PDA

View Full Version : Hit a deer on my quad last night!

Keystone_Rider
07-30-2008, 02:56 AM
My son and I went riding the other night (which we do a lot) where there is hundreds of acres of woods and fields. Naturally there are deer everywhere. I was riding my ‘08 LTR 450 in 4th nearly wide open and there was this one deer running away from me. Unfortunately without any warning this doe turned around and ran right into the front end of my quad. Let just say the impact was unforgettable and sickening. The deer probably flew back about 20 feet and was making the most messed up noise and thrashing I ever seen/heard. It died after about 5 mins. This doe was a full grown deer, about 150 lbs at least. Before I hit it, I was lucky it kinda hunched down below handlebar level before I hit it or else I wouldn’t be here writing this thread tonight. My quad is a mess, my plastics on the front, fenders and radiator scoop are all broken. My light still works except for the high beam. There are deer hair all over my front shocks and inner-works of the front end.
I know of the risk of hitting deer while riding at night, but what happened the other night is not going to stop me from riding at night. I’ll just be more alert next time.
Anyone ever hit a deer while riding a quad or dirtbike? Tell us what happened.

stoopidbot
07-30-2008, 03:50 AM
That sucks, I would hate to see the deer suffering like that. Sorry about the quad.

trailrider1156
07-30-2008, 05:47 AM
I've only clipped one that left a bit of hair on the front end.

Hitting one head on must of been eyeopening :eek2:

Anyway, you got venison in the freezer now?

07-30-2008, 06:35 AM
that sucks...but if i were in that situation, with the deer moving the same direction as me, i would have stopped until it went off the trail...almost sounds like you were chasing it...

stoopidbot
07-30-2008, 07:51 AM
I've chased a moose before, I'm glad he didn't turn around.

450rRacer22
07-30-2008, 08:00 AM
That sucks man, glad your ok. That was always a fear of mine when i would head back home at night going wide open down the trails, luckily it never happened. Once i did see a guy and his quad down in the ditch off the trail because he hit a deer. I helped him pull his quad out, luckily he was ok.

beaker1214
07-30-2008, 08:11 AM
I was flying down a farm road that goes through the orchards and was running 5th gear and a deer ran out in front of me and obviously I didnt hit it bc I wouldnt be here writting this but it sure as heck scared the crap outa me....At least your ok, that sucks

k4f5x0r
07-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by stoopidbot
I've chased a moose before, I'm glad he didn't turn around.

That just made me Lol.

and ive never heard of that happening. ive seen deer while riding but even with a stock exhaust they run away immediatley.

BlaineKaiser450
07-30-2008, 09:50 AM
wow thats pretty crazy! Im glad nothing like that has happened to me lol

Robin Hood
07-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Hit a deer 5th gear wide open on a long windy road by me. I made a thread like 2 years ago on it too.

I was with 2 other kids on 400exs. One had a light, the other didnt. It got dark so we decided to take road home. The 2 ex's were in front of me and I had my lights on and let off for a sec to try and pull a wheelie on my 660. I put her back down and hammered on the gas to catch back up when I saw a shadow hop over the fence and dart out in front of me. Nailed the deer then went over the bars only to have the deer roll back up the quad and drag me off the back with it. I rolled into the fence along side my quad and the deer rolled into the road. After about 5 minutes of wondering where I was, my friends came back and found me gasping for air on the ground.

About the same time that my friends arrived, a car pulled up. It was an elderly couple and they asked if one of us hit a deer. I told them I did and they told us that they watched it drag itself across the road and die near the fence about 100 yards back. I was alright but the raptor was a mess. Ruined my lights, snapped my bumper off and warped my fenders and radiator. It's pretty disgusting pulling deer fur out of your quad then cleaning the blood and skin off.

elementryder
07-30-2008, 03:07 PM
my freinds dad died after hitting a deer

07-30-2008, 03:18 PM
I have a cousin that hit a deer hauling balls down the road by my ***. He hit the side of it, and destroyed the deer...completely. It looked like a tornado went through it, and wreaked havoc on everything. Needless to say, he got thrown over the handle bars, breaking both hands and wrists, and got road rash on his *** and lower back. But the one thing we couldn't quite figure out was that when he hit the deer...His left shoe got thrown 20 feet infront of him, and his right shoe got thrown 10 feet behind him. :confused:

redlineranger
07-30-2008, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stoopidbot
I've chased a moose before, I'm glad he didn't turn around. [/QUOTE

lol, that could've caused some damage:ermm:

sucks about you quad though man, those deer will do some funny things. at least you didnt get hurt, and at least the deer didnt suffer too long

Exrider434
07-30-2008, 08:55 PM
i hit the back end of a huge buck last year, i went over the bars and the quad flipped forward and broke some plastic mounts and bent the tie rod... when i got up i was too worried about the quad to care about the deer, there was no sign of it on my way out though..

coryatver
07-30-2008, 09:29 PM
a guy around here hit a deer and he died. We were just talking to him about 15 min before it happen he was talking to some friends at there place they were going to go out he had to go home to his place and on the way back wacked a deer with his honda 4x4 he flew off and got killed. The deer to. Deer and quads are nothing to mess around with.

Keystone_Rider
07-30-2008, 09:29 PM
stoopidbot wouldn't have nothing to worry about with the moose, they are so tall, he would have driven underneath it. lol.

Trailrider1156, venison is good, but this deer i hit got it pretty good and I don't think I would be in the mood for black and blue meat. lol.

Speedyquad, I definitely wasn't chasing it, I know deer are dumb when they see headlights and they seem to have a habit running to the lights. I have seen the damage they do to cars and trucks and us quad/bike guys are not even protected on a quad like people in a car/truck are.

Sorry to hear all the guys here that got hurt and their quads got messed up. I was lucky and very fortunate to hit the deer in a way that spared me from getting seriously hurt. Next time I'll just bring along my gun and shoot the dumb *** bambi before it messes my quad or me up. lol. j/k.

Exrider434, i seen a big buck the other day, it had a big *** ATV bumper imprint on it's butt, maybe it's the one you hit?? lol

honda300EXtreme
07-30-2008, 09:59 PM
jeeze sorry to hear about your luck,''

but atleast your ok and now you have an interesting night time riding story

trx310R#24
07-31-2008, 12:04 AM
i was riding in 6th gear an a deer ran in front of me... i missed it by an inch i may have taped its back legs im not sure

trx310R#24
07-31-2008, 12:07 AM
i want to see pics of the deer an bike?

trx310R#24
07-31-2008, 12:30 AM
i just tot of somthing they sell them will black things at autozone to keep deers away from cars they work of wind put one on your quad if you ride at night alot

Keystone_Rider
07-31-2008, 12:33 AM
Trx, the deer was killed. It thrashed around like crazy and died with it's eyes wide opened and tongue sticking out all the way. And three of it's legs were broken, twisted in an unatural way. I'm not going to take a pic of a dead animal that just got hit and post it. Not my thing. My quad is all taken apart in front, just waiting to find good parts for it so kinda too late for pics of the carnage.

Keystone_Rider
07-31-2008, 12:39 AM
I've seen those deer alert things from auto stores, but I doubt it would work since my exhaust is loud and would scared most deer to begin with. I don't think they would hear it over the exhaust. We see alot of deer all the time but they are far away,as far as the light can reach, or I don't see nothing but their glowing eyes before they disappear. For some reason, this deer just didn't run away going straight, it turned around on me the last 50 - 60 feet before impact. I had no time to reach especially the speed i was going.

trx310R#24
07-31-2008, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Keystone_Rider
Trx, the deer was killed. It thrashed around like crazy and died with it's eyes wide opened and tongue sticking out all the way. And three of it's legs were broken, twisted in an unatural way. I'm not going to take a pic of a dead animal that just got hit and post it. Not my thing. My quad is all taken apart in front, just waiting to find good parts for it so kinda too late for pics of the carnage.

never mind i did not think ok what it would look like that had to be sick i dont want to see blood