PDA

View Full Version : Control/Comfort/Ergo Issues... Bars & Pegs

MtnEX
07-30-2008, 03:19 AM
Hi all... I'm a bit uncomfortable on my 400EX.

I'm only 6' tall, but still not feeling I am in my best body position for comfort and control of my 400EX.

I feel like maybe my pegs are too high and my bars are too low.

I have FAT pegs and Pro Taper taperwall bars.
Sitting down, I feel my knees are too high and my bars are too far forward... and when I get real agressive, breaking the rear end loose, swinging off the side of the seat, my hand guards and knees get pretty close.

I rolled the bars back a bit, really as far as I felt OK with for clearance for the above situation. It feels some better, but could be better.

Standing, the bars seem low. When I come up fully, knees still unlocked, I'm still crouching over a bit much it seems.

Now... I like the feel of the FAT pegs, but I think I want to go lower. The stock heel guards are gone and the nerfs don't have any. So I'm open to about any suggestions, all the way to getting a full-set Nerfs/Heels/Pegs. I want to know what my options are for going lower.

My bars I think are just the wrong bend for me. Too low and maybe too straight. But they are 1 1/8" diameter at the mounts... so the bars mount with a conversion riser that has a 7/8" adapter piece fitting down into the stock lower. So I am not sure I can help myself with any sort of riser.

These are very good bars in my opinion, and I hate NOT to use them. But I was thinking about trying an ATV, 400EX, or Universal ATV bend.... maybe TAG2 since my Cyrcas might be taperwall specific.... or something else. Fasst Flexx, Renthal, etc?

This feeling could be from a month on the Sport 400, but I know that's not all of it... my setup is off I'm afraid...

Open to suggestions/advice on bars and lower pegs.

1krazyquadridr
07-30-2008, 07:35 PM
There are a couple of different things you could do. I've got a set of Pro Pegs, and I flipped the mounts from side to side so it dropped the peg location about 1-2 inches. Additionally you could go with a +1 or +2 steering stem with the 1 1/8" mount. I'm about the same height as you and did both on mine, and it really gave the bike a diffeent feel. Just some thoughts.

MtnEX
08-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Pro Pegs huh.... hummmm...

Sounds good, but I can't find any pictures of a 400EX with Pro Pegs to get a better visual of how that would work.

Do you happen to have any pictures you could share?

MtnEX
08-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Anyone else have suggestions on the peg lowering?

What about PRM, Pro Armor, DG, AC or other full sets of pegs/nerfs/heel guards?

Fred55
08-02-2008, 08:31 AM
It's not on a 400ex, but for both my YFZ and LTR ive noticed that my most comfortable set up for me(6'2") is low flat bars and an extended steering stem, on my yfz and ltr i had +1 houser stems and CR-low bars and the set up felt great for me.

bbender85
08-02-2008, 08:15 PM
at 6'3" i felt the same way... these made a world of difference:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s248/bbender85/quad/DSC03315.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s248/bbender85/quad/DSC03336.jpg

MtnEX
08-03-2008, 02:52 AM
Cool... so you have rise and dual adustment... cool...

So what height rise did you go with and did you have to replace any cables?

You're 6' 3".... what did you do with the pegs?

bbender85
08-03-2008, 08:19 AM
yep, the dual adjustment is nice!

i went with the two inch. i had planned on the 3.5", but someone on here posted these up for sale. now i am glad i went 2", cuz any more and the cables wouldn't have worked. i had to move the throttle assembly in on the bar and angle it down just a hair to not overstretch it (sharp left turns revved the motor, yikes!), otherwise it was just bolt on and go.

i have not looked into pegs yet. to be honest, i never thought about it, haha. if you do go with something definitely post your feedback, i'd be interested to see what you come up with.

MtnEX
08-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Well, at least I have some ideas to sort through on the bars.

As for the pegs, I think I'll start a different thread. I'd like to find a peg/nerf w/heel guard I can buy and mount a bit lower. An all-in-one..... because I don't have heel guards anyways and want them.

TheNewn
08-03-2008, 07:49 PM
I would recommend getting a +2 steering stem like some others have suggested. You can get a Burgard for about 200 bucks or a couple others for around the same price.

As for pegs, im not sure which brands lower the peg placement, you might want to try e-mailing the companies like AC and Pro Armor and see if they have that type of set up, i'd be interested in it as well.