View Full Version : kinda bummed

mxduner
07-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I have been fighting a somewhat stiff clutch pull, and a tranny that is tough to find neutral.After doing some research, i found alot of problems similar to mine were linked to lack of the 89 clutch update.well i just took my clutch cover off and discovered that it already has the update. d a m n i t !:mad: I'm gonna put new plates in and springs in.The basket wasn't all that grooved out, like i was hoping:confused: any help would be awesome guys.

Aceman
07-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Sounds like your on the right track. Just go through it one step at a time. Check your cable/lever. Check your fibers/steels to see if they're still in spec. Check spring length, etc. There's not a whole lot to the clutch, you'll figure it out.

86 Quad R
07-30-2008, 09:07 AM
do as Ace suggested and while your in there you should inspect the inner hub for grooving aswell. grooving is the leading cause of many clutch issues in conjunction with worn plates and/or weak springs.

mxduner
07-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
do as Ace suggested and while your in there you should inspect the inner hub for grooving aswell. grooving is the leading cause of many clutch issues in conjunction with worn plates and/or weak springs.
Sounds like your on the right track. Just go through it one step at a time. Check your cable/lever. Check your fibers/steels to see if they're still in spec. Check spring length, etc. There's not a whole lot to the clutch, you'll figure it out.

aceman, i just installed a knock off brand ez clutch lever, outlaw is the brand, which is like a works connection, and perch along with a new cable and that made a ton of difference.I also had to slightly tweak the cable holder off the mag cover to help alignment, and that made a good amount of difference. unfortunately that didn't help finding neutral. which was expected.So the next step for the neutral prob was the 89 update, which unfortunately was already done.

86, thanks for the input! I will definitely check for the grooving on the inner hub

While i have it apart I'm gonna just replace the steels and fibers, along with the springs.Just to be safe.
the steels are slightly worn and most likely warped, and the fibers aint got a whole lot left to them,and seems i cant find my stinkin manual i don't have any specs on any of the the parts (free length etc)

mxduner
07-30-2008, 01:52 PM
the lifter that came out of my quad does not have a hole drilled like the 1 n the kit:confused:

86 Quad R
07-30-2008, 02:09 PM
which lifter is currently in your engine?

mxduner
07-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
which lifter is currently in your engine? heres some photos of my setup minus the washer, oops forgot to throw it in the pichttp://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/duner929/DSC00418.jpg
and a photo (kinda) of the new lifter. I t has 2 holes drilled 90 degrees of each other, totaling 4 holes... well duhhttp://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/duner929/DSC00422.jpg

and the box p/n i ordered and what i got.(just for reassurance) to any nay sayers:confused: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/duner929/DSC00423.jpg

trx310R#24
07-31-2008, 05:58 AM
that would be the 88

mine dont go in to N easyan it is getting a lil hard to pull in the clutch but i never really thot about it... im hard on my clutch an its the basket i have to put another one in :rolleyes: iv opend the clutch side of an r idk how many times... i hate how stuff gos bad its not even a year old but its messed up

mxduner
07-31-2008, 09:37 PM
that would be the 88
in the illustration the 88 looks like a solid rod and lifter? am i wrong about this?

86 Quad R
08-01-2008, 10:06 PM
yep. it's rod against button with a cir-clip that holds it in there.

mxduner
08-02-2008, 12:10 AM
so yea it looks as if i got the 89 update in there already, however the holes drilled out in the new push rod makes me wonder if its an updated part. Anybody else seen this before, kinda thinking its for better oil transfer:confused: i just might have to modify my current one, and return the kit.:p