing to be sorry about, I'm not even offended either. I was making a point that it cost extra money if one is going to get a car and needs to transport a quad. And around where I live, the prices of trailers are what I said, i stand by that and it's accurate. I'm not narrow minded at all, I applaud all the guys and gals that use their cars and trailer to get their toys around. I would do that too if I already had a car, but in this case, it was about a guy that was thinking about getting a car, he didn't even buy one yet. I was just making a suggestion that he should get a truck to save money from buying a trailer and accessories. If he wants to get a car, so be it. good for him. I couldn't care less about what people have to say or pick apart what i say. I made a point that it cost more money and you verified it for me. "the hitch(reese) and wiring harness on my truck was no more than 150...and it would have been the same price for a car. my trailer, a 6x8 tilt bed, was $350...the title transfer was around $100(tax, title, plates, yada, yada, yada)" 600 bucks right there. For a truck, it doesn't cost anything extra. And I'm gonna guess you are 28 or younger.

400exrapes
08-01-2008, 07:04 AM
nothing to be sorry about, I'm not even offended either. I was making a point that it cost extra money if one is going to get a car and needs to transport a quad. And around where I live, the prices of trailers are what I said, i stand by that and it's accurate. I'm not narrow minded at all, I applaud all the guys and gals that use their cars and trailer to get their toys around. I would do that too if I already had a car, but in this case, it was about a guy that was thinking about getting a car, he didn't even buy one yet. I was just making a suggestion that he should get a truck to save money from buying a trailer and accessories. If he wants to get a car, so be it. good for him. I couldn't care less about what people have to say or pick apart what i say. I made a point that it cost more money and you verified it for me. "the hitch(reese) and wiring harness on my truck was no more than 150...and it would have been the same price for a car. my trailer, a 6x8 tilt bed, was $350...the title transfer was around $100(tax, title, plates, yada, yada, yada)" 600 bucks right there. For a truck, it doesn't cost anything extra. And I'm gonna guess you are 28 or younger.

Very true, what kind of trucks are "Cool" to drive? If I were to get a truck it would need to be a manual, and possibly have the potential for stacks cause those are awesome. Still once again I'd rather get a car I can hook a trailer up to because I dont always need to shred gas money when the only time I will be hauling a quad is 2-4 times a month

08-01-2008, 07:11 AM
I got a 99 trans am ws6 that I use as my tow vehicle. It's a hidden hitch you can't see unless you lay on the ground. The wiring was really easy to do also. As for needing a transmission cooler. I looked it up and they rated my car at 1000 pound towing, lmao. I got a trailer at home depot 5x8 for 500 dollars BRAND NEW. So that other guy doesn't know anything. And yes, you can get a wiring kit, and trailer hitch for a mustang. It will only be a class 1 or class 2 though. More than you need. Just have to get a heavy duty blinker solinoid otherwise it blinks really really slow or really really really fast. It annoys the hell out of you.

08-01-2008, 03:09 PM
. And I'm gonna guess you are 28 or younger.

why 28 or younger...look at my profile...i am 35.

what you a failing to realize is that he don't really want a truck...he wants something sporty like a car...AND he wants to be able to trailer his quad. you made it seem like it could not be done. after the initial cost, a trailer is no more than a truck. that cost can easily be offset by the difference a car cost than a truck. truck tires cost more, registration is more. not as good of fuel milage. less space in a truck(remember he would be going with a mini for fuel reasons).

don't get me wrong, i agree that a truck is the better option, but it is not his only option.

400exrapes
08-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
why 28 or younger...look at my profile...i am 35.

what you a failing to realize is that he don't really want a truck...he wants something sporty like a car...AND he wants to be able to trailer his quad. you made it seem like it could not be done. after the initial cost, a trailer is no more than a truck. that cost can easily be offset by the difference a car cost than a truck. truck tires cost more, registration is more. not as good of fuel milage. less space in a truck(remember he would be going with a mini for fuel reasons).

don't get me wrong, i agree that a truck is the better option, but it is not his only option.

I agree with your middle paragraph, i want something sporty like a car, a mustang for instance is not very expensive, I can buy a trailer and hook that up and that way when i need to haul my quad i hook it up... but if I get a truck i'm always driving that around getting bad gas mileage. A mustang doesnt get great gas mileage either, but if I'm going to get bad gas mileage it better atleast be a sporty car. I thought about a turbo diesel f350 with stacks, that would be awesome but that would be option number 2.

stoopidbot
08-02-2008, 09:06 AM
I wasn't trying to be a prick, a trailer is generally a one time purchase with a small yearly fee to put tags on it. Yes, you can put a hitch on just about any car. I used to install them for Uhaul.