View Full Version : long travel setp

400lag
07-29-2008, 07:01 PM
so I went ahead and bought a long travel setup from c&d racing

yesterday went with the houser slicast and the custom axis comp

adj shocks w piggybacks. already have a pep zps rear dual rate

shock in the back from my ex does anyone else run a setup

similair to this and if so whats your opinion on it?

400exrider707
07-30-2008, 07:23 AM
So you have a great front end coming, but you're running a rear shock from a 400ex on your R? Why? It isn't correct. I'd fix that problem first.

400lag
07-30-2008, 05:04 PM
so your saying that running a P.E.P. ZPS rear shock with this

setup is wrong? seth from sf racing and colby from c&d racing

say ill be fine can you explain that for me. I probably sound like

an idiot id just like it spelled out for me. thanks:)

400exrider707
07-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Well the 400ex rear shock is almost a full inch longer than the 450R shock. The leverage ratios from the linkage/swingarm setups are different so the valving and spring rates would be different. It may bolt up and feel OK, but it doesn't make it correct. Perhaps there is a way for them to mod it and make it work on your quad. They would have to shorten the shaft I would think though. If they both said it's ok, then it's probably just that.... OK.

I prefer to put corresponding parts on my quad, but that's just me.

It's the same with the 450R fronts on the 400ex's. A lot of people do it. It's a good upgrade over stock and its relatively inexpensive. However it's still not correct and a good set of aftermarkets made for that quad will work better. The 450R fronts can actually be modded by C&D and the likes to work properly, but they shorten the shafts on them.

Like I said it might be close enough to work, but it seems you have/had the money to buy a very nice front end, so I would think you would want the rear end to match.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

xsr_racing28c
07-31-2008, 09:25 AM
I'd say take out about $300 from your bank account and get that rear re-shafted and re-valved. Though it will probably bolt up, its not going to be the setup your gonna want. When going to aftermarket suspension, its worth the extra $ to make it work right, so please do just that, MAKE IT RIGHT! :D

Jay

400lag
07-31-2008, 04:50 PM
so can you tell me if an 05 r elka long travel rear shock would work on my quad?